What's new

Question Do Grundy mains need a secondary?

Gruff757

The Gruff
dude, legion, i see where you are coming from but don't tear the guy apart for deciding to look to more horizons. It's his choice in the end, and nothing you or I say will change it.

Now I will say that I pretty much do defense chain against people 75% of the time now and go for the quickest life lead I can in the first round, you can pretty much just walk away and make the opponent kill themselves trying to take your life down since they cant chip you to death with their projectiles.

I decided to not chase my opponents anymore, but I went about it a different way. :)

dude, legion, i see where you are coming from but don't tear the guy apart for deciding to look to more horizons. It's his choice in the end, and nothing you or I say will change it.

Now I will say that I pretty much do defense chain against people 75% of the time now and go for the quickest life lead I can in the first round, you can pretty much just walk away and make the opponent kill themselves trying to take your life down since they cant chip you to death with their projectiles.

I decided to not chase my opponents anymore, but I went about it a different way. :)
No, dude, I don't care if he plays Adam.If he likes the character have fun man. Shit if MMH gets in I drop both Sinestro and Grundy and go to the new horizons, just because I dreamt of playing him before the game even came out.I am actually sorry for people who are playing just to win or they are not happy. And sorry for the community which will have to watch Evo top 8 with 5 Supermen, 2 Adams and maybe a Killer Frost (I mean 16 bit:))but I am happy to speak to people like you who develop characters a lot, without really worrying that they will lose matches along the way. That's what this community is for developing character strategies and making the game even more fun. And it is even funny to listen to most casual online players cause I think only people who play competitively for money should seriously worry about viability of their mains.

Thats what I started doing against certain characters. Random server players using deathstroke get pretty confused by me sitting there and blocking. what was funny was watching one waste the last 20 seconds just trying to do that one last tick of damage to my first life bar and not being able to do enough damage to do it. .02 per hit of the assault rifle is just funny. I may try it against nightwings who like to use staff too. I'm not sure how much damage you take in defense on the staff. Sinestro you need to use it but that match takes forever regardless defense chain does such terrible damage.

It might be a really viable option against any of the characters that try to zone grundy superman adam arrow etc...

Gruff757

The Gruff
Thats what I started doing against certain characters. Random server players using deathstroke get pretty confused by me sitting there and blocking. what was funny was watching one waste the last 20 seconds just trying to do that one last tick of damage to my first life bar and not being able to do enough damage to do it. .02 per hit of the assault rifle is just funny. I may try it against nightwings who like to use staff too. I'm not sure how much damage you take in defense on the staff. Sinestro you need to use it but that match takes forever regardless defense chain does such terrible damage.

It might be a really viable option against any of the characters that try to zone grundy superman adam arrow etc...

I feel like Grundy needs to just threaten timeouts and then unleash hell when opponents get too hasty.

ReZo

MKX
No, dude, I don't care if he plays Adam.If he likes the character have fun man. Shit if MMH gets in I drop both Sinestro and Grundy and go to the new horizons, just because I dreamt of playing him before the game even came out.I am actually sorry for people who are playing just to win or they are not happy. And sorry for the community which will have to watch Evo top 8 with 5 Supermen, 2 Adams and maybe a Killer Frost (I mean 16 bit:))but I am happy to speak to people like you who develop characters a lot, without really worrying that they will lose matches along the way. That's what this community is for developing character strategies and making the game even more fun. And it is even funny to listen to most casual online players cause I think only people who play competitively for money should seriously worry about viability of their mains.

When I wanted to find a secondary I sat down for 3 days going over every character in the game, their BnB's, and if their playstyle appeals to the way I like to move and stuff.

Dropping Grundy as my main hurt my feelings alot because I played him since day 1, it was the only character I liked in the game.

After those 3 days I felt most comfortable with Adam because his dash was similar distance to Grundy's dash, so I could move around well, which I liked. I could also punish people fullscreen for spamming projectiles, which appealed to me alot since I ONLY used Grundy.

