What's new

Defense against Bane

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
Ok time for a rollercoaster of fun. Tell us who you play for more strats

So, defending against Bane is having to use a lot of tools to deal with all his options of opening you up. For example, if you want to escape his grab, you can neutral jump and it will whiff and you can punish him with a jump attack on the same jump.
Of course he can read that you are going to jump and do something else so it's a guess, but if he guess wrong you get a full combo (depending on who you play).

A good amount of characters can also backdash his grabs such as Batman, Catwoman, Superman, Harley and some others, especially on wakeup. Some characters like Green Lantern and Aquaman cannot do so since their backdash is so bad, all depends on the matchup.

Understanding his frame data is a big one too. Bane's fastest non-high move is 11 frames, which means that you can poke him out of a lot of stuff. Like if Bane is +2 off of some of his strings, he can't actually jail into it, since it will only come out at 9 frames, and you can beat him with any D1 (aside from Supergirl's). But it has to be a D1, because otherwise he can use his Standing 1 which is 7 frames (I think), so it would come out a 5 and you can't beat that.

Of course, if he expects you to poke, he can use his armour to try and punish you, but if you play patiently and bait an armoured move, you can punish him for it, and he'll be in debuff. He also can only do this if he uses his venom, so be wary of that.

This post went off on a bit of a tangent but defending against Bane is very different to fighting a lot of other characters. He has a lot of options to open you up, but almost all of them are unsafe so it's about understanding when to be patient and block or when to backdash or jump grabs.

fireborg

Noob
thanks 4 the reply man! i will go over it in training mode and check it all out

i play firestrom and as of now i use delayed wakeups against the grabs, MB B3 against level one or two trait run-ins or jumping over it and punishing the whiff, basic stuff like that..

Gengar

Hypnosis > Dreameater (its a reset)
MB b3 the charge on lvl 1 and 2 venom. If they are using lvl 3 just avoid them and go in while debuff is up.

With firestorm I usually will jump and air dash away and then bf3 to the other side of the screen he charges to follow me, makes it rather easy to keep him away as long hes not already on top of you

Cursa

Oh yeah that's what I was going to say.

As Firestorm you can air dash over the charge and then full combo punish it with BD2 MB

D

Deleted member 58466

Also, try to find some grab-immune strings / special moves. For example, Atrocitus' BF2 (Straight Napalm Vomit) is grab immune. Might help with checking him in the neutral.

fireborg

Noob
hey man, could you talk bit more about the usual ways he tries to open up?

cheers

Ok time for a rollercoaster of fun. Tell us who you play for more strats

So, defending against Bane is having to use a lot of tools to deal with all his options of opening you up. For example, if you want to escape his grab, you can neutral jump and it will whiff and you can punish him with a jump attack on the same jump.
Of course he can read that you are going to jump and do something else so it's a guess, but if he guess wrong you get a full combo (depending on who you play).

A good amount of characters can also backdash his grabs such as Batman, Catwoman, Superman, Harley and some others, especially on wakeup. Some characters like Green Lantern and Aquaman cannot do so since their backdash is so bad, all depends on the matchup.

Understanding his frame data is a big one too. Bane's fastest non-high move is 11 frames, which means that you can poke him out of a lot of stuff. Like if Bane is +2 off of some of his strings, he can't actually jail into it, since it will only come out at 9 frames, and you can beat him with any D1 (aside from Supergirl's). But it has to be a D1, because otherwise he can use his Standing 1 which is 7 frames (I think), so it would come out a 5 and you can't beat that.

Of course, if he expects you to poke, he can use his armour to try and punish you, but if you play patiently and bait an armoured move, you can punish him for it, and he'll be in debuff. He also can only do this if he uses his venom, so be wary of that.

This post went off on a bit of a tangent but defending against Bane is very different to fighting a lot of other characters. He has a lot of options to open you up, but almost all of them are unsafe so it's about understanding when to be patient and block or when to backdash or jump grabs.

Cursa

hey man, could you talk bit more about the usual ways he tries to open up?

cheers
Bane tries to open you up by using grabs and armoured moves. Grabs have to be jumped to be avoided, so it can make it difficult on a read, since if you keep jumping he can do other things like D2 you out of the air. Tick throws also help, and strings that Bane can tick throw off of include D1, D1, S1, 112D, F2D, B1, B11, B23 and I think some others but they're the main ones.

Good Bane players can also interrupt gaps using his natural armour, which I suppose is a way of opening you up. It gives him a knockdown which is where his mixups become really good.

After Bane has gotten a knockdown, he has a lot of options, depending on what the ender was (some enders can be tech rolled, some aren't very plus so you can escape them easier etc.), but generally it's 50/50 town.

Bane can beat wakeups using his armour. Some wakeups are grab immune, but he can still use any other armoured move on a read. If he goes for grab, you have to jump to avoid it, or backdash as some characters such as Batman, Catwoman, or Superman, but this can also be beaten occasionally if he's plus enough

Since you might jump to avoid the grab, he might D2 or S1 as oki, which beats neutral jumps and can lead to a lot of damage. These can also be tick thrown if you don't jump.

He has a starting low that often catches a lot of people, as well as BF2 as an overhead, which is risky since it leads to little damage, but gives him a hard knockdown that is also +20 so he can do a lot off of it. B2 is his starting low and B23 B23 123 DB1 leads to usually 400 meterlessly without venom.

F2D is an overhead starter that can be tick thrown out of and also has armour in level 3 venom.

