What's new

Dear NRS: Why was the Joker Nerfed so badly from Injustice 1?

See this game, being injustice 2, is still young for sure. However Joker isn't new. Everything about him is still the same minus his nerfs. This current version of joker, outside of his nerfs, is pretty much the same, while other legacy characters gotten stronger. From what it sounds like, you haven't actually dived into the Joker MU yourself personally to know enough about Jokers strengths and weaknesses. Not saying that you really needed to though. But before trying to say your not convinced, thoroughly learn joker and the MU and a lot of the questions you asked will be answered and you'll see what we are all talking about. Thanks again being respectful.
tbh i dont own injustice 2 and have never touched. :D. i will take any laughter you have for that, but whatever im a vet and in mkx i explained bloodgods and demolitions potential to tym back when everyone ignored them for war god and covert ops.

i notice stuff has changed, like the nerfed hitbox on j2, which makes crossup a bit different. thats why i hope you guys experiment with stuff like different pushbacks and actually pixel changes in spacing and shimmies, maybe teeth setups that cover his gaps, and how you get those going - which might be by traiting up fullscreen before anything else, using teeth immediately after the unblockable run, if necessary in combination with mbf3, whatever. or how MB roll works with jokers stuff.

ive seen this good joker on red hot sundays and it actually looked solid, not all gimmicks to me. and in the end, strategy also matters a lot. maybe joker just has a super-weird and complex approach to everything that has yet to be discovered.

alkipot

Purse first, ass last.
Compare it to other traits, thats the point joker players are making.

Blackadam gets plus frames and unblockable damage and combo links

Atrocitous gets the most dominant neutral i've seen

Aquaman gets an 'jesus take the wheel' button

Harley gets oki and anti zoning tools

Cheetah with trait gets like 40% by accident

I could go on and on. All of those characters have better neutral tools also.
Joker does have problems, but I will argue to the death that even with his mediocre neutral, his is better than Cheetahs. Her trait is very good, though, assuming you can get in, as Leap has poor startup and is easy to anti air.

Whoever mentioned the Joker getting better reaching normals/string per HA really gave a great idea.

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
tbh i dont own injustice 2 and have never touched. :D. i will take any laughter you have for that, but whatever im a vet and in mkx i explained bloodgods and demolitions potential to tym back when everyone ignored them for war god and covert ops.

i notice stuff has changed, like the nerfed hitbox on j2, which makes crossup a bit different. thats why i hope you guys experiment with stuff like different pushbacks and actually pixel changes in spacing and shimmies, maybe teeth setups that cover his gaps, and how you get those going - which might be by traiting up fullscreen before anything else, using teeth immediately after the unblockable run, if necessary in combination with mbf3, whatever. or how MB roll works with jokers stuff.

ive seen this good joker on red hot sundays and it actually looked solid, not all gimmicks to me. and in the end, strategy also matters a lot. maybe joker just has a super-weird and complex approach to everything that has yet to be discovered.
You don't even have the game.... and we touched on that joker from red hot Sunday's. We all watched him and the guy was losing to character unfamiliarity. He was literally getting away with murder and joker, just like any other character, can get into your head. Playing joker requires a lot of skill regardless. I can't believe you don't even have this game.

Wigy

There it is...
Joker does have problems, but I will argue to the death that even with his mediocre neutral, his is better than Cheetahs. Her trait is very good, though, assuming you can get in, as Leap has poor startup and is easy to anti air.

Whoever mentioned the Joker getting better reaching normals/string per HA really gave a great idea.
Cheetah gets in easier and has much better oki.

Hell her f3 might have hella startup but its got stupid af range breaks armour and is +10 or something big on block.

She has an unusual neutral but its 100% better than joker.

trufenix

bye felicia
NOTE: These aren't mu specific things. This applies to every character in the game. Every character can easily counter us because it is excruciatingly difficult to get offense started in the first place.
I appreciate the heck out of your post, not just because it provides practical examples but because I (currently Joke-curious) learned something from it. Unfortunately, it still basically just says he would be better if he was more plus on block, had faster lows, better hit boxes, and more damage. A statement that could apply generically to every character ever. Doesn't say who is beating him, how or why, just "it's bad, fix it."

Tragically they already "fixed it" once and they blew it. And nobody is coming to explain why to us, ever. If I had to guess, I'd say they honestly just don't know how. Which means its on us to show them how.

I mean look at the number of times "not playing the MU right" has been typed in this thread with no further detail. What MU? How do you play it wrong? With what character? Does Joker just have 6-4s or worse across the entire cast? Is there anybody he goes even with? Anybody he beats? Is anything working at all? Where should we start so we don't accidentally Bane him to the top with a poorly planned buff?

We'll never know, cause most of this thread is just people saying they know best, so trust them. And insults to the people we want to fix it. And curse words. Designers and programmers wipe their ass with feedback like that.

I appreciate the heck out of your post, not just because it provides practical examples but because I (currently Joke-curious) learned something from it. Unfortunately, it still basically just says he would be better if he was more plus on block, had faster lows, better hit boxes, and more damage. A statement that could apply generically to every character ever. Doesn't say who is beating him, how or why, just "it's bad, fix it."

