What's new

Discussion about the inconsistencies of umk3

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Bro literally to keep it within the game and then brings up old YouTube videos and trying to stir the pot. When I grew up we said the homophobic word that you claim doesn't mean I'm homophobic that's just how we talked.
Yeah, that video is of you raging playing UMK3. And talking shit, something you just condemned someone else of doing. And my point is, trash talk is just apart of competitive gaming. It’s hypocritical to say you don’t like someone because they talk trash, when there’s literally video evidence of you doing the same.

And idrgaf about what words people use. But that doesn’t mean that slurs aren’t slurs, lol

Wait, did I call you a scrub? No. Stop reading into things that aren't there.
Defending glitch jabs with my life? Dude, stop. It's a part of the game. If you can't or won't do them, that's on you.

If you beat me using a top tier character, that's pretty scrubby
If you beat me using online advantages/exploits, that's pretty scrubby
If you complain when you get beat using the above tactics, that's pretty scrubby.

I could do this all day.

Pretty sure I have a winning record vs you overall, but never once have I rubbed it in your face. Yeah, you got me pretty good last time, and one time you beat me 10-9 and that last thing you said was "pwned. Hold that L" like it was some crazy feat. But you've also said that people that use human smoke are pussies, meanwhile Kabal is your go to character when Unmasked Sub isn't cutting it.
You literally said it was scrubbish that I "constantly complain" that's pretty clear to me. Beating you was an achievement because you majority of the time beat me. But idk why you stick your nose and comment about my complaints if you feel that way. As always you want to be confrontational after all of the respect that I've shown to you personal life included. This post is getting WAY off topic.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I actually was going to say the same thing, that word to people our age and certainly when this video was made is not homophobic.
Uhh, that video was made in 2012, not the 70’s, 80’s, 90’s or even 2000’s. If y’all wanna say/use slurs that’s your prerogative, but at least have the balls to own it. ¯\(ツ)

EDIT: I meant if you wanna use them outside of this site, most of them are against the site rules. Just wanted to clarify that before things got weird, lmao

MRIGOTBASS

Uhh, that video was made in 2012, not the 70’s, 80’s, 90’s or even 2000’s. If y’all wanna say/use slurs that’s your prerogative, but at least have the balls to own it. ¯\(ツ)

EDIT: I meant if you wanna use them outside of this site, most of them are against the site rules. Just wanted to clarify that before things got weird, lmao
I understand the intent man its all good.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
You literally said it was scrubbish that I "constantly complain" that's pretty clear to me. Beating you was an achievement because you majority of the time beat me. But idk why you stick your nose and comment about my complaints if you feel that way. As always you want to be confrontational after all of the respect that I've shown to you personal life included. This post is getting WAY off topic.
He wasn’t even talking to you or about you. He was responding to me. And in response to me saying “But there’s honestly no point in complaining about it. If you want to keep playing and want to improve, the only way to do that is to just accept the game for what it is, and to navigate through that framework”, he said “Doesn't matter how good or bad you are at the game, constantly complaining about the mechanics gives off an air of scrubbiness - this game is TWENTY NINE years old. Some stuff just don't work the way we'd like it to. Is what it is

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
And btw, I said to stop bringing up personal stuff that was off topic. Most of what has been said since then has been related to the discussions that have taken place ITT (in this thread). As long as it’s related to UMK3 and isn’t irrelevant personal stuff, it’s fine (to an extent).

Anyway, all this UMK3 talk has gotten me nostalgic about the golden era of UMK3.
God I wish they’d fkn rerelease this shit on current gen with GGPO netcode. I know I’ve been advocating for a rerelease for over a decade and I realize it’s never going to happen, but I still wish it would. Despite all its flaws and broken aspects, it’s nevertheless still such a genuinely fun and legitimately competitive game.

