What's new

Question Do Grundy mains need a secondary?

XxXAntiJoshXxX

Herpetologist - The Study of The Reptillian
You guys struggling in some matches should REALLY look to using the defense trait

Taking ZERO chip damage is a big deal.... and forces everyone to come get you. I'd bet that once you guys figure it all out... Grundy will be a time out machine.

I thought it was just reduced chip damage. Is it really zero?

I think there's an issue here in that if you pick up Superman/BA/GL as a secondary why play Grundy? It's not like they lose the matches that Grundy wins. In fact they probably win them better than Grundy. It's unfortunate but when you have top tier characters with few or no truly bad matchups why even play a character with a matchup chart like Grundy's?
Because everybody knows and understands the match up with superman batman green lantern etc... Its still pretty common to find people totally unfamiliar with how to deal with grundy. You have a better shot beating a superior opponent running grundy because of inexperience. For example I run into a lot of batmans who try to zone me with grundy and I body them. Most people see grappler and think run away but grundy deals poorly with pressure. His fastest move is 8 frames and its hit box isn't amazing after that you're looking at 11 and 12 frame moves. Dealing with characters that have 6 and 8 frame moves up close is going to force you to make a read and burn meter.

Jeffreys

Grundy think you handsome!
honestly I have been playing Grundy for a while and it feels like hes average, his normals are too slow, way too many throwimmune moves in this game, I dont know but im thinking about taking the easy way out and picking up either Superman, Batman, S tier character etc and have an answer for almost everything.

Honestly playing Grundy now feels like playing Subzero again in MK9. I am not planning on going through that pain again. I may just use Grundy if im playing against those rare few that dont main top tier or very close to top tier characters.

Thats the price you pay for having unclashable damage and 50% resets AND an anti air in this game.

I'm assuming this post was before the nerf, but just in case it wasn't, what unclashable damage are you referring to?

And yea I think grundy mains need a sub, you look at most fighting games and you rarely ever see grapplers win tournaments simply because of the way they are designed they will almost always have those match-ups that make you wanna stop playing fighting games.

I always planned on playing grundy and wonder woman, but it turns out she does well against a number of his bad match-ups so that's just gravy for me.

Jeffreys

Grundy think you handsome!
I think we all need a secondary, no matter who you play. You would even see REO switch out of Kabal time to time
No Kabal literally had no losing matchups, once REO realized this he stopped the shennanigans with other characters like Kung Lao.

Loasted

Noob
Honestly this question is to dependent on other factors.

If you plan on playing in tournaments where right now the hardest match-ups for Grundy are being played regularly (ie. superman, black adam) it's recommended that you do pick up a secondary character.

If you are like me and play casually in Ranked you do not need a secondary. You can hide your cursor to try to avoid someone from counter-picking Grundy or you can just say screw it and instant lock Grundy and just do your best to learn the bad match-ups.

If you cannot handle the bad match-ups and are just fed up with the way Grundy performs in said match-ups just pick a new main.

ReZo

MKX
Yeah its sad really, I picked up BA as my secondary, and I can do the same damage as Grundy in combo's with just a little more precise timing required, and BA's matchups are all really good imo, Now I am at the point where I dont see any reason to go back and play Grundy when BA makes all of Grundy's bad matchups manageable, Now BA is my main lol

Long story short, after suffering threw bad matchups with Grundy for so long, I was almost ecstatic finding out I could punish people for zoning finally, so nice. Besides SH ofc lol

Yeah its sad really, I picked up BA as my secondary, and I can do the same damage as Grundy in combo's with just a little more precise timing required, and BA's matchups are all really good imo, Now I am at the point where I dont see any reason to go back and play Grundy when BA makes all of Grundy's bad matchups manageable, Now BA is my main lol

Long story short, after suffering threw bad matchups with Grundy for so long, I was almost ecstatic finding out I could punish people for zoning finally, so nice. Besides SH ofc lol

If you were struggling against zoning with grundy I think you're playing him wrong. With the exception of green lantern most zoners don't do that well against him. Mini gun just blows up his armor. Adam wins more due to dive kick than anything else. Most people that beat grundy do it by out pressuring him not by zoning him.

ReZo

MKX
If you were struggling against zoning with grundy I think you're playing him wrong. With the exception of green lantern most zoners don't do that well against him. Mini gun just blows up his armor. Adam wins more due to dive kick than anything else. Most people that beat grundy do it by out pressuring him not by zoning him.

I think you misunderstand friend. I played Grundy to his full potential.

What I'm talking about for "Zoning" in my previous statement is not saying I was losing to Zoners, hell, Black Adam's dive kick is easy to deal with, just D2, and they eat a 1 bar 50% damage combo with (D2, 11, DB2 MB, ji2, B1~Pause, Trait grab for reset)

What I am talking about is for example:

Grundy vs Nightwing. Nightwing has staff out and is spamming the low staff spark special move that hits low full screen (Not sure the actual name)

Grundy has to dash forward, hold down, dash forward, hold down, nightwing jumps throws air darts (again, not sure name) got to hold back (Hits overhead) now, FINALLY grundy is close enough to get in.

Grundy Vs BA is Similar to Nightwing's.

Grundy vs Aquaman is similar to these.

Now this is not 100% Zoning like the way you are taking it, but, it is still by definition "Zoning".

I said or meant at least that it was nice to finally have a character who could punish spammed specials fullscreen, or at least contest.

With BA, he spams spark, I throw lightning bolt. I dont have to keep dashing and blocking.

Sure I can jump, your right, but Nightwing can easily punish Grundy as he jumps.

