What's new

Cyrax Official Character Trailer!

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
I didnt watch the show,but i just googled that shang scene and damn that was epic.The actor is doing a great job,nice menecing voice too.

I personally am fond of mksm shao kahn.Even though we see little of him, he just has this aura of a god emperor,and steve ritchie delivered one of the most magical voice acting preformances ever.
MKSM Shao is the best Shao.

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama

Fighting game character vs JCPenny Men's Fall Fashion catalogue

Cage's MK1 look is just bland & generic AF (which is a disservice to his good gameplay and the great performance given by his VA)
They actually managed to give him an even worse/more bland alternate if you can believe it:

YagamiFire

Dojo Trainee
I didnt watch the show,but i just googled that shang scene and damn that was epic.The actor is doing a great job,nice menecing voice too.
Craziest shit? It's the same actor as Raiden. Jeffrey Meek plays Shao and Raiden in the show. The show also has my favorite Raiden scene ever too in an episode where Kung-Lao (Great, not modern) agrees to a rematch with Shang Tsung to save his friends. Kung nearly loses and at the end Raiden goes off on Kung Lao

I had described it but I managed to find it

Could be a better vid but whatever. Just the idea that we see Raiden not as a useless goober constantly running to the Elder Gods or a happy-go-lucky mentor type but as a thunder god that knows he has to play the long game and that is concerned with billions of people is great. This is a guy you can imagine going full Dark Raiden if things get too dire for Earthrealm.

They actually managed to give him an even worse/more bland alternate if you can believe it:
It's unreal how bad it is.

"Random guy at the gym"

Compare to ANY of the alts in SF6 and it's night and day. It's legit embarrassing. Again, this is the sort of 'character design' that would have been laughed at in the 90's for being totally unimaginative and lame.

Last edited:

Vulgar

Dojo Trainee
Craziest shit? It's the same actor as Raiden. Jeffrey Meek plays Shao and Raiden in the show. The show also has my favorite Raiden scene ever too in an episode where Kung-Lao (Great, not modern) agrees to a rematch with Shang Tsung to safe his friends. Kung nearly loses and at the end Raiden goes off on Kung Lao

I had described it but I managed to find it

Could be a better vid but whatever. Just the idea that we see Raiden not as a useless goober constantly running to the Elder Gods or a happy-go-lucky mentor type but as a thunder god that knows he has to play the long game and that is concerned with billions of people is great. This is a guy you can imagine going full Dark Raiden if things get too dire for Earthrealm.

It's unreal how bad it is.

"Random guy at the gym"

Compare to ANY of the alts in SF6 and it's night and day. It's legit embarrassing. Again, this is the sort of 'character design' that would have been laughed at in the 90's for being totally unimaginative and lame.
The 90's sucked, tho.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I dunno I think some of y'all are bugging lol. I like the Johnny Cage "professional attire" outfit a lot. It perfectly suits a movie star who is full of himself who has a lot of money. And he's the only character who is dressed like that in the entire game, which again perfectly fits his character. Dude can't be walking around looking like Bloodsport every outfit because THAT is what would look out of character. Don't agree at all on this one.

Vulgar

Dojo Trainee
I dunno I think some of y'all are bugging lol. I like the Johnny Cage "professional attire" outfit a lot. It perfectly suits a movie star who is full of himself who has a lot of money. And he's the only character who is dressed like that in the entire game, which again perfectly fits his character. Dude can't be walking around looking like Bloodsport every outfit because THAT is what would look out of character. Don't agree at all on this one.
A correct take, common Saltshaker W.

PrinceGoro

Dojo Trainee
He had "professional attire" as costumes in past games as well,you might want to check them out, as they blow this one out of the water.mk1 one Is probably the worst rendition of his suit/tux costumes.

You bring up a seperate issues though,johnny cage as you say it looking out of place if he had his traditional main costume type.

Normally there should never be a case in a mortal kombat game that johnny having his standard outfit type with the chest tattoo,gold cage belt,blue track pants etc looks out of place.And thats because they changed the univers and the tone of the game so much,its like a marvel super hero movie,with this strange draw to realism and realms essentially being places on earth instead on interdeminsional places of their own.

Johhnys DA/armageddon default is peak johnny,a skin like that with modern graphics would easily be his greatest look ever.The only thing i would change on it is instead of the lion head belt,id have it be the cage belt.

Its just got all the elements right,the glasses the hair,him being jacked out of this world,the hand wraps etc. Fitting to what johnny cage is,or well used to be as they made him into a bit of class clown too much.

And look at the alt they gave him in mk1,the uol skin,lol its pathetic in both asthetics and desing elements,it looks so terrible and bland with also convaying zero personality that a charcater like johnny should represent.

Last edited:

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Its honestly shocking that so many people don't like Johnny's MK1 design, I also think its probably the best yet. All of his skins in this game are good, imo - which is not true of basically everyone else on the cast, and the Nick Cage-esq struggling A-lister that breaks the 4th wall is way better than "Oh yeah Johnny descended from some random bloodline of super heroes." This isn't even some gender/race swap, some people just hate ANY change, even if for the better. Not counting any rendition of military Johnny, I think every game has iteratively improved upon Johnny's design.