I also wish everyone was able to experience the game in the 2006 UMK3 XBLA era. This era will never be able to be recreated. Because it was back when there honestly wasn’t a TON of games to even play online, at least not a lot of good ones. So 2006 UMK3 had so many players, it was active 24/7. A concept that sounds so weird to me today. Imagine being able to hop online and play UMK3 with friends or many different random people at any time of day, and the connection not be too awful. Then all the rivalries and drama, most in which were related to umk(.)com. Everyone being in awe of just how good players like Shock and Crazy Dominican were, desperately wanting to play them knowing full well we’d get demolished. MKF30 getting 50-0’d by CD, the “new blood vs old blood” drama, the constant discussions about who were the best players, and that was just the tip of the iceberg. Then finally getting decent enough at the game to where randoms knew who you were. It was so cool, but bizarre, going into random lobbies and either hearing people freak out and say “holy shit, is that the real Juggernaut!??”, or “oh I’ve heard of this dude, I bet he’s not even that good”. Or going into lobbies where they’ve never heard of me and then them talking so much crap until it was my turn, then running the KoTH lobbies until they all went quiet and eventually kicked me, lol. I even did some shit back then that I wasn’t proud of, but at the same time I wasn’t even an adult yet. I was 16 and it was literally the first fighting game that I had ever played competitively. I didn’t know how to act, hell even my grammar and the way I typed was childish, lmao.

Anyway… man, so many amazing memories with this game and that era. It’s too bad I didn’t get REALLY good until most players started quitting. I was always pretty good, but wasn’t a top player or anything back then. I couldn’t beat the best players at the time like MistaKM, ShaneyMcGrady, DC Hustle, Crazy Dominican, Shock, Annihilator83, PajaroMayor (I think was his name), and more I’m forgetting. The only players I got to play after I got really good of these players was CD, Shock and DC Hustle, and luckily were able to play all 3 offline (played DC Hustle and Shock in the famous NEC UMK3 tournament).

Yeah… this thread made me watch old match footage and just got hit in the face with nostalgia, lol. Which is how I saw that ouijawarrior video. The golden era of UMK3, man, what a time to be alive that was. There was just soo much going on around UMK3 back then. And this was before NRS was even a thing, it was still Midway. Hell, MKvsDC came out during this era, back in 2008. That game led some of the UMK3 players to the forum “Mortal Kombat United”, aka “MKU”. Which is where I met STORMS, Krayzie, and essentially most of the people that ended up creating this forum. What a wild journey. And it still continued to be played after then, but UMK3 on XBLA started slowing down around 2009 or 2010 or so. And didn’t die off until around maybe 2013/2014? But that was from everyone playing pretty much every single day. Like, imagine having like 500 players with over 10k hours they put into the same game?

Agh, I could talk about this for awhile, so just gonna stop there.

MRIGOTBASS

And btw, I said to stop bringing up personal stuff that was off topic. Most of what has been said since then has been related to the discussions that have taken place ITT (in this thread). As long as it’s related to UMK3 and isn’t irrelevant personal stuff, it’s fine (to an extent).

Anyway, all this UMK3 talk has gotten me nostalgic about the golden era of UMK3.
God I wish they’d fkn rerelease this shit on current gen with GGPO netcode. I know I’ve been advocating for a rerelease for over a decade and I realize it’s never going to happen, but I still wish it would. Despite all its flaws and broken aspects, it’s nevertheless still such a genuinely fun and legitimately competitive game.