Sure I can WC or WCC, but, I don't want to take the damage just to move another 5 feet, I want to conserve my health obviously, especially when WC or WCC wouldn't get me close enough to nightwing.

I was playing Grundy right, I said I suffered through his bad MU's long enough to appreciate BA enough that I dont see a point to return to Grundy.

Brahma

Noob
What is the plan against Staff NW? He locks down Grundy pretty well. You pretty much have to make a read and armor something to get out of his frame traps, especially in the corner.

I think you misunderstand friend. I played Grundy to his full potential.

What I'm talking about for "Zoning" in my previous statement is not saying I was losing to Zoners, hell, Black Adam's dive kick is easy to deal with, just D2, and they eat a 1 bar 50% damage combo with (D2, 11, DB2 MB, ji2, B1~Pause, Trait grab for reset)

What I am talking about is for example:

Grundy vs Nightwing. Nightwing has staff out and is spamming the low staff spark special move that hits low full screen (Not sure the actual name)

Grundy has to dash forward, hold down, dash forward, hold down, nightwing jumps throws air darts (again, not sure name) got to hold back (Hits overhead) now, FINALLY grundy is close enough to get in.

Grundy Vs BA is Similar to Nightwing's.

Grundy vs Aquaman is similar to these.

Now this is not 100% Zoning like the way you are taking it, but, it is still by definition "Zoning".

I said or meant at least that it was nice to finally have a character who could punish spammed specials fullscreen, or at least contest.

With BA, he spams spark, I throw lightning bolt. I dont have to keep dashing and blocking.

Sure I can jump, your right, but Nightwing can easily punish Grundy as he jumps.

Sure I can WC or WCC, but, I don't want to take the damage just to move another 5 feet, I want to conserve my health obviously, especially when WC or WCC wouldn't get me close enough to nightwing.

I was playing Grundy right, I said I suffered through his bad MU's long enough to appreciate BA enough that I dont see a point to return to Grundy.
Yep like I said you're definately playing it wrong. In staff stance you dash and the ground pound actually hits where you were it has no tracking at all. If you see him jump in escrima stance you should always WCC because he's probably throwing wing dings and you get a free combo. In staff stance in a closer position standing 2 will usually hit him out of what he's doing. Just avoid using wc without the cancel because he has an absurd amount of unthrowable frames on all staff moves. mb trait works wonders up close as well. once you have health chain its a terrible match for nw.

aquaman is even easier if he does a trident you can block and swamp hands him back and he's forced to jump or block. He can't just keep checking with it. If you get into WC range you can throw it out against a trident. aquaman's attacks are relatively slow in his strings so you can armor him and grab him pretty easily. His jump in's are pretty terrible so he's free to anti air grab too.

How about fuck playing only top tier, learn bad match ups and actually play the character you like to play. Do you people only play to win? I play Superman sometimes but not because of bad match ups I like that character too. But Grundy is the best in the game for me so far.

ReZo

MKX
Yep like I said you're definately playing it wrong. In staff stance you dash and the ground pound actually hits where you were it has no tracking at all. If you see him jump in escrima stance you should always WCC because he's probably throwing wing dings and you get a free combo. In staff stance in a closer position standing 2 will usually hit him out of what he's doing. Just avoid using wc without the cancel because he has an absurd amount of unthrowable frames on all staff moves. mb trait works wonders up close as well. once you have health chain its a terrible match for nw.

aquaman is even easier if he does a trident you can block and swamp hands him back and he's forced to jump or block. He can't just keep checking with it. If you get into WC range you can throw it out against a trident. aquaman's attacks are relatively slow in his strings so you can armor him and grab him pretty easily. His jump in's are pretty terrible so he's free to anti air grab too.

Not sure if Trolling?

How else do I need to explain for you to get it?

I was not losing to nightwing. I was complaining about having to work 10 times harder to do the same thing I can do with BA with 1/10 the effort required.

With Grundy I still won those matches, I didn't quit him because I was losing to bad MU's, I was winning almost every bad MU with Grundy.

I quit him because I dont see the point Gimping myself with a grappler character, when I can do 10 times better with a different character that requires 100 less perfect reads.

I learned all of his bad MU's, just got tired of having to chase people around the map all day long, so now people chase me (BA), and Its alot better.

If i was winning all of those bad MU's, then obviously I knew what I was doing, otherwise I would/should have lost.

If you don't like chasing people around the map you are no Grundy main. Just play someone who you like to play, not because its 10 times easier.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
Zoning dominates in this game. But grundy has matchups that are very strong in his favor. You should only use grundy to close out a set on the final game on the match. People will just counter pick you with zoners if you begin with him. I see tyrant try it all the time and he always ends up going back to superman. Funnest character in the game to play by far. Plus its nice to have a character that beats the shit out of rushdown characters

ReZo

MKX
If you don't like chasing people around the map you are no Grundy main. Just play someone who you like to play, not because its 10 times easier.
Your right, I am no longer a Grundy main.

I don't know anyone that enjoys chasing people around the map, more power to you, come play my BA, and after we fight, I doubt you will enjoy chasing people around anymore

Your right, I am no longer a Grundy main.

I don't know anyone that enjoys chasing people around the map, more power to you, come play my BA, and after we fight, I doubt you will enjoy chasing people around anymore
See that's the problem, you think if someone lost a match means he didn't enjoy playing it. I'd love to play, especially if you are from Europe, cause I am from Russia, and it isn't fun with shitty connection. By the congratulations on joining the army of Black Adams they Really didn't have a representative at big tournaments without you!!!