What's new

Strategy D1~Ex Fan Lift?

GGA Saucy Jack

The artist formerly known as ImNewbieSauce
I love F12xxparry against cage. Condition them that you D3 after F12, then when it matters....F12xxEXparry for full combo win. Make a lot of liu kang noises loudly and walk out of the room.

Also pimpimjim....that tech we are working....you know...empty jump in into stance change into unsafe special...its in the same family as this post. Lol.

Overall this is a very good tool to keep your opponents honest once in a while if they try to counterpoke or punish the blocked D+1. But in general, even at max range, if it's blocked, you are at -106(please correct me if I'm wrong), and also it can be armored through if say you go up against kabal (trust me I've tried). So yes It is something to consider but not something to be relied on. I've been thinking heavily about using this as a good means to keep someone on their toes on counterpoking kitty. Good topic man.

Because its hella unsafe and it's a waste of meter :(

I swear Kitana is such a double-edged sword. Her unsafe options: if they hit, they are extremely rewarding (cutter, lift, f21, etc) but may God help you if they are blocked or if they whiff :(
f21 on whiff is punishable by baraka's u4 :O

Overall this is a very good tool to keep your opponents honest once in a while if they try to counterpoke or punish the blocked D+1. But in general, even at max range, if it's blocked, you are at -106(please correct me if I'm wrong), and also it can be armored through if say you go up against kabal (trust me I've tried). So yes It is something to consider but not something to be relied on. I've been thinking heavily about using this as a good means to keep someone on their toes on counterpoking kitty. Good topic man.
you're wrong. there's no move in this or any other game that's -106. you're -50 at point blank, much less at max range

You're wasting a bar for something that can be interrupted and hella punishable on whiff. Isn't her d1 like -3 on hit also?

D1 ex fan might be better to cancel back dash, but this is just a gimmick.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
You're wasting a bar for something that can be interrupted and hella punishable on whiff. Isn't her d1 like -3 on hit also?

D1 ex fan might be better to cancel back dash, but this is just a gimmick.
yea its -3 on crouch it. -1 on on stand. cancel adv is +1 on both stand and crouch block, so it can catch opponents trying to counterpoke with a normal.

still emo about this lol.

astronout

see you at the top.
Let's talk about d1~ex lift.

I was playing Astronout offline this past weekend and he was using Cage. We all know that using d1 against Cage is suicidal, so I'm sure some of us resorted into using d3 against his pressure. Astro was constantly on me with F3 pressure and I decided to troll and use d1~ex lift, and it hit. The "WTF's" and LOL's came of course, but we moved on from it. He caught me with F3 pressure again and I decided to use d1~ex lift again, and it hit. He then did F33B3 and before he can start his pressure, I went for d1-ex lift again. He blocked it this time, but, d1 was used at max range and when the lift came out, he blocked it at the very last second, causing the lift to be safe.

Thoughts?

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
A lot of you guys are saying this is interruptable but that's pretty difficult. With d1~cutter you have 13 frames to interrupt, which many players already have a hard time doing. With this you have only 9. Unless they have godlike reaction you'll probably just have to worry about it being blocked.

zaf

professor
Here are my thoughts.

khaotik said this in his original post and it sums it up well.

I'm sure they know about how unsafe this really is, but if they are thinking about it the same way I think about it, they are doing it on a read against super aggressive foes. Maybe we can start doing it too?

Also. You do this to someone once, they start to double think your moves.
This then allows you to get away with d1 into grab etc.

IF you want to start beating higher level comp, you need to read and adapt to them not always the game. These sort of moves allow for this.

xKhaoTik

Used this at WB. I won a match because of it lol.

Used it a lot in casuals too. People liked it and got pretty hype about it.

coolwhip

Noob
Because its hella unsafe and it's a waste of meter :(

I swear Kitana is such a double-edged sword. Her unsafe options: if they hit, they are extremely rewarding (cutter, lift, f21, etc) but may God help you if they are blocked or if they whiff :(
I feel she's one of the safest characters in the game... Sure, she has some risky options but generally, she's not forced to take risks nearly as much as others.

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
Sometimes I do d1 into ass because:

they duck in anticipation of the cutter to punish, and by the time they see the ass come out they're like "oh wut thats not what I was looking for". I only do that once per set though because its soooooooooooo risky.

xKhaoTik

Sometimes I do d1 into ass because:

they duck in anticipation of the cutter to punish, and by the time they see the ass come out they're like "oh wut thats not what I was looking for". I only do that once per set though because its soooooooooooo risky.
i was doing d1 ass the entire weekend lol