I also wish everyone was able to experience the game in the 2006 UMK3 XBLA era. This era will never be able to be recreated. Because it was back when there honestly wasn’t a TON of games to even play online, at least not a lot of good ones. So 2006 UMK3 had so many players, it was active 24/7. A concept that sounds so weird to me today. Imagine being able to hop online and play UMK3 with friends or many different random people at any time of day, and the connection not be too awful. Then all the rivalries and drama, most in which were related to umk(.)com. Everyone being in awe of just how good players like Shock and Crazy Dominican were, desperately wanting to play them knowing full well we’d get demolished. MKF30 getting 50-0’d by CD, the “new blood vs old blood” drama, the constant discussions about who were the best players, and that was just the tip of the iceberg. Then finally getting decent enough at the game to where randoms knew who you were. It was so cool, but bizarre, going into random lobbies and either hearing people freak out and say “holy shit, is that the real Juggernaut!??”, or “oh I’ve heard of this dude, I bet he’s not even that good”. Or going into lobbies where they’ve never heard of me and then them talking so much crap until it was my turn, then running the KoTH lobbies until they all went quiet and eventually kicked me, lol. I even did some shit back then that I wasn’t proud of, but at the same time I wasn’t even an adult yet. I was 16 and it was literally the first fighting game that I had ever played competitively. I didn’t know how to act, hell even my grammar and the way I typed was childish, lmao.

Anyway… man, so many amazing memories with this game and that era. It’s too bad I didn’t get REALLY good until most players started quitting. I was always pretty good, but wasn’t a top player or anything back then. I couldn’t beat the best players at the time like MistaKM, ShaneyMcGrady, DC Hustle, Crazy Dominican, Shock, Annihilator83, PajaroMayor (I think was his name), and more I’m forgetting. The only players I got to play after I got really good of these players was CD, Shock and DC Hustle, and luckily were able to play all 3 offline (played DC Hustle and Shock in the famous NEC UMK3 tournament).

Yeah… this thread made me watch old match footage and just got hit in the face with nostalgia, lol. Which is how I saw that ouijawarrior video. The golden era of UMK3, man, what a time to be alive that was. There was just soo much going on around UMK3 back then. And this was before NRS was even a thing, it was still Midway. Hell, MKvsDC came out during this era, back in 2008. That game led some of the UMK3 players to the forum “Mortal Kombat United”, aka “MKU”. Which is where I met STORMS, Krayzie, and essentially most of the people that ended up creating this forum. What a wild journey. And it still continued to be played after then, but UMK3 on XBLA started slowing down around 2009 or 2010 or so. And didn’t die off until around maybe 2013/2014? But that was from everyone playing pretty much every single day. Like, imagine having like 500 players with over 10k hours they put into the same game?

Agh, I could talk about this for awhile, so just gonna stop there.
Juggs the era was amazing and we didn't even appreciate it at the time. We cant bring it back and it will never be the same but we can reminisce about it as old men now.

You posted your complaints on a message board on the internet. I didn't stick my nose in anything, I simply replied to you. If my stance is counter to yours, it's not being disrespectful, it's merely a difference in opinion, which is totally fine for two people to respectfully have.

And I'm not being confrontational, I'm simply stating that the "inconsistencies" in the game aren't so much glitches as they are a product of the game at a code level. Posting your opinions and then getting defensive when people counter them isn't the best look, but I'll leave yours alone from now on.

I love the game for everything that it is and isn't. It's a hot beautiful exploitable mess.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
@Juggs why don't you play on Fightcade ? Neck said u are too old an shit LOL? No ??

View attachment 21898
I am too old. I just got tired of playing UMK3 online tbh. I might get the itch again, but just don’t have the urge to play right now. That said, all this talk about the golden era has got me considering it lol

Well, let's talk REAL inconsistencies.

After you uppercut to another stage, the screen shakes more whenever anything happens to cause the screen to shake, for the remainder of the round.

If you're not in the center of the stage when you uppercut to another stage, you still go near the center of the stage, but the parallax of the floor is really crazy looking. (I fixed in UMK3+)

After a stage transition, certain moves (at least reptile's dash) don't cover as much ground. @Biggs discovered that I believe.

