What's new

Strategy Dealing with Deathstroke's zoning

RYX

BIG PUSHER
dude. i dont think death stroke is broken but you cant compare this with mk. its a totally different game with different mechanics
I was bringing up the point of a projectile being as fast as character jabs, with him ignoring the block disadvantage(as fools usually do)

It's the same engine, I think comparisons can be made.

Posthuman

Where's TJ Combo?
So basically you guys are saying that once we learn how to get around it and learn how to move better DS wont be as good?

Pakman

Lawless Victory!
Here's the wiki for DS' frame data: http://testyourmight.com/wiki/index.php/Deathstroke

Pay attention to the following for all his gun shot specials:

Recovery (between 130 to 160!!!)
Adv on hit (on ALL his non-ex gun shots, DS is NEGATIVE ON HIT!)
Adv on block (-21 to -47)

For Comparison sake, here is Aquaman's: http://testyourmight.com/wiki/index.php/Aquaman

Trident toss (Aquaman's projectile)

Recovery (-27)
Adv on hit (+7)
Adv on block (-27)

Screw Deathstroke, we need a 'Dealing with Aquaman's zoning' thread!

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Played some KOTH and after the first two or three scrub-strokes lose to a few of us they all quit the lobby. After awhile we get a few guys whose herocard rocks Deathstroke and they check us for whether we can handle his zoning. When all of us show we got this and start punishing them they started playing the character and it was really hype to start running sets with Deathstrokes who actually would run combos and go for stuff. Block punishing blew up one with Green Arrow, but another managed to corner and suffocate me more than once since my wakeup game aint too hot yet. Started getting him on D2 and D1 though, but too little too late.

Anyhow we all messed around after the first two or three Legit-stroke sets each gave us and then we all just played Bane to counterpick each other's Deathstrokes and hilarity ensued as the whole lobby became battle of the beasts as we all started running Doomsday, Grundy, and Bane sets for an hour. After that we would run Deathstrokes mirrors here and there and one match was just Stroke vs Superman stance switching and teabagging rapidly for shits.

Good times were had by all. Well except for the Guy who showed up, did great with Grundy and the moment his streak was going to end ragequit on final hit to leave the lobby lol.

What a wonderful time we all had playing a lobby without whining about zoning simply by adapting to Deathstroke's playstyle. ;)

DreadzTsung

"Darkness is the heart's true essence"
Deathstroke's zoning was designed in burst fashion to counter armor and force your opponent to get in manually. Since Deathstroke does not follow the rule of common single-fireball zoning, there are some tactics you can add to your game.

Best tips to deal with his zoning are:

- Ducking Low
By ducking low you avoid his instant air gun shots and standing gun shots. This means you strip his options into use low gun shots and assault rifle. Meter burn standing gun shots fire six bullets which do more chip on block. Crouching low gun shots fire four bullets which do less chip. Keep in mind if he decides to meter burn his assault rifle, it will fire a grenade that is an overhead and the end. You can see this on reaction and block standing.

- Staying on the ground more than the air
If Deathstroke's guns hit you while you are airborne, they will knock you further away from him. This can open up accidental teching which is what you do not want to do because it will put you even further away from him (important to remember this). It can also be very difficult to avoid streams of bullets while you are in the air. There is a very good chance you will be clipped and knocked away.

- Avoid trying to armor through
Since Deathstroke's projectiles are rapid fire shots that rip through armor (including most supers), it is a bad idea. Wasting meter on armor to try and bulldog your way in is what Deathstroke wants. Instead save your meter for other areas that you will need for when you do get in.

- Work your way in
You can work your way in on Deathstoke with proper movement. Unlike other high profile zoners (Cyborg, GL), Deathstroke's zoning does NOT push you back on block. This means you can crouch block gun shots and then inch your way in. Some characters with good dashes can even block gun shots, and then get a free dash in to cover more ground. Patience is a big key in this match and it plays an important role. Be aware of him randomly meter burning his gun shots if he sees you trying to mash forward dash while blocking, this may catch you by surprise so keep an eye on his meter.

- Dealing with Character Power (Unblockable Bullets)
You should always be on your toes trying to make sure Deathstroke can not go into his character power at ease. By constantly moving forward and staying on his tail, there is a very good chance he won't be able to use it with no consequence. His character power has a lot of start-up so many characters can punish him mid-screen, some even full-screen. If he does get it out, it's better to jump in the air and take minimal damage by taking air gun shots or being clipped by ground fire. Staying on the ground when he has his character power active is bad because he can easily drain 40% of your health.

I hope this helps some of you out there deal with his zoning better. There are some characters that can even outzone Deathstroke as well.