I am going to top of the food chain in 2 days, and CEO in orlando, and felt I needed another "main" to compensate for some of the harder matchups for Grundy.

When I play DD, I prefer playing Grundy, and some other characters I prefer Grundy over Adam.

Don't write me out yet, I said from day 1 that I would bring Grundy to the Tourney scene, and hopefully be successful.

I plan to have two main's rather than a main and a secondary. But i'll have to see, hopefully I can represent the Grundy army at the tourney scene, since there actually is need of a representative :p

Nonameformedude

That Yung Big Body
Its really as simple as this. You dont NEED secondary, but it is advised for certain matchups. Grundy has all the tolls and the stats to beat out any character if you play a great game and read your opponent, BUT in certain matchups your margin of error is higher. Lets say is Grundy vs DS . Once Grundy is in and gets his health chain, he can use his option to stay on top of DS and if he keeps reading well he will easily take the match..but if he gets knocked outside of mid range DS zoning game can do massive damage to him on his way back in. The DS player can cause just as much threat to you from any distance so dropping a combo or wiffing hard posses more of a threat to Grundy. The matchups perse arent bad for grundy, its just that if grundy makes an error it becomes bad because of his lack of threats outside sweep range

SIMPLE ANSWER: Yes, all Grundys should also play GL. Surprisingly similar except for outside sweep range

I like to run Green Arrow and Grundy as co-mains. Was Bane/Grundy.... but..... yeah......

A big part of playing Grundy is the threat he poses at any given time due to trait and WC pressure, almost every string is a throw mix-up and he forces the opponent to play with that in mind. Green Arrow feels a lot like Grundy. Where Grundy's mix-ups are, more or less, centered around whether or not the grab is going to come out, GA's are all about the freeze arrow and the low/overhead arrow mix-up (prefer to end my freeze arrow combo's with another loaded ice arrow instead of more damage, but that's just because I like the idea of knowing the other guy knows I can do this all day).

The difference comes in with the way they play their match-ups. Grundy has to be pretty aggressive, he's too slow to react to a rushdown without burning meter. Because of this, his harder match-ups are against very aggressive characters. He needs to be an aggressive threat and force the opponent to make the wrong read.

GA is more defensive, in my experience. He's fast enough to punish a lot more than Grundy, and because of that he doesn't have to be a looming threat 24/7. Instead, you wait for your opponent to make a move and punish him with a 25-30% freeze arrow combo, then end it with loading another. When they get scared, then you come in with your mix-up game. You also have the choice to play GA as pure rushdown or zone if you want, though the former is not something that I'm particularly good at and the latter isn't something GA excels in.

But... I'm a newb.... so yeah...

Jeffreys

Grundy think you handsome!
Play Scorpion against those bullshit characters and watch 90% of the zoners send you hatemail. :)

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
If the first hit of staff spin whiffs then you can cancel WC for a full combo punish in their recovery frames. Its just a matter of not being up on them when they wakeup.
you can NJ staff spin on wakup if you time the jump

NW beats up on a ton of people ... but not the tank.

Too bad he has to work like a mule to touch people

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Your right, I am no longer a Grundy main.

I don't know anyone that enjoys chasing people around the map, more power to you, come play my BA, and after we fight, I doubt you will enjoy chasing people around anymore
This is probably teh closest thing to what I felt as well.

He is broken and a great grappler.... its just the game doesn't really allow him to use it.

If we ever agree to turn off interactables... I can see him being MUCH more viable.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I forgot to ask you Mike, did you try airgrabbing Superman when he tried to dash at you in the air? I'm sure that air grab is invincible and you can blow it up all day
This is mad late, but yes I tried and got auto corrected into a cleaver.

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
This is probably teh closest thing to what I felt as well.

He is broken and a great grappler.... its just the game doesn't really allow him to use it.