Tragically they already "fixed it" once and they blew it. And nobody is coming to explain why to us, ever. If I had to guess, I'd say they honestly just don't know how. Which means its on us to show them how.

I mean look at the number of times "not playing the MU right" has been typed in this thread with no further detail. What MU? How do you play it wrong? With what character? Does Joker just have 6-4s or worse across the entire cast? Is there anybody he goes even with? Anybody he beats? Is anything working at all? Where should we start so we don't accidentally Bane him to the top with a poorly planned buff?

We'll never know, cause most of this thread is just people saying they know best, so trust them. And insults to the people we want to fix it. And curse words. Designers and programmers wipe their ass with feedback like that.
I'm glad you learned something from it......and I hate to sound rude but it really seems like you're not understanding the purpose of this thread. I don't think one joker in this community or in this thread said he needs a faster low or more damage. Like I said before, his problem is that he cannot get his offense started. I'm going to say it again "He cannot get his offense started" Please tell me how this statement is mu specific. (It isn't. That's the problem. That's what we're addressing.)

Edit: Plz don't generalize things what we want like "+ frames, more damage, etc" We have very clearly spoken about this in the beginning of the thread itself.

Last edited:

trufenix

bye felicia
@trufenix

You got a rebuttal?
I never had a rebuttal. I agree 100% he is bad. I agree one hundred percent he should be better. But this thread is ass and will accomplish nothing. People take the piss out of Tom and REO and even Pig for their long winded dramatic videos and rants, but at least they show their work. That's why they get the buffs / nerfs they ask for, or at least why they get answers.

The Joker forum is criminally short on posts and analysis of his actual, real problems. It has a lot of people saying he has problems, but it almost always comes with the disclaimer that anybody with a brain knows this, and anyone who plays the match up right knows this, or if you played Joker in Inj1 you already know this.

None of that is helpful. Maybe it makes you feel better about playing a shit character, but it doesn't help them get fixed. I mean we have the proof. We have inj1.

I never had a rebuttal. I agree 100% he is bad. I agree one hundred percent he should be better. But this thread is ass and will accomplish nothing. People take the piss out of Tom and REO and even Pig for their long winded dramatic videos and rants, but at least they show their work. That's why they get the buffs / nerfs they ask for, or at least why they get answers.

The Joker forum is criminally short on posts and analysis of his actual, real problems. It has a lot of people saying he has problems, but it almost always comes with the disclaimer that anybody with a brain knows this, and anyone who plays the match up right knows this, or if you played Joker in Inj1 you already know this.

None of that is helpful. Maybe it makes you feel better about playing a shit character, but it doesn't help them get fixed. I mean we have the proof. We have inj1.
We've told you the problem multiple times now. He has no tools to start his offense. That is a real problem, and, as you noted earlier in my comment, we have given solid evidence on why exactly he cannot get his offense started. I think the Joker community has already agreed that we messed up in inj1. We should have been more vocal about his issues, but we weren't. Now we are vocal about this problem and have given evidence in this thread on our reasoning.

trufenix

bye felicia
I'm glad you learned something from it......and I hate to sound rude but it really seems like you're not understanding the purpose of this thread.
It's not rude. I absolutely do not understand the purpose of this thread.

I don't think one joker in this community or in this thread said he needs a faster low or more damage. Like I said before, his problem is that he cannot get his offense started. I'm going to say it again "He cannot get his offense started" Please tell me how this statement is mu specific. (It isn't. That's the problem. That's what we're addressing.)
Even worse then that I interpretted your post wrong, but let me say very specifically and directly to your point that "He cannot get his offense started" is a meaningless assertion. Literally, meaningless. True or not, in the terms of a man who knows Joker inside and out like you and all the others, it says nothing to me about what his offense is or how to start it. It does not say which buff will be of greatest benefit in what MUs, or express any indication that it will not be inert or further damage the games balance.

Edit: Plz don't generalize things what we want like "+ frames, more damage, etc" We have very clearly spoken about this in the beginning of the thread itself.
Right, but this thread is garbage. Literal garbage. I get that YOU like it, because you are an angry Joker main with tons of mu knowledge / experience IN YOUR HEAD. You know what Joker's offense is, you know what you would like him to be able to do when you push the buttons. But none of that is conveyed here. You might think it is, because everyone is in here agreeing with each other but it isn't. Not to someone who until 2 weeks ago probably thought they did a good job with inj2 Joker. Not to anyone who hasn't been in the trenches with you this whole time.

It's not rude. I absolutely do not understand the purpose of this thread.

Even worse then that I interpretted your post wrong, but let me say very specifically and directly to your point that "He cannot get his offense started" is a meaningless assertion. Literally, meaningless. True or not, in the terms of a man who knows Joker inside and out like you and all the others, it says nothing to me about what his offense is or how to start it. It does not say which buff will be of greatest benefit in what MUs, or express any indication that it will not be inert or further damage the games balance.