Sent from my mobile
I can't even lie. I just copied this and put it in my iphone note pad.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
idk if cyborg can hit deathstroke with iafb when he's duck blocking but if he can then ggs deathstroke
NRS made sure that you could not shortcut instant aerial fireballs with u/b,f + button input like you can in Mortal Kombat. You have to perform them manually (i.e., jump and execute the inputs) or do Zangief's SPD motion, which has been inconsistent for me. Good luck performing these aerial fireballs very low to the ground to hit Deathstroke out of the low gun shot.

Deathstroke's zoning is overrated in the first place. Online scrubs are crying, which should not surprise anyone. Deathstroke has no push back on any of his projectiles unless EX machine gun is done at a very specific range.

Cyborg iafbs do hit deathstroke but he also is able to trade low and regular gun shits with me and since I am in the air i get knockdown and he can continue zoning before I can start my Iafbs. I am completely lost in the cyborg vs DS match.

DreadzTsung

"Darkness is the heart's true essence"
NRS made sure that you could not shortcut instant aerial fireballs with u/b,f + button input like you can in Mortal Kombat. You have to perform them manually (i.e., jump and execute the inputs) or do Zangief's SPD motion, which has been inconsistent for me. Good luck performing these aerial fireballs very low to the ground to hit Deathstroke out of the low gun shot.

Deathstroke's zoning is overrated in the first place. Online scrubs are crying, which should not surprise anyone. Deathstroke has no push back on any of his projectiles unless EX machine gun is done at a very specific range.
I usually seem to punish him with my shazam and catwoman. But when I use my main which is joker. It seems very hard. But I guess I just need to apply the same strategy I use with shazam and apply it to joker. With cat woman I just dd3 and cat dash my way in seems to work wonders. As long as I don't touch him with the cat dash. Because he will probably retaliate of my recover if he blocks.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I usually seem to punish him with my shazam and catwoman. But when I use my main which is joker. It seems very hard. But I guess I just need to apply the same strategy I use with shazam and apply it to joker. With cat woman I just dd3 and cat dash my way in seems to work wonders. As long as I don't touch him with the cat dash. Because he will probably retaliate of my recover if he blocks.
Do not get me wrong. It IS hard. Deathstroke most likely is a top tier character.

Great Deathstroke player will zone you with guns. Then when you try to get too close, they will attempt to push you back with d+1 xx d,b+3 and b+1,u+2.

It is a simple strategy. But simple first-week strategies usually get exposed very quickly (i.e., first-week Kano in MK).

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?

Just cuz u can't shortcut doesn't mean they are inconsistant plus the back foward motion is the easiest instant air to execute next to a down back instant air. Ask THTB I showed him and did them consistantly online. Matter of fact not only can he block infinite deathstroke but can he do it to 18 other characters including himself. Its not hard don't act like they are kabal iagb from umk3 because now they are easy for me

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
IAFBs like Kabals are still possible in IGAU, but they're slightly more difficult.

What does that have to do with anything? I realize this site was devoted to MK but you mk guys are gonna have to come to the realization that mk=/=injustice. I couldnt care less whats in mk never played it never will.
Okay fine the startup of Sinestro's fireball is 9 frames :coffee:

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Since I see this thread is still going, I'll go ahead and repost this.

Anyone on xbox who is having trouble with Deathstroke's zoning, just hit me up and we can do online practice together. I want nothing more than to see the Scrubstrokes get blown up for giving my character a bad name.

I'm currently on a 70+ win streak, so I'm confident I know my shit with the character. Sometimes I beat people without actually firing a shot just to shut them up. I got a perfect in a Deathstroke mirror last night. I know how to play him and I know how to fight him.

I genuinely want to help other players learn how to deal with his zoning, so please take me up on this offer. GT: Karaokelove

M2Dave

Zoning Master
IAFBs like Kabals are still possible in IGAU, but they're slightly more difficult.
Slightly more difficult? How so? Ask Kabal players not to do u/b,f+1 in MK and see how fast they can do aerial gas blasts then.

Cyborg's are a lot more difficult. And they are not as fast as Kabal's anyway.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Slightly more difficult? How so? Ask Kabal players not to do u/b,f+1 in MK and see how fast they can do aerial gas blasts then.

Cyborg's are a lot more difficult. And they are not as fast as Kabal's anyway.
You can do u/b, d/f+1 and you get a fireball. The input doesn't feel as lenient as MK, though. And even though they're not as fast, they have a ton more blockstun.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
You can do u/b, d/f+1 and you get a fireball. The input doesn't feel as lenient as MK, though. And even though they're not as fast, they have a ton more blockstun.
Even if Cyborg is a superior zoning character theoretically, are his normal attacks better than Deathstroke's? Deathstroke has certain normal attacks that even Kenshi and Freddy wish they had.