What's new

(Discussion) The Unprecedented Stated of MK11

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
Yes, it literally does
Is knee competing in smash the beast in tekken? I'm talking tippy top I'm talking sonic ninja the best in our field bro. Ps sonic is a rare super monster the anomaly for this convo

And you totally ignored the most important part of my post. Out side of this I dont know how else to explain this.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
The point went right over your head my friend, I'll explain again for a game so deep with unfathomable depth how on earth do the best players in the world have time to play anything else. Are sonic and ninja FGC Gods sure. Does this happen in any other fighter short answer no.
Sonic got second at EVO in DBFZ while winning MK

What are you talking about?

Google "Kazunoko". The attempts to discredit this community are really getting ridiculous.

haketh

Noob
Is knee competing in smash the beast in tekken? I'm talking tippy top I'm talking sonic ninja the best in our field bro. Ps sonic is a rare super monster the anomaly for this convo

And you totally ignored the most important part of my post. Out side of this I dont know how else to explain this.
How does Sonic & Ninjakilla playing another game for fun translate to that? I ignored the rest because it was all nonsense but this was the one that stuck out the most.

I feel like there's a major flaw in the argument that "no new tech is coming out, the game is dead". You mentioned Injustice with the game developing a lot over the course of 3 years, which is true.

Well we're 5 months into the game right now. How do we know that there isn't gonna be major meta/tech developments over the rest of the game's life? Feel like we're calling it too early when we say stuff like that, especially seeing as there actually IS new developments with the Raptor OS which was discovered like a week ago.
There's some obvious truth to this, but Raptor's tech isn't new, and compare the "discovery" phase and natural progression of this game and its meta thus far to virtually any other fighting game (NRS or otherwise) at the same half-year mark and it's night and day imo.

Last edited:

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
Sonic got second at EVO in DBFZ while winning MK

What are you talking about?

Google "Kazunoko". The attempts to discredit this community are really getting ridiculous.
Firstly what are you talking about. Never once did I discredit anything or anyone, you view discourse like the Gestapo I'm done with you.

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
How does Sonic & Ninjakilla playing another game for fun translate to that? I ignored the rest because it was all nonsense but this was the one that stuck out the most.
I never said it did that's how I know you ain't read it. Please dont comment on something cherry picking.

@PLAYING TO WIN, tried dude people dont want to see reason. They just get their points across, praise a "strong" growing pro scene that shuns them. They can have it I'm done.
I just do not understand some of what I am reading. Evo numbers were good so the game is fine? At the end of the day all NRS really cares about is sales, meeting quarterly quotas (why spread out DLC) and they love the free marketing the FGC provides. I am asking for a better product. Just like, for example, someone who loves a certain car. They newer models suck so they complain and give feedback as to what they liked about the older versions and the manufacturer would usually oblige to a degree. I am glad to see most agree with me and the baseless shills are the minority in this thread.

Part of me seriously thinks the discussion that this post generated contributed to NRS doing a stream this week. Part of me doesn't lol.

xKMMx

Banned
You know, y’all could always just, like... stop playing. I know that sounds like an insane proposition. But for me, you know, personally and all, if I stop enjoying a game, I stop playing said game. I don’t go on rants or anything about all the things that I want to see changed so that I will start showing interest again. I just quit and move on. At the end of the day no one really cares about my complaints. I mean, seriously.

I certainly wouldn’t call other people who enjoy the game homers or shills because they happen to disagree with me. Maybe back when I was an immature teenager, idk. You know, Live and let live and all.
To be fair I think people should always voice opinions. This game is the least Mortal Kombat that a Mortal kombat game ever has been in a lot of ways. Art style, ambiance and lack of that insane over the top flavor MK is known for.
Yet at the same time after going back and playing MKX for a few hours last weekend I feel its the best "fighting game" to ever carry the MK name. Which I believe was by design. They wanted the game to be taken seriously by purists and hardcore fighting game enthusiast types.
At the risk of speaking for others and getting it wrong, I believe myself and others that find the game to be dry and dull were expecting or hoping for a marriage of the two. Mk's over the top playstyle and dark, gritty ambiance integrated into a game where fundamentals are a main focus of the META.

