What's new

Deconstructing The Teleport.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
The two things to understand about the teleport:

1. There actually is no ideal time to do it at all, as it is always un safe and full combo punishable, come to terms with that first.

2. But take this mentality into certain fights that, even though it is full combo punishable, certain characters (Jax, Jade, Reptile, Sub Zero, Noob, Stryker, Sheeva, Cyber Sub Zero, Kenshi, Raiden, Kano, Freddy) can't punish it very hard from underneath and that alone makes it worth throwing out at random, and don't class good ''uppercuts as punishes'', as 4-5 uppercut punishes won't meaning anything once Kung Lao lands one Teleport :fk into 21 spin.

The teleport is not ideal after block strings, except for :ex teleport.

Once you get good at hit confirming the :ex teleport you can start wiff grabbing and carrying your armour through, do this from JIP 21212, as it will build tons of meter and you will get it all back again with another 112, 1121 etc. Its practically free.

The rules of the teleport:

A neutral crouch from the opponent will beat a Kung Lao doing an Early :fk, however a late :fk from Kung Lao will combo a neutral crouch.

A D1 from the opponent will beat a Kung Lao when he is attempting a late :fk however a :bp overhead from Kung Lao will beat an opponents D1.

An opponent can back up from the Kung Lao overhead and full combo the wiff, however a :bk from Kung Lao on the way down will beat out an opponents wiff punish and or recover instantly to block/spin or teleport instantly again.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
The two things to understand about the teleport:

1. There actually is no ideal time to do it at all, as it is always un safe and full combo punishable, come to terms with that first.

2. But take this mentality into certain fights that, even though it is full combo punishable, certain characters (Jax, Jade, Reptile, Sub Zero, Noob, Stryker, Sheeva, Cyber Sub Zero, Kenshi, Raiden, Kano, Freddy) can't punish it very hard from underneath and that alone makes it worth throwing out at random, and don't class good ''uppercuts as punishes'', as 4-5 uppercut punishes won't meaning anything once Kung Lao lands one Teleport :fk into 21 spin.

The teleport is not ideal after block strings, except for :ex teleport.

Once you get good at hit confirming the :ex teleport you can start wiff grabbing and carrying your armour through, do this from JIP 21212, as it will build tons of meter and you will get it all back again with another 112, 1121 etc. Its practically free.

The rules of the teleport:

A neutral crouch from the opponent will beat a Kung Lao doing an Early :fk, however a late :fk from Kung Lao will combo a neutral crouch.

A D1 from the opponent will beat a Kung Lao when he is attempting a late :fk however a :bp overhead from Kung Lao will beat an opponents D1.

An opponent can back up from the Kung Lao overhead and full combo the wiff, however a :bk from Kung Lao on the way down will beat out an opponents wiff punish and or recover instantly to block/spin or teleport instantly again.
thx :)

but so wait,, if they block tele-3 your still unsafe or what?

Axel_Redd

k cool :), same thing for tele 4 right? 0 on block?

i'd say i already make quite good use of the teleport, using it at the right times.

also, isn't the teleport harder to react to if its done towards the top of ur screen?

UsedForGlue

thx :)

but so wait,, if they block tele-3 your still unsafe or what?
Early Tele 3 is 0 on block and +10 on hit, but as you land you lose frames, maybe 1-3 frames. But your always safe on block. On hit you can only get enough advantage to guarantee a d3, because if you go for a :fp or :bp you can be poked out of it, as they are both high.

Early Tele 3 is 0 on block and +10 on hit, but as you land you lose frames, maybe 1-3 frames. But your always safe on block. On hit you can only get enough advantage to guarantee a d3, because if you go for a :fp or :bp you can be poked out of it, as they are both high.
a standing 3 deals 2% chip and hits them if they try to poke The opponent never respects my d3 on hit. they only respect me if they get hit by a d4. if I try to proceed with 21 after d3 I always get poked out of and I dont want to spin in that situation so standing 3 is a good choice imo. once they respect that I can go for a grab or my 21/24 1121 pressure.

Axel_Redd

k...and is it just me, or is doing the teleport at the top of the screen a bit faster than doing it from the ground?

also heres another question, altho u may think it kind of strange for me to ask...Kung Lao is S tier according to the new tier list, yet its being said that a lot of his plays are quite risky. so im curious, exactly what is it about him that makes him s-tier...is it his ability to confuse you with his mobility or what? o-0

k...and is it just me, or is doing the teleport at the top of the screen a bit faster than doing it from the ground?
not its not just you somberness confirmed it when I asked him about it. it is indeed faster because you need less time to disappear form the screen if you teleport. but jumping also requires frames so it might be basically the same if you do it full screen. because when you jump close to the opponent he will have to guess what youre going to do and teleport is not the only thing that you will do. What I do notice is people sometimes get caught of guard if you teleport without jumping.

