What's new

Cyrax Official Character Trailer!

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Seems like all the characters in the new era are somehow destined to meet the same fate as they did in the old era. I wonder if our new wakandan friend is going to get dehumanized
I was thinking about that the other day. It'd be cool if there was no direct character causing these changes to Liu's timeline. Just like weird Final Destination coincidences that revert characters back to their old timeline selves. Like how Baraka and Mileena got mysterious diseases, what if Cyrax and Sektor become horribly wounded and need cybernetics to survive.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
The OG versions were just dudes in BMX pads with different palette swaps.

I'd absolutely choose these over that. Are you kidding?
I'd be willing to bet any amount of money that 9.9 out of 10 actual MK fans would choose the MK3 versions over whatever these new ones are supposed to be. The fact that you