What's new

Strategy D1~Ex Fan Lift?

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Let's talk about d1~ex lift.

Now, I know that sounds very silly and whatnot, but let me explain my situation.

I was playing Astronout offline this past weekend and he was using Cage. We all know that using d1 against Cage is suicidal, so I'm sure some of us resorted into using d3 against his pressure. Astro was constantly on me with F3 pressure and I decided to troll and use d1~ex lift, and it hit. The "WTF's" and LOL's came of course, but we moved on from it. He caught me with F3 pressure again and I decided to use d1~ex lift again, and it hit. He then did F33B3 and before he can start his pressure, I went for d1-ex lift again. He blocked it this time, but, d1 was used at max range and when the lift came out, he blocked it at the very last second, causing the lift to be safe.

I'm not too sure if this is a good tactic or not. I started using it more and it definitely works against over aggressive foes, like Cage and Kang, but at the same time, if the spacing isn't right or if this is blocked, this is suicidal. It also has a 9f gap on block, so it's pretty easy to interrupt. Usually, I just go for d3 and then start my 21 pressure.

Reason why I ask this is I see zaf using d1~lift with Ermac or Slips using d1-spear with Scorpion, and it has had success. I'm sure they know about how unsafe this really is, but if they are thinking about it the same way I think about it, they are doing it on a read against super aggressive foes. Maybe we can start doing it too? Idk, I am emo about this.

Thoughts?

xKhaoTik

I really don't like doing d1 into anything for a poke or pressure, unless I'm Sonya because D1~ex cartwheel is just broken lol, but at the same time, on a read, it can work.

ugh...idk lol

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Let's talk about d1~ex lift.

Now, I know that sounds very silly and whatnot, but let me explain my situation.

I was playing Astronout offline this past weekend and he was using Cage. We all know that using d1 against Cage is suicidal, so I'm sure some of us resorted into using d3 against his pressure. Astro was constantly on me with F3 pressure and I decided to troll and use d1~ex lift, and it hit. The "WTF's" and LOL's came of course, but we moved on from it. He caught me with F3 pressure again and I decided to use d1~ex lift again, and it hit. He then did F33B3 and before he can start his pressure, I went for d1-ex lift again. He blocked it this time, but, d1 was used at max range and when the lift came out, he blocked it at the very last second, causing the lift to be safe.

I'm not too sure if this is a good tactic or not. I started using it more and it definitely works against over aggressive foes, like Cage and Kang, but at the same time, if the spacing isn't right or if this is blocked, this is suicidal. It also has a 9f gap on block, so it's pretty easy to interrupt. Usually, I just go for d3 and then start my 21 pressure.

Reason why I ask this is I see zaf using d1~lift with Ermac or Slips using d1-spear with Scorpion, and it has had success. I'm sure they know about how unsafe this really is, but if they are thinking about it the same way I think about it, they are doing it on a read against super aggressive foes. Maybe we can start doing it too? Idk, I am emo about this.

Thoughts?
It works with characters that can constantly punish pokes.
People are so ingrained that they CAN do it.. that they just react.

This is that "read my opponent" type of dealio. I can't say it is legit.... but you catch someone hitting ... for example f33 with a d1 they won't react and hit the block button in time more often than not.

The beauty of the block button rather than back to block. (if you did f33 you'd option select the b3 or nutpunch if it were back to block... and never worry about anything).

Vagrant

Noob
Same principle as d1 spear really.

Use it to slow aggressive chars down a bit. Maybe demand a bit of respect from a cage or sonya

Once they adjust though i'd strongly advise against it. Not only is it unsafe but its a waste of meter. Useful gimmick for people who haven't downloaded you yet however.

Laos_boy

Meow Hoes
I think of it as a gimmick
I use it though.
I posted a status about this Las month, I know some other kitana player do this too

xKhaoTik

What makes you emo about it?

I mean..... Ermac isn't emo about it. LOL ;)
Because its hella unsafe and it's a waste of meter :(

I swear Kitana is such a double-edged sword. Her unsafe options: if they hit, they are extremely rewarding (cutter, lift, f21, etc) but may God help you if they are blocked or if they whiff :(

Deyrax

Skarlet who ?
I really despise poke cancels. MK was so much better without them. I agree with Vagrant, way too risky, but maybe it is worth to do once.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
I agree with what Rev says,

I think if you don't abuse it D1 into ex lift can be effective in certain situations, specially against people that just keep hitting buttons, like cage players lol.

wonder how this would work against a kang

xKhaoTik

I agree with what Rev says,

I think if you don't abuse it D1 into ex lift can be effective in certain situations, specially against people that just keep hitting buttons, like cage players lol.

wonder how this would work against a kang
Well, if you did d1~ex lift against Kang, and he was trying to counterpoke with b3, Kang would get hit, but if he blocked it, have fun being juggled into the corner lol.

But yea, definitely isn't something to abuse.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Well, if you did d1~ex lift against Kang, and he was trying to counterpoke with b3, Kang would get hit, but if he blocked it, have fun being juggled into the corner lol.

But yea, definitely isn't something to abuse.
what happens if ExLift hits his parry? it should hit him right?

GGA Saucy Jack

The artist formerly known as ImNewbieSauce
D1 xx unsafe special is not a bad move at all. With certain characters ive programmed myself when i see D1, i know i can do what i want.

Kitana
Ermac
Sektor
Scorpion
Nightwolf

Just to name five. There are more. But sometimes when the situation calls for it, ill eat D1fan lift from kit or d1 lift from ermac.

Why?

Because ive broken down the match up so much its flowchart in my head. So when my opponent notices that EVERY D1 gets back 31twizzled on reaction, they catch me with YOLO D1 xx unsafe special.

Its read based, but absolutely worth it sometimes. Trust your instincts. Cage throwin knees in your gut on autopilot after every poke??? Then you have an easy way to win the match. D1 xx Xray dat fool (my personal favorite).

But seriously. ALL tactics are situationally viable. Dont RULE anything out in MK9. When you do...you've lost

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
D1 xx unsafe special is not a bad move at all. With certain characters ive programmed myself when i see D1, i know i can do what i want.

Kitana
Ermac
Sektor
Scorpion
Nightwolf

Just to name five. There are more. But sometimes when the situation calls for it, ill eat D1fan lift from kit or d1 lift from ermac.

Why?

Because ive broken down the match up so much its flowchart in my head. So when my opponent notices that EVERY D1 gets back 31twizzled on reaction, they catch me with YOLO D1 xx unsafe special.

Its read based, but absolutely worth it sometimes. Trust your instincts. Cage throwin knees in your gut on autopilot after every poke??? Then you have an easy way to win the match. D1 xx Xray dat fool (my personal favorite).

But seriously. ALL tactics are situationally viable. Dont RULE anything out in MK9. When you do...you've lost
liu kang f12 parry and kano airgrab like Dan's taunt to build meter l0l0l0l0l