What's new

Did I do the right thing?

I understand why the homeless guy would spend the money on the lottery though, as good as it sounds 60 bucks isnt getting you anywhere, winning money with the lottery could get you back into society, just saying.

So you probably gave $60 more dollars to a compulsive gambler.

What if the $60 dollars was for a video game for her insane boyfriend; he kills her in a fit of rage because she didn't pick up the new Devil May Cry.
He goes to prison, becomes a radical Muslim, breaks out (he was a prison break fan), escapes to Yemen, becomes the new leader of Al Qaeda, and Revolver has just set up the premise for Zero Dark Thirty 2: LBSH.
thats racist

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
Right and wrong completely depends on who's perspective you look at this situation from.

If I was the girl, and I figured out that you not only did not return the money, but did not keep it for yourself like a true American, I would find you and kick you in the nuts with my high heels.

If I was the guy, I'd probably still be thinking of your noble act, and believe there is hope for this world as I'm getting wasted and sniffing cocaine.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
How do you know she was a skank simply by looking at her?
I'm gay. I know a skank when I see one.

Too many people judging here. Assuming he is some sort of junkie fueled gambling bum and assuming she's some dumb, rich bitch addicted to X Factor.
Yeah. Spending most of my year in New York City, I'm very used to encountering those type of people. I didn't get the impression from him that he was a junkie or anything. Also, he only bought 1 ticket even after the $60.

I appreciate all the comments, positive and negative, though.

rawool

Noob
I think you had the right intentions of reporting it, but telling the man about the money probably wasn't a "right" thing to do. It really wasn't your money after all. If you weren't going to report it, I would of just left it at that and hope that the owner returns in time before anyone else.

Either way, in the end, the fault was ultimately on her and an old man you felt was worthy is $60 richer; hope he spent the money well.

I'd say you had good intentions revolver. You were going to let someone know and that man was the first person you saw. You didn't make him take the money or tell him to take the money. So if anything he was in the wrong.

Besides, if you're dumb enough to let 20 dollar bills fall all over the place then you deserve to lose your money.

gdf

Noob
If someone didn't already say, the guy had the choice of taking it or not after pointing it out to him.

You chose not to take it, so you are in the clear.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
If someone didn't already say, the guy had the choice of taking it or not after pointing it out to him.

You chose not to take it, so you are in the clear.
Yeah, but it's not much different than taking it and handing it to him. I told him about it with the assumption that he'll probably want it.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Would be extremely crazy if he used that $60 to get Injustice, started playing it competitively, and won EVO. Seems totally probable.

Justice

Noob
I've been thinking a lot about this and what you could have/should have done. I really do think that while your heart was in the right place vis a vis the old man, you helped him out with someone else's money. The best thing you could have done was to walk away, confident in the knowledge that you had done all you could to return the money to it's rightful owner. If they still had lost the money, then it's on them and their accident.

Basically, you did a very good thing by doing a small bad thing. I wouldn't feel too bad for too long dood. Just remember for next time ;)

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
WVU sticker huh...If it said Harvard I would have waited all night for the owner to show up!

You should feel like shit for not speaking up to her when she looked confused about the money yet you knew...you knew exactly what happened yet you let her worry instead of putting her mind at rest. PATHETIC.

I heard C88's are GREAT role models, you should ask them for guidance...

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
I don't think I would have told anybody about the money if I had not seen the customer service people. If I really could not wait for someone to show up from customer service I probably would have just left without telling anyone and hope the person's money didn't get stolen. Maybe you should have asked the guy if that was his car out there, and not mentioned the money unless he confirmed it was his car.

I don't think what you did was wrong, but telling some guy and showing him was probably not the smartest choice.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
When I worked at this car wash, I cleaned out this rich black dudes car. He looked like an athelete but I didn't recognize him. Anyway, he had like $1k in $100 bills in his car just sitting there. I was relatively new so I didn't want to lose my job so I just left all that money in there. I told my boss and got a raise, lol. It was only a $0.05 raise though, so totally not worth it. Especially since I quit like 3 weeks later.

Regrets man... regrets.

BlackBryan

B*tch Distributor
I woulda told the skank i saw a homeless dude run off with her cash and then tapped that. But then again, i don't love the cock :p