Axel_Redd

k. yeah it can create a mind game between a jip, a dive kick, djk or regular jump in and a tele :)

btw, i edited my previous post, asking why Kung is S tier exactly.

k. yeah it can create a mind game between a jip, a dive kick, djk or regular jump in and a tele :)

btw, i edited my previous post, asking why Kung is S tier exactly.
imo

fastest special and anti air in the game that is consistent on reaction( clone doesnt count because it shatters if youre too close, its done on a read).
best jab in the game standing 2. having the option to 21. 24 which can done on its own or land in overhead(low hat but risky) on hit these strings are +. 21212 builds hella meter and is safe on block against half the cast. standing 2 can stop a lot of pressure other characters cant or cant properly do. for example kabals block strings.

1121 string hitconfirmable in spin

teleport 2 overhead, teleport 3 instant, delay teleport 3 with great mindgames

he has the best mobility, whiff dive kick teleport, roll, ex teleport whiff grab is basically free get in if the opponent doesnt have ex ray. top 5 best at building meter, probably only second to kabal. he blows up zoning from the best characters, kabal cant mindlesly zone him, kenshi's zoning gets blown up freddy cant zone him either.

he has a semi small hitbox so kabal and other cant do all the pressure moves on him, jax cant f41 him without getting full combo'd.

he wrecks 90% of the high hitbox characters

has good damage midcreen great damage in the corner. does top 5 chip damage in the game.

he has a lot of stuff he can do safe like random jumpkick dive kick over the opponent, while you see charcters like scorpion who sometimes jumpkick teleport on read but isnt safe like kung lao. he has very good ability to pickup combos from almost all situations.

good wakeup options. spin, ex spin. teleport, ex teleport.

he probably has more, but I think I said more than enough to prove he is s tier:D

the only bad matchups he has are imo: johnny cage, cyrax, sektor. and these are 6-4 so its not crazy bad. imo he is the third best character in the game, he ties with cyrax.

Axel_Redd

Kenshi, Kabal, And Kung Lao are the top 3, or the Killer Kombatant Klan :D

and aparently according to UsedForGlue theres only 3 characters that can punish 21212 and only one special from each of them. and thats Smoke, Raiden, and reptile. Altho it can still be interrupted, but thats where the mind games with spin or teleport come in. You could also go for 2121212 but i think thats even more unsafe than just 21212. Also....why the hell is 2121212 not listed in the moveslist? Forget something there NRS? :p

Cage isn't too bad if you can keep him out, cage is the kind of character i really like using grindhat shenanigans against :p

Kenshi, Kabal, And Kung Lao are the top 3, or the Killer Kombatant Klan :D

and aparently according to UsedForGlue theres only 3 characters that can punish 21212 and only one special from each of them. and thats Smoke, Raiden, and reptile. Altho it can still be interrupted, but thats where the mind games with spin or teleport come in. You could also go for 2121212 but i think thats even more unsafe than just 21212. Also....why the hell is 2121212 not listed in the moveslist? Forget something there NRS? :p

Cage isn't too bad if you can keep him out, cage is the kind of character i really like using grindhat shenanigans against :p
cage and kabal punish it with full combo, kung lao himself punishes with 24 overhead and if in the right stance 24 spin. jax probably punishes it as well with f4. kenshi can force push it. I honestly dont see how smoke punishes it though.

You can make it safe if you cancel it into ex teleport, but not if they have x ray

Axel_Redd

but it has that bit of pushback tho...i coulda swore usedforglue said it was only those 3...it said so in his guide.

UsedForGlue

cage and kabal punish it with full combo, kung lao himself punishes with 24 overhead and if in the right stance 24 spin. jax probably punishes it as well with f4. kenshi can force push it. I honestly dont see how smoke punishes it though.

You can make it safe if you cancel it into ex teleport, but not if they have x ray
I have to update the guide.

Axel_Redd

hmm, in thatcase i could try 2121212 on those characters since it has more push back, they could get a special off but, probably no combo

hmm, in thatcase i could try 2121212 on those characters since it has more push back, they could get a special off but, probably no combo
you mean the overhead end? everyone punishes that, its worse. the way I use it is not to just chip and build meter. like for example when you do multiple 21's and the opponents quickly pokes you between those strings you don't have to go for a risky spin. you can mix it up with 21212 into hitconfirm spin, beating their pokes. that way even if characters like kabal and cage punish you with full combo you almost already built 1 bar which means more than likely you will have acces to breaker already or soon.

I have to update the guide.
a lot of info has been lost when the site went down.

Axel_Redd

so does 2121212 have any use at all then? About the only thing i can think of would be mixing it up with low hat. Sure low hat isnt exactly part of kunglao's pressure anymore, but it's still pretty useful in some cases cuz it puts you in a good position for footsies on hit.