Right, but this thread is garbage. Literal garbage. I get that YOU like it, because you are an angry Joker main with tons of mu knowledge / experience IN YOUR HEAD. You know what Joker's offense is, you know what you would like him to be able to do when you push the buttons. But none of that is conveyed here. You might think it is, because everyone is in here agreeing with each other but it isn't. Not to someone who until 2 weeks ago probably thought they did a good job with inj2 Joker. Not to anyone who hasn't been in the trenches with you this whole time.
I'll just dm you

Jack White

The Clown Prince of Crime
I think the Joker community has already agreed that we messed up in inj1. We should have been more vocal about his issues, but we weren't. Now we are vocal about this problem and have given evidence in this thread on our reasoning.
Yup. We seriously screwed up. I remember 16Bit saying on stream "people thought the Joker was bad in the first game but he was secretly really good guys! So we barely changed him." I'm paraphrasing, but that was the gist. The fact that the NRS development team actually thinks this is a massive fuck up on our parts.

Maybe I'm just bad lmao but I struggle against joker in the corner
That is literally the only area Joker excels at, so don't feel bad.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
Yup. We seriously screwed up. I remember 16Bit saying on stream "people thought the Joker was bad in the first game but he was secretly really good guys! So we barely changed him." I'm paraphrasing, but that was the gist. The fact that the NRS development team actually thinks this is a massive fuck up on our parts
I watched the stream, and I literally don't remember that even as an accurate paraphrase. I get that you're frustrated, but I don't think misquoting and shaming people for no reason is going to change anything.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
I dont mean to be a dick here.. but instead of saying things like "our character got butchered and this thread will never see the light of day", lets be productive and level up with our character instead of whining for buffs.

I think a better way to go about these issues would be to collectively find and use all possible tech. Figure out optimal distances for gun use, MB rolls, parrying gaps in strings/pressure, optimal punishes with corner carry, etc. Its obvious Joker is an absolute monster in the corner and has the damage to take games, the problem is his neutral and opening up the opponent mid-screen.

So lets take our character to the highest level possible, hit up tournaments, show both NRS and the community what our character can truly do and let the results speak for themselves. If Joker still seems lackluster, cant get out of pools and is just getting washed.. people will see and he will get the love I personally agree that he needs.
Oh, you sweet summer child.

Jamar

AnubizBlackk
Why did you gimp the Joker, a character that struggled in the first game?

Why did you butcher the hitbox on his J2?
Why did you you remove all his OTGs?
Why did you slow down the gas canister and gut its frame advantage on meter burn?
Why did you remove the acid flower, his only reliable wake up?
Why did you make him less + on so many things and slow down his specials?

The worst part about all these nerfs (and I'm sure there's more) is that at the same time, nothing went into address his glaring problems from the first game.

Why does he still have a useless trait? Who at NRS honestly thinks faster jumps/walk speed is a good enough effect to justify having to activate the trait 3 times? Almost every other character gets a better effect just for pressing trait once. Why does the Joker need to work so hard to get such a mediocre ability? This trait needs a total rework, it's trash.

Why do his combo strings still have gap issues? 212 and f23 in particular still don't work right. Some whiffing issues were dealt with, but a host of other issues cropped up in its place.

Why does he still get boxed out by zoning? Sure, there are characters in every fighting game that lose to certain types of play styles, but with the Joker, it's ridiculous. Fighting a good Dr. Fate shouldn't feel hopeless most of the time. He needs good anti-zoning tools on the level of Catwoman and Black Canary since his whole play style is based on getting in people's face.

Why is his neutral still so terrible? In order for Joker to get big damage he has to either land a mid or a jump in. He has no reliable low starters or overheads that can be meter burned. That is horrendous, especially when compounded with the fact that he was nerfed overall. The fact that he has this issue while also having no decent advancing normals is crippling. He's bad at dealing with zoning, but even when he gets in he's horrendous at opening up the opponent outside the corner. This makes zero sense.

What makes all these balancing issues so glaring is that in comparison to most of the cast, they're ridiculous. Why does Joker need to have his j2 nerfed, but Batman gets to keep his? Why does Joker need to lose his wakeup move, but Dr. Fate gets to have a safe full screen knocking anti airing invincible wake-up? Why does Harley get an entirely new and useful trait, while Joker's trait changes misses the point of why his trait was so bad in the first place? It wasn't just that it was too hard to get the HA's in the first game, it's that the HA's themselves are a useless bonus even at 3.

To sum up, as Alioune puts it:

Joker currently "gets outzoned by the same characters that rush him down. No wakeup reversal, no trait and no advancing normal= RIP in this game"

PS: MB gun is mostly useless because of its horrendous hit box. It's hard to combo into and even if you land the combo, the reward isn't so great. There's no reason this move shouldn't be a mid. Literally the only good addition was the joybuzzer since it's great at bullying opponents who mindlessly do wakeup attacks, but the fact that it has no low variation is a glaring weakness.

EDIT: Added section on string gaps as per @StevoSuprem0 's request.
Not To Mention They Took Away His Low Parry.