If we ever agree to turn off interactables... I can see him being MUCH more viable.

I actually thinks Grundy needs the interactables to have an easier time against zoners.
WCC is a real threat for the opponent that wants to use an interactable.
BTW, in the last week I'm doing extremely better with Grundy than in the past, I'm changing my mind about him xd maybe it's not impossible to do well in tournament with Grundy.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I actually thinks Grundy needs the interactables to have an easier time against zoners.
WCC is a real threat for the opponent that wants to use an interactable.
BTW, in the last week I'm doing extremely better with Grundy than in the past, I'm changing my mind about him xd maybe it's not impossible to do well in tournament with Grundy.
i always find myself getting close... then an interactable pops me full screen before I react.

The zoners themselves are fair .... except Black Adams lightning.... Grundy can't even jump it consistently :(

NoobSaibot

PSN: JP_THUNDA
took the words outta my mouth, I've always mained characters because i liked them, it's sad to see people who "like" a character instantly drop them when they realize someone else is better. My cousin did that in mk9 and made the game almost unplayable for me

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
I guess if you were looking for a character to cover Grundy's bad matchups to train as a backup, I'd suggest Black Adam. He has an entirely different match flow and the tactics folks use on Grundy would likely get blown up by him. The Black Magic move would feel like home for anyone used to swamp hands throwing, but you gain the wakeups, AA, and projectile strength along with his good mobility and juggle properties that let you convert just about anything into combos that do good damage. You can play him inside or outside so he shouldn't bore fans of in your face stuff.

Honestly though just play whoever you have fun with as a backup. I'm using Bane as a backup to my Green Arrow and online I use Batgirl when connections are too laggy to trust him. I just like the way combos and match paces feel with those two and I like them as characters a lot. Go for that and its pretty rewarding even in bad matchups.

Mestizo3

Noob
I've been playing as Batgirl and I think she also is a great sub for Grundy, because she blows up zoners like nobody's business.

Its really as simple as this. You dont NEED secondary, but it is advised for certain matchups. Grundy has all the tolls and the stats to beat out any character if you play a great game and read your opponent, BUT in certain matchups your margin of error is higher. Lets say is Grundy vs DS . Once Grundy is in and gets his health chain, he can use his option to stay on top of DS and if he keeps reading well he will easily take the match..but if he gets knocked outside of mid range DS zoning game can do massive damage to him on his way back in. The DS player can cause just as much threat to you from any distance so dropping a combo or wiffing hard posses more of a threat to Grundy. The matchups perse arent bad for grundy, its just that if grundy makes an error it becomes bad because of his lack of threats outside sweep range

SIMPLE ANSWER: Yes, all Grundys should also play GL. Surprisingly similar except for outside sweep range

First mistake is using a health chain on deathstroke. You want to use defense chain against him. If you get the lead he's forced to come to you. Assault rifle chip damage is reduced to .06 so you need about 17 assault rifles to do 1% of damage. I don't think its feasible to make up a 20% life lead with chip damage at that point.

It's interesting people talk about zoners. For the most part I don't have an issue with zoning characters. Exceptions are sinestro but maybe that was cuz its pigs sinestro and hawkgirl running. Black adam's that try to zne usually lose to me but rushing in gives me problems. Not much I can do about dive kick.

Every character has some bad matches and every main should have an alternate this isn't exclusive to grundy.

Nonameformedude

That Yung Big Body
Play Scorpion against those bullshit characters and watch 90% of the zoners send you hatemail. :)
Im sorry but scorpion is the most brain dead character in this game. If you have ANY skill at reading and spend and hour in training practicing a 35% bnb off teleport you can just bullshit all game. it literally takes no skill to blow up a high level player. Also after any knock down you can just guess for free damage or a reset(hellfire or tele). Its not so much a problem as it is weak, people who play scorpion seriously are weak at this game and will stop playing him once everyone is use to blowing up his tp with their bnb 30+% cobos