We wanted peanut butter and chocolate. Instead so far all we have is peanut butter. It tastes ok by itself....but damn would it be good with some chocolate!

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
I agree with the OP overall, however i don't think longer combos would be a good way of adding depth. Like others have said in every situation there is one or two optimal answers dependant on damage and positioning. I mean yes it'll net you a bit more depth to lab i guess, but only in the same way that Five Guys slapping on an extra patty makes their regular burgers better than the "little" versions.

What you really want for a deeper experience is more way to interact with your opponent, specifically when they can react. More ways to open people up, more mobility options, more active defensive options, etc. I wouldn't mind some more freedom to style but at the end of the day it's just hitting someone when they can't fight back.

Not advocating for NRS to turn the game into Marvel or MKX, just saying that asking for longer/more complex combos isn't really the best way to deepen a game.

Edit: Unless its Kitana. My Khan needs her fan combos NRS plz

Last edited:
As you are such a voice in the entire FGC I think you can really bring some attention to a subject that I think you can agree on. Should we allow full customization in tournament play? I would love to hear you get a few different advocates to delve into the discussion. I think this would solve a lot of issues I currently have with the games current feel. Thoughts?
Personally I don't think that's necessary. I wouldn't be opposed to it as a player, but I think it'd be pretty difficult from a game dev perspective. The game balance would be worse for sure, and some of the custom moves would probably be too strong in a dumb way, not a fun or interesting or strategic way. I don't feel that I'm lacking for options as is anyway.

But yeah, hope things are good with you too dude.

I respect your opinion and all that but, as someone who watches tournaments, is heavily involved in NRS twitter and watches for tech and is in Discords etc I see a competitive community that has rapidly dying interest in the game. I think the games shallow nature is going to cause it to eat itself. We can tout numbers now, but in a year? I think we'll see a huge dropoff if the game isn't a different game by next years Combo Breaker. Just my take. There's not enough meat in this game.
Games that don't have dropoffs are the big exception, so yeah there'll probably be a dropoff. But I don't think it'll be anything like the drop from year 1 to 2 with Injustice 2. Anyway nbd if it's not your favorite game, I'm not here to tell you what you should or shouldn't like.

You know, y’all could always just, like... stop playing. I know that sounds like an insane proposition. But for me, you know, personally and all, if I stop enjoying a game, I stop playing said game. I don’t go on rants or anything about all the things that I want to see changed so that I will start showing interest again. I just quit and move on. At the end of the day no one really cares about my complaints. I mean, seriously.

I certainly wouldn’t call other people who enjoy the game homers or shills because they happen to disagree with me. Maybe back when I was an immature teenager, idk. You know, Live and let live and all.
I mean, NRS marketted the game in a way that like...got me to pay for the Premium edition. So if I found after paying more than $100, that the game wasn't exactly what it was advertised to be, I should just be quiet and stop playing? FUCK OUTTA HERE!

EDIT: I'll be quiet on the condition that you willingly refund my $130 Canadian dollars.

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
Folks don't realize top players have always played different fighting games? Are you all new to the FGC? This isn't unheard of, or some kind of new anomaly that is a dog whistle that's indicative the game is dieing. You've got players like Sonic Fox, Kazunoko, Chris G and even Justin Wong (even though I think he's washed up? idk haven't been following him for a while) who are absolute killers in multiple fighting games.

Also, zero disrespect to some of the players in that podcast, but we haven't seen much in the way of tournament results for a long time from them. It's almost like REO disappeared once the scene moved on from MK9 Kabal.

EDIT: I guess my point is, the game has only been out for a few months and you guys seem to have this tunnel vision that we've seen everything there is to see in the game, and that's because pros are leaving. That's definitely not true. If you've seen everything there is to see in the game and think you have it mastered, then go start making top 8 on a regular basis and roll in the dough.

