What's new

General/Other - Covert Ops Discuss covert ops

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Why are they saying this variation sucks? It doesn't its still the same. Its still good. Some people just discovered that demo es better after KIT Scar.
After 2nd or 3rd patch (the patch that allow 3 stun grenade combos) all Sonya players knew and said Demo is the best, she just needed a player and fortunately Scar appeared as a hero a few months later
CO is the worst variation because: decent footsie but much worse than Demo, punishable 50/50 with low reward, can't deal with jump back and zoners (even the not so good zoners), bad wakeups, too many universal nerfs. B142 can also gives CO many troubles, even when that string is universal

Skedar70

Noob
After 2nd or 3rd patch (the patch that allow 3 stun grenade combos) all Sonya players knew and said Demo is the best, she just needed a player and fortunately Scar appeared as a hero a few months later
CO is the worst variation because: decent footsie but much worse than Demo, punishable 50/50 with low reward, can't deal with jump back and zoners (even the not so good zoners), bad wakeups, too many universal nerfs. B142 can also gives CO many troubles, even when that string is universal
CO is still better than special forces and its still good. You don't have to play her unsafe and you don't need to reload grenades or summon drone to get her offense started. People stated several players using her and they are doing fine.

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
CO is still better than special forces and its still good. You don't have to play her unsafe and you don't need to reload grenades or summon drone to get her offense started. People stated several players using her and they are doing fine.
CO is better than SF is debatable. SF deals with zoners way easier than CO and she has a plus on block 50/50 in SF. The good thing about CO is her launcher is always available. If we pretend Demo doesn't exist, CO can be used again rush down characters with bad projectiles, SF should be used again anyone with decent or good zoning game.

Dedlock

Noob
I've been exclusively playing with covert ops Sonya for a year, I don't watch any of her play on YouTube. As a result I play her differently and to my tastes, which more often than not gets me into trouble cause of my commitment to taking risks and playing erraticlly.

I've watched the first video of coosco and that Quan Chi match was depressing as hell and worse of all after the progress he made he lost to a stand back and zone strategy, I then watched the first spardling match and saw him lose eventually to Kotal Khan.

Let me point out some observations I noted in the game play,

MS1 more often than not put them in disadvantageous positions with it whiffing at point blank range.

Ms2 also did not give coosco any advantage instead left him open for taking in more pressure.

None of them even attempted to parry in their matches, which is supposed to be CO unique Feature.

Over reliance on B1,4 to create any opening makes gameplay predictable and tedious.

Dive kicks were largely absent!

Air throw was absent in fact Sonya's air game is basically jip1, that's it.

These are areas that could use some attention in general for Covert Ops.

Numbskull727

happiness is a warm gun
I think this variation is good against characters like Raiden. You can leg grab or parry to switch corner advantage and that is where her 50/50's really shine. She can actually combo with the low and overhead military stance options there for more damage and the parry is great for reading wake ups. Covert Ops Sonya is all about cornering people and keeping them there in my opinion.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I think covert ops is all about conditioning. If every time the opp blocks b14/b332 and you do MS1 this will eventually make them neutraly crouch or jump or reversal once they've blocked these strings. This I think allows you to cancel the MS and punish. It's something where if you're playing someone a couple games on ranked it's not gonna work. But if you lay a long set with someone I think this is where the mind games start to come in.

I think the CO parry is severely underrated. Nobody ever respects it like they do with Liu Kang or Kano. I also think that the ability to keep up offense instead of needing to reload or summon a drone makes a big difference. It's not the strongest variation but it can be very unpredictable and is a great pocket character.

Dedlock

Noob
I think the CO parry is severely underrated. Nobody ever respects it like they do with Liu Kang or Kano. I also think that the ability to keep up offense instead of needing to reload or summon a drone makes a big difference. It's not the strongest variation but it can be very unpredictable and is a great pocket character.
I was playing against a Kenshi (possessed) and It was round three and he had me cornered in the jungle, I literally was at deaths door with 10% of my life left, I hail Mary passed an ex parry 1,combo'd and finished him off with a leg grab Brutality.

Felt so good I went and saved the replay.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Her EX parry is the best in the game, best reward for pretty much the same risk all the other parries. Nobody else gets 45% off of a parry.

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
Her EX parry is the best in the game, best reward for pretty much the same risk all the other parries. Nobody else gets 45% off of a parry.
Her parry loses to grabs which the other parries don't, i'm not arguing that it's bad or w/e but in terms of what it parries it's one of the worst

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
Covert Ops parry also isn't active on frame 1, even if you do the EX version.