How could you say this:

Looks better than this - fur coat with a dragon on the back, chains wrapped around his hands (and hand wraps), kung fu style shirt, even more douchey hair style - definitely no personality conveyed, so much "realism" :rolleyes:. Default is just as good, if not better.

Vulgar

Dojo Trainee
Its honestly shocking that so many people don't like Johnny's MK1 design, I also think its probably the best yet. All of his skins in this game are good, imo - which is not true of basically everyone else on the cast, and the Nick Cage-esq struggling A-lister that breaks the 4th wall is way better than "Oh yeah Johnny descended from some random bloodline of super heroes." This isn't even some gender/race swap, some people just hate ANY change, even if for the better. Not counting any rendition of military Johnny, I think every game has iteratively improved upon Johnny's design.

How could you say this:

View attachment 21900

Looks better than this - fur coat with a dragon on the back, chains wrapped around his hands (and hand wraps), kung fu style shirt, even more douchey hair style - definitely no personality conveyed, so much "realism" :rolleyes:. Default is just as good, if not better.

View attachment 21899
Another W take.

You have to remember, half these guys sucking off the old games don't even play this one and likely haven't played the old ones in decades.

They're phonies that just want something to be mad at.

Juxtapose

Warrior
Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

My own personal take: I think the majority of the characters "New Era" skins are excellent, this includes Johnny. As someone who works in television production, it's spot on for an actor to look like that when just going about the office, or to functions, and such. In Story Mode, that's when we typically see him in this skin, so it all fits.

For Cyrax, the gender swap doesn't bother me. I'm less keen on suit of armour over cyborg, but I'll give it a chance. Being a new timeline where things are going to change (we were told this pre-release), I'm not put off by it even if it isn't my cup of tea.

While I have very fond nostalgia of the 90's BMX racer Yautja look for the cyber ninjas, there's no question that this new armour looks "better."

Still not a fan of mutliverse stuff. I don't mind the concept of the New Era (though I felt a reboot wasn't needed at this point), I thought it was cool Shang's timeline was a thing and that both "Aftermath" endings are canon, but not down with additional multiverse stuff.

I also noticed the pre-order cost for the expansion has gone up by $3.00 CA, which blows. $69.99 + Tax CA is very steep for an expansion set.

Last edited:

wsj515

Still not a fan of mutliverse stuff. I don't mind the concept of the New Era (though I felt a reboot wasn't needed at this point), I thought it was cool Shang's timeline was a thing and that both "Aftermath" endings are canon, but not down with additional multiverse stuff.
I hate the multiverse stuff, but what I don't understand is ppl saying the story used to be better. Really?? If you are honest with yourself, it has always been garbage - not to say that it isn't ok to still enjoy it for what it is. I think deep down we all just like it because ninjas with powers fighting robots and other magical beings are cool and just dumb campy fun.

General vibes, overall design including characters, sounds, music, etc., and gameplay have always truly been MK's strong points, not the story. The story has just been relatively better than any other FG, but that's a super low bar that was cleared with pretty basic time investment, and is really just a vehicle for casuals to consume the above strong points.

PrinceGoro

Dojo Trainee

How could you say this:

View attachment 21900

View attachment 21899
The only thing thats better is graphical fidelity.

Also i compared the UOL skin to the DA one,not the coat one,and while we are at the coat one its pretty trash too,with the joker wannabee hairstyle lol.

Last edited:

Juxtapose

Warrior
I hate the multiverse stuff, but what I don't understand is ppl saying the story used to be better. Really?? If you are honest with yourself, it has always been garbage - not to say that it isn't ok to still enjoy it for what it is. I think deep down we all just like it because ninjas with powers fighting robots and other magical beings are cool and just dumb campy fun.

General vibes, overall design including characters, sounds, music, etc., and gameplay have always truly been MK's strong points, not the story. The story has just been relatively better than any other FG, but that's a super low bar that was cleared with pretty basic time investment, and is really just a vehicle for casuals to consume the above strong points.
The story of the original trilogy was good for it's time and for the story telling ability of the medium. It was pretty basic, told through text screens, 2 official comics, and generally let people fill in a lot of the blanks with their own imagination. It was, however, always super campy and cheesy. Look at the 1995 movie, for example.

The 3D era story (and everything to do with that era) is where I see the rose coloured glasses used the most and to gross excess. It obviously had a more developed narrative and Vogel was consistent in his story telling through the 3 games (including a darker tone for the time), but the development of existing characters was okay at best, and oft bad. All the new characters except for Kenshi are bad. The stories themselves also, bad. If any era of Mortal Kombat should be "erased from history" this is it.

Mortal Kombat (2011) brought the franchise back into form, and it was a super campy modern take on the original trilogy that hasn't aged well. Was a great nostalgia trip for its time.