Some ppl are trying way too hard to make mk11 look bad lol. Sonic fox getting caught playing tekken. Mk11 dead: confirmed lmfao
that is def a stretch. dead is also a stretch. unprecedented state just 5 months into the game though? Def. there are many life long NRS fans who just cannot find anything engaging about the game play and the super simple meta.

craftycheese

I tried to throw a yo-yo away. It was impossible.
I think the main thing I've gathered here in this thread is the game feels limited and it seems to mostly stem from the variation system. To this I can agree. Initially, and even still, I thought it was a cool idea but it needs to allow for us to make our own custom variations for the idea to work. That being said, this needs to be last game to have it. It does give you the feeling that you don't have a complete character, even if that may or may not be the case.

Hopefully they'll give us the ability to let customs rock in tournaments/KL sometime soon because personally love this game, in the top 2 along with MKII, and I like the idea of people going into tournaments with "their" character.

craftycheese

In less than a week, this thread has surpassed most official character discussion threads in terms of replies :(
I want to believe this is because people are using different platforms to discuss characters and use forums more to air grievances nowadays, but I dunno how true that is. Not trying to call anyone out, could be this community though. For example, no one really talks much in the character discord I'm in (Jax and Kano) but people are still talking in the Gief discord I'm in. But, going back to what I first said, maybe they're sharing tech somewhere else.

I want to believe this is because people are using different platforms to discuss characters and use forums more to air grievances nowadays, but I dunno how true that is. Not trying to call anyone out, could be this community though. For example, no one really talks much in the character discord I'm in (Jax and Kano) but people are still talking in the Gief discord I'm in. But, going back to what I first said, maybe they're sharing tech somewhere else.
This is another HUGE issue plaguing this generation of gamers. People cite toxicity as to why to don't come back here but I would argue that twitter and discord have their share. During mk9, i1 and mkx this site was unrivaled and far and away the best place to level up. Now, you have to search high and low on twitter or discord for archived tech/combos/strats. I really wish people would use this site for what it was indented and utilized the character forums. Maybe TYM missed an opportunity to create and APP for the site? Maybe it just wasn't financially feasible. Who knows.

Last edited:
It does give you the feeling that you don't have a complete character, even if that may or may not be the case.
I don't agree with this at all.

Previous games most characters only had 3-4 special moves.
Raiden - Superman, lightning bolt, teleport, shocker.
Kitana - fan toss, arse, fan lift.
Sub - ice ball, slide, clone, ground ice or ice shower
Scorpion - spear, teleport, air throw

For those 4 characters at least, they have one variation that has those moves, or something very close. So in terms of not being a "complete character", you're saying they've always been that way?

So now that we've got the option to add/change some moves, or a variation that could potentially play like a completely different character, apparently they aren't a complete character?! WTF? What sort of logic does that stem from?

The MK11 gameplay may change things, eg: kitana's fan throw juggles, but that's another topic.

I think this is people feeling that they're missing out on something that's in the game and that they've lost out by not being able to use it... even though it's playable in casual matches.

If there were no variations half of those extra moves would never see the light of day because most characters wouldn't have more than 5 equipped anyway.

If there were no variations in MK11 and most characters had one or the other of the current variations, would people still be complaining as much? Possibly, but i don't think so, simply because they don't feel like there's something in the game that could have made it better. EG: Kitana up fan, scorpions misery blade etc.

Customs definitely change things up, but not being a complete character... no.

craftycheese

I think this is people feeling that they're missing out on something that's in the game and that they've lost out by not being able to use it... even though it's playable in casual matches.
This was what I was trying to say, and obviously didn't do a good job of it. The variations are making people feel like they're not getting a complete character which, like you've pointed out, isn't really the case.

I know I felt this way more in X than this game because I can use a fully custom kit in casual games but I mostly play ranked. Granted, Ive been playing Jax recently and wouldn't change anything in his grappling variation, but i would love to use Kano with lumbar and snakebite or Jade with her extra strings and new sweep. I think opening this up for those modes and tournaments would probably help people feel like they're getting a complete character because they can make them exactly how they want them.