So yeah, he has a lot of options, but one bit of advice is that these are all read based attempts. Like he can't react to you waking up and then grab you in time. Tick throws are reads as well, and punishing gaps is also a read since you can stop the string early and just block and punish his attempt to armour the gap. The most important thing is that everything Bane does is unsafe, minus a few exceptions that don't lead to much damage. All of his specials are unsafe, if you neutral jump a grab you can J2 as Firestorm I believe and punish him for big boy damage. Reads with armour are unsafe etc etc. Ensure that you punish Bane as much as you can.

Cursa

Golly god that was a long post, but hey.

The question was "How to open up someone as Bane" who is probably top 3 in terms of ways to open people up lol

fireborg

Noob
also a little follow up question, i know i can break his armor with a MB B3 while his trait is lvl 1,2 , 3 is bacislly unbreakable, right?

what i m not sure about tho, is how many hits of armour lvl 1/2 have - obviouslly should be 1 and 2 , but then how am I breaking level 2 with MB 3(also 2 hits of armour)?

Cursa

also a little follow up question, i know i can break his armor with a MB B3 while his trait is lvl 1,2 , 3 is bacislly unbreakable, right?

what i m not sure about tho, is how many hits of armour lvl 1/2 have - obviouslly should be 1 and 2 , but then how am I breaking level 2 with MB 3(also 2 hits of armour)?
Every level of venom only gets 1 hit of armour.

Levels just increase the amount of damage Bane does and decreases the amount of damage he takes.

Level 3 venom gets the added benefit of being immune to projectiles in specials, breaks armour himself (which is why you can't MB B3 level 3 specials) and his F2 gets armour as well.

fireborg

Noob
Every level of venom only gets 1 hit of armour.

Levels just increase the amount of damage Bane does and decreases the amount of damage he takes.

Level 3 venom gets the added benefit of being immune to projectiles in specials, breaks armour himself (which is why you can't MB B3 level 3 specials) and his F2 gets armour as well.
i see, thanks again man ;)

Zone Him!. Pew pew pew, I meant... fire fire fire!. and when He gets close!. push block into a MB roll ( Injustice 2 zoner special), or MB b3 into combo then... rinse and repeat.. No need to play neutral at all lol. In the case of Firestorm.. air fusion charge to change sides too... LMAO.

Cursa

Depends on who you play if you can zone him out reliably. Bane's forward dash works well when you understand how to use it and his MB roll covers more distance than I always thought.

It's about using a mixture of MB roll, forward dashes and armoured specials.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
Depends on who you play if you can zone him out reliably. Bane's forward dash works well when you understand how to use it and his MB roll covers more distance than I always thought.

It's about using a mixture of MB roll, forward dashes and armoured specials.

This. Beetle can run away from Bane all day, but other characters cannot. Bane has really great mobility when he is not in debuff.

Bane's worst nightmare are generally multi-hitting moves quicker than 20 frames. Bane has a lot of good options against zoning, but not many against characters with strong armor breaking tools. Quick strings and multi-hitting specials are the worst.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
pick brainiac

divekick his grab attempts

run away the whole match :)
Brainiac actually isn't too bad for Bane. Bane can anti-air his divekick attempts on reaction or easily interrupt the gap between divekick and mb divekick with his venomed dp.

It's definitely a lot harder for Bane online than offline, however.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
Brainiac actually isn't too bad for Bane. Bane can anti-air his divekick attempts on reaction or easily interrupt the gap between divekick and mb divekick with his venomed dp.

It's definitely a lot harder for Bane online than offline, however.
it also depeneds on how the brainiac player plays the MU, all they need really is one good dive kick combo, and then bane has to chase them the whole match, and deal with brainiacs absurd ranged normals and trait shenanigans.

definitely a 6-4 for brainy

Cursa

I'd say 5-5 personally. Momentum heavy matchup imo. Brainiac gets the life lead he can play the neutral game which Bane struggles in but if Bane gets life lead he doesn't have to take as many risks and a knockdown on Brainiac is party time for Bane.

Also Bane has more options to deal with strings cancelled into drones in the corner since they have a gap that can be punished with armour. Like B12xx4 gets punished, as does B123 I believe, since B12 - 3 has a gap as well. It's kind of risky cancelling into drone in the corner because if Bane gets a read and lands a MB Bane Bomb you're now the one in the corner against Bane. Not sure if Brainiac's wakeup is throw immune or not, but it can be stuffed easier than Beetle's as least.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
Hmm it's only banes game if he corners brainiac, it's brainiacs everywhere else. Also doing trait cancels vs bane isn't what brainiac should do. B12mb charge is a much better option

Last edited:

Cursa

Idk. Bane punishes strings cancelled into trait, minus B12 at like max range I think. You can try and block gaps but he could do reversal throw instead which catches a lot of ranged normals. One good BF2 read is all Bane needs, cause now he's +20 with a hard knockdown which works anywhere on the screen.

I just wouldn't considered Beetle and Brainiac both a 6-4, Beetle's far harder imo. Momentum heavy matchup I believe. Both characters are good at stopping the other from playing their game though. All it takes is a life lead.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
Beetle is by far Bane's most difficult MU. He can float and cheerio cannon Bane all day, leaving Bane with no way to catch him. When Bane enters debuff, Beetle switches on trait, outneutrals, and mixes, then backs off to float around the screen building meter and firing projectiles all day. Even when Bane finally catches Beetle, his wakeup is safe and grab immune, leaving Bane with very weak/risky oki options. Not to mention all of Beetle's quick hitting armor breaking strings.