I personally think Flame Fist has the best overall parry in the game. Active on frame 1, leads into hard knockdown, can MB it after it connects for ok damage, decently fast recovery. Pretty good overall.

BowsersDad

Low tier
I've been exclusively playing with covert ops Sonya for a year, I don't watch any of her play on YouTube. As a result I play her differently and to my tastes, which more often than not gets me into trouble cause of my commitment to taking risks and playing erraticlly.

I've watched the first video of coosco and that Quan Chi match was depressing as hell and worse of all after the progress he made he lost to a stand back and zone strategy, I then watched the first spardling match and saw him lose eventually to Kotal Khan.

Let me point out some observations I noted in the game play,

MS1 more often than not put them in disadvantageous positions with it whiffing at point blank range.

Ms2 also did not give coosco any advantage instead left him open for taking in more pressure.

None of them even attempted to parry in their matches, which is supposed to be CO unique Feature.

Over reliance on B1,4 to create any opening makes gameplay predictable and tedious.

Dive kicks were largely absent!

Air throw was absent in fact Sonya's air game is basically jip1, that's it.

These are areas that could use some attention in general for Covert Ops.
I agree with pretty much everything you said above. The parry can be used to interrupt pressure and you can use it to predict your opponent for a quick punish, even combo if Ex. and the dive kick/dk whiff can be used to get in against zoning. You can even divekick into a b331xxMs , assuming you land the dk. But also the air throw after jip1 can be cash money when trying punish a constantly jumping opponent. Lol gimme that 15% and a reset into neutral. She has so many defensive options (EX leg grab wake up, arc kick, parry, air grab and jump back into divekick to bait a pressuring opp into either a HKD if they jump at you or a combo if they try a normal or projectile)

BowsersDad

Low tier

I personally think Flame Fist has the best overall parry in the game. Active on frame 1, leads into hard knockdown, can MB it after it connects for ok damage, decently fast recovery. Pretty good overall.
Kano's parry is pretty good. IIRC it gets good damage and can guess mid/high or low so you can catch some1 poking or pressing buttons lol

thlityoursloat

kick kick
It's -ve on hit and the EX version is only 21%. It's very fast and is active rather quick like ATP said, but I'll take a parry that can potentially kill with just 2 reads over a fast parry that does teeny tiny bits of damage here and there, while still being just as free on whiff as Sonya's.

NeroOps

Death Before Dishonor

Kano's parry is pretty good. IIRC it gets good damage and can guess mid/high or low so you can catch some1 poking or pressing buttons lol
If im not mistaken Kitana and Subzero has the best parry, only because it parries high, mid, and low attacks.
You can down 3 Liu Kang and Sonya parry with out being parried and Kano parries have different commands, which makes it harder to react what the opponent is going to do.

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
Her parry loses to grabs which the other parries don't, i'm not arguing that it's bad or w/e but in terms of what it parries it's one of the worst
I like her parry a lot. Just the fact that you can get +40% off it and you can choose the direction to throw the opponent, makes it one of the best in my book. It used to parry throws, but that got nerfed.

I LOVE MS1. I say, "Gimme that" every time I "block confirm".
This is not profound in any way, I just want to add one tiny little thing to this thread. Me and my newbness recently started doing 1,MS1 (or a similar single-hit attack) or sometimes 1,MS3. It seems to work really well because they block the first attack then 50/50 for a grab or low attack. It is also fast to start up and insanely easy to execute.

Dedlock

Noob
This is not profound in any way, I just want to add one tiny little thing to this thread. Me and my newbness recently started doing 1,MS1 (or a similar single-hit attack) or sometimes 1,MS3. It seems to work really well because they block the first attack then 50/50 for a grab or low attack. It is also fast to start up and insanely easy to execute.
I know that 1,1 MS4 is guaranteed, but I've never experimented with single hit attacks with ms1, hmmm thanks for this, finally MS1 can be made useful if it guarantee connects, especially after a blocked 1.

So I have like a week Sonya, only covert ops variation. I'm pulling win streaks crazy high like I use to with my old main Tanya, and I'm really liking covert ops Sonya. To the people who said that covert ops is bad to switch to demolition, completely false you can defiantly, easily win with covert ops. I'm really excited because after Tanya I didn't think anyone would fit my style but Sonya is defiantly there. Being such an offensive game I remember being able to take massive damage and being able to come back in a second with Tanya and i didn't know if I'd be able to really find that in a different character. But I got that with the covert ops variation. Only thing i find is that her parry isn't really that useful like others who can wake up parry etc, should defiantly be able to parry jump ins. But other than that I just wanted to add my two cents in saying I'm really really enjoying covert ops. :) Great character!