What's new

Did I do the right thing?

jamessmk

I am your god
You did fine. It was morally responsible of you to notify customer service. The fact that you past the buck on to someone else also passes that responsibility. I think you wanted the man to have same morals as you and only after seeing him pocket it did you have a "doh" moment. But in the end yeah you did the right thing

most of us would have kept the money, so giving it to that old guy who was down to his last 5 bucks was already better than what I would have done.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
You should have gotten change at the store and given a dollar to everyone you saw till the money was gone. That way someone got money they probably needed.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
Eh not what I would have done but whatever. Either I would have helped the owner get her cash back or kept my mouth shut and 'let the universe take care of it'. I mean, what if there was another $200 in her carseat that the homeless crackhead noticed in her car? What if he smashed her windows trying to get to it? What if that girl just got that money so she could feed her kids/parents/pets, etc.?

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
hmmmm sounds like a wash to me. You helped one person and screwed another person over luls. I am sure the dude who got the money has already blown it... and I am sure the person with the car won't miss it that bad if they are careless enough to lose it.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
This is a tough one. What if the college girl was behind on rent and that little bit of money made the difference of her being homeless? The owner of the cash should have got it back. That scruffy guy could have easily played you lol. I worked in a grocery store for years and seen all kinds of people that look like bums and payed with foodstamps walk out and get into a brand new Escalade.

Either way it's better than you pocketing the money yourself.

Flagg

Noob
Too many people judging here. Assuming he is some sort of junkie fueled gambling bum and assuming she's some dumb, rich bitch addicted to X Factor.

You went into the store with good intentions, and you did a good thing by giving money, you easily could have kept, to someone you believed was in need.

If it was on the ground too bad for her.
If it was sticking out of her door, then technically that's stealing, but again, too bad for her.

If you woulda kept the money, it's fine too, but selfish in a way. The fact you gave it to the guy was nice, regardless on what the man uses the cash for.

IMO,

need it or not.

If she wanted him to have 60 bucks that's her choice. Money is gained through some sort of productive action.

If I was in your shoes this is what I would've done.

Made sure that money go to that girl, give that man that was in trouble and seemed nice. a bit of money. Yes, it's her fault for losing the money.

but at the same token, how great do you feel when someone returns something you lost because of your mistake? you can't say you've NEVER made a mistake whether it's something as small as a lost pen.

Her mistake just happened to be on a few bills.

Just because you think someone's well off doesn't always mean they are either. I have a nice car, and ect ect. But there are times where 60 bucks could mean the difference between a late payment, or holding out til another paycheck. t's never good to assume things.

this is just my opinion of the situation. sure he wouldn't have got 60 bucks. but 5 dollars from me, i'm sure he'll be just as happy.

I have a strong belief that if someone worked for something, it should belong to them, and for them to decide how to use it. Even if you think they're greedy/selfish. They still did a service somewhere for someone, to earn it.

They deserve to decide where it goes.

Vothsair

Noob
You stole from a girl and you somehow think you're in the right? You want to give that guy money? Take out of your pocket. Lol Christians.

I just put myself in her situation and got in a bad mood. That's why I'm being bitchy. :p

The right thing is wondering if you did the right thing.

Well, I guess that's not really a choice on your part, but yeah you know what i mean.

Vothsair

Noob
The right thing is wondering if you did the right thing.

Well, I guess that's not really a choice on your part, but yeah you know what i mean.
That is the right thing now. But he did wrong and I think he knows it. He can try to give the money to the girl or just forget about it and learn from this.

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
So, I've been thinking about this all day. My Mom's on my side, my Dad's kinda not saying much about it which probably means he's against it but doesn't want to say it haha.

So last night I was driving to the grocery store. It was about 8pm so not too many people were there. When I pulled in a parking space I noticed something sticking out of the driver's side door of the car parked across from me. When I got out, I saw it was a $20 bill, and two more 20's were sitting on the ground next to it. Being the good little christian boy that I am, I went up to the car and memorized its license plate so I could report it to the store before it gets stolen.

When I got in I went up to the customer service counter. No one was behind the counter but there was another man there waiting to get a lottery ticket. He was about 55-60, a little scruffy, and had some pretty old-looking clothes. He made some small talk with me and seemed like a pretty nice guy. Getting tired of waiting, I said to him "you know, there's $60 laying on the ground outside". I led him out and showed him where it was and he took it. He was extremely thankful, telling me he was down to his last $5 and it was like a gift from God.

When I was done shopping I went back to my car, and when I got in I saw the car's owner walk up and get in the car with the money. It was some skanky looking college girl (the car had a WVU sticker on it). She was searching around the car and her purse so she obviously knew something was missing. I thought, that guy probably needs the money more than her, but it still feels like stealing. It was kinda her fault for dropping her money like that (I really don't know how that happens), but am I just justifying something bad to myself?
I would of done the same thing more then likely. Plus I hate to say this you did the next best thing with the infomation you had. Not only that in my eyes that older man needed it more. Right or wrong I would of did the same thing :)

That is the right thing now. But he did wrong and I think he knows it. He can try to give the money to the girl or just forget about it and learn from this.
It's a controversial decision. Should he have looked at the bigger picture, go for the greater need and help out the poor dude? Or should he have given the money to it's rightful owner?

There's lots of people who wouldn't have felt guilty at all. They wouldn't even see the dilemma. They'd see some skanky college girl who can own a car and think "rich girl doesn't need it". Then there are those who would have just taken the money for him/herself. I'm just trying to offer consolation in that at least he knows this.

EDIT: there are also people who would have felt guilty/know what they did was wrong and tried to rationalize it anyways. That's pretty lame.