The only thing thats better is graphical fidelity.
Cage is animated quite well in this game, from his moves to his intro to his win poses. In general, MK1’s animations are a big improvement I thought. If you compare MKX Mileena Gameplay to MK1 Mileena gameplay, MKX animates like shit lol. It’s so jerky, and stuttery! A lot of old anime fighters and kof games are that fast but still animate gorgeously

PrinceGoro

Dojo Trainee
Nice of you to mention these key points.

Excluding gameplay(as it a seperate disscucion)NRS flopped on every single one,with charcater desing being some hit some miss.So even if we agree that the story is an afterthough and just a vessle to enjoy thise key points,the end result is all of those key points have been ruined.

Musis sucks ass,and has for over a decade,aboslutly unispired generic movie music,contrast it to other fgs who stayed true to their identity and have absolute bangers fitting the setting as well as offering the jukebox mode for maximum enjoyment.

Character voices and grunts suck,play the older games mksm 3d era,whatever floats your boat,listen to the chracter voices and then compare to mk1.Lets take scorpion for example listen to how he sounds in mksm and then listen to the absolutly horrific pussified voice he has here in mk1

If i could upload a video to the site without youtube id show you a mod i made of mksm scorpion voice i use in mk1,the differnece in the feeling and enjoyment is unmesureble.

Ambiance and overall wolrd as well as charcter desings and the mk feeling is of the charts in older games,Nrs mkx-mk1 is bland super hero movie bs,with awfull chsnges to visuals of the realms,for example outowlrd.

They are actively moving away from what makes mk actually mk and just making it a generic super hero story,all thats left is the gore and fatalities.

PrinceGoro

Dojo Trainee
Cage is animated quite well in this game, from his moves to his intro to his win poses. In general, MK1’s animations are a big improvement I thought. If you compare MKX Mileena Gameplay to MK1 Mileena gameplay, MKX animates like shit lol. It’s so jerky, and stuttery! A lot of old anime fighters and kof games are that fast but still animate gorgeously
Sure animations as well,though i was not thinking about that as we were talking about visual fidelty and the desing of a skin/costume.

They are actively moving away from what makes mk actually mk and just making it a generic super hero story,all thats left is the gore and fatalities.
I think you are absolutely Korrect. But there are aspects like I love the overall Orientalism as an aesthetic choice in MK1, I appreciated it more after reading this interview of the sound designer: https://thekoalition.com/2023/the-music-behind-mortal-kombat-1-an-interview-with-wilbert-roget-ii

But you are absolutely right they make it hard to love a redesign if they throw a wakanda voice on her or recasting Tanya as a black panther. It appears like NRS is chasing trends

wsj515

Nice of you to mention these key points.

Excluding gameplay(as it a seperate disscucion)NRS flopped on every single one,with charcater desing being some hit some miss.So even if we agree that the story is an afterthough and just a vessle to enjoy thise key points,the end result is all of those key points have been ruined.

Musis sucks ass,and has for over a decade,aboslutly unispired generic movie music,contrast it to other fgs who stayed true to their identity and have absolute bangers fitting the setting as well as offering the jukebox mode for maximum enjoyment.

Character voices and grunts suck,play the older games mksm 3d era,whatever floats your boat,listen to the chracter voices and then compare to mk1.Lets take scorpion for example listen to how he sounds in mksm and then listen to the absolutly horrific pussified voice he has here in mk1

If i could upload a video to the site without youtube id show you a mod i made of mksm scorpion voice i use in mk1,the differnece in the feeling and enjoyment is unmesureble.

Ambiance and overall wolrd as well as charcter desings and the mk feeling is of the charts in older games,Nrs mkx-mk1 is bland super hero movie bs,with awfull chsnges to visuals of the realms,for example outowlrd.

That's just like uh, your opinion, man - one that I just completely disagree with overall. There's a lot to complain about with MK1 like lacking basic features etc. but music, stage, sound design, and character design are all good - though we all know about your crazy takes lake like Edenian = being white lmao.

Saying MK1 scorp has a "pussified voice" is just unhinged.

wsj515

But you are absolutely right they make it hard to love a redesign if they throw a wakanda voice on her or recasting Tanya as a black panther.
I can see how people get to Cyrax having "Wakanda voice" but calling Tanya a "black panther" might actually be just straight up racist lmao

PrinceGoro

Dojo Trainee
That's just like uh, your opinion, man - one that I just completely disagree with overall. There's a lot to complain about with MK1 like lacking basic features etc. but music, stage, sound design, and character design are all good - though we all know about your crazy takes lake like Edenian = being white lmao.

Saying MK1 scorp has a "pussified voice" is just unhinged.
Thats just like uh, your opinion, majority of people will disagree with you, especially when it comes to music,its one of the biggest complaints.

Wow, you are really going to be this pathetic and make stuff up...

I never said edenia = white lol, rain was white for like 30 years and has been race swapped to and indian.And i said i was against dumbass race swaps like that for the sake of some imaginary DEI quota.

If you got edenia = all must be white from that, then you got bigger issues other then poor taste in music...