Biggs

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
Doesn't have as much to do with the timing input as it does the pushback that occurs on block, as well as Kabal's lack of moving forward relative to combo progression. Happens a lot more on characters with smaller hitboxes, and male ninjas it seems like.
Besides character hitboxes, the string whiffing on block phenomenon is caused by combination of 3 things:
  • Crouch Block
  • Delaying the input of the string
  • FA/GC
If you block attacks crouching, they can have more pushback. Most people notice this on jabs (and the lack of pushback on Sheeva crouching), but it also occurs with strings too. When you input a string without any gaps/delay between hits, the game will count this as a single instance of pushback. If you delay the hits in your string, each delayed hit will cause an instance of pushback. Each pushback instance will be larger if the opponent is crouching as stated before. Lastly, if your opponent has GC, they will recover 1F faster on hit/block than if they had FA. This means that characters like Jax and CSub will always have their combo whiff on block unless they have GC themselves. Because the opponent is recovering 1F faster you are implicitly delaying your string causing multiple pushback instances. Confusing to grasp but its not about whether Jax has GC, it is important that the opponent does not have GC.

LEGEND

YES!

I also wish everyone was able to experience the game in the 2006 UMK3 XBLA era. This era will never be able to be recreated. Because it was back when there honestly wasn’t a TON of games to even play online, at least not a lot of good ones. So 2006 UMK3 had so many players, it was active 24/7. A concept that sounds so weird to me today. Imagine being able to hop online and play UMK3 with friends or many different random people at any time of day, and the connection not be too awful.
I was a teenager and casual in this era. My experience previous to this was mashing at arcades and playing MKT at home with friends/family. Even though I got beat up by anyone that knew what they were doing, it was still a blast to play, and I can attest to the fact that matchmaking was pretty much always available. Definitely took that for granted.

Mid 2000s XBL is unmatched.

Biggs

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
I cannot for the life of me do well against biggs and Detroitballn. It's just the way they play that irks me. Like why do they have to play better than me and I've been playing longer? They both use keyboards which is a whole other topic. Lastly I would say that to be honest I really don't see myself playing this game as much or if at all in the coming future. It's a classic and has been part of my life way too long. I want to focus my energy on my personal life.
I don't play or care about UMK3, but since I was directly mentioned I'll bite.

You hate how @DetroitBalln plays because he relearned the game from me. Detroit's Fightcade profile has over 1000 hours of UMK3 across all versions and over 13k ranked matches. Those are only the stats you can see. It doesn't consider the countless hours I spent reviewing replays with him or his time on MAME and 360. No one in NA has grinded as hard as him. Don't even attempt to belittle his efforts.

I've never played with a keyboard. I played the real version of the game on an arcade stick as intended by the developer.

I began playing UMK3 casually on PSN back in 2015, but it wasn't until late 2017 / early 2018 that I took UMK3 seriously as my main fighting game.

While you were crying about glitch jabs, we accepted the game for all its flaws without rules. We gained valuable experience and ultimately became better players, while you have not leveled up for a decade.

You may have been playing for way longer but you squandered the time.

It’s funny. All this UMK3 talk had me nostalgic and looking up old match videos. I was watching my set with OUIJAWARRIOR and came across this video of him bodying you and you talking massive shit, rage quitting, even using the homophobic F slur. But, this was back in like 2012, so hopefully you’ve changed since then. But it seems you at least not only liked trash talk, you did it yourself! Anyway, Here it is for those interested

Sorry for going off-topic again, but this was just too funny of a coincidence to pass up!
Your "boy" did the same shit brother so go cry wolf. He dropped two homophobic slurs but you don't be on his nuts about it haha

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Your "boy" did the same shit brother so go cry wolf. He dropped two homophobic slurs but you don't be on his nuts about it haha

I don’t think you know what “crying wolf” means. And yeah, I’ve discussed that with Bass before. He disagrees with me about it. Did you think I hadn’t seen this video before? But like I said, I don’t care about the language people use, I just thought it was funny and a bit hypocritical that you were saying that you didn’t like Detroit because he talked too much shit, was cocky, said you sucked at FG’s, etc. When you’ve been caught on camera doing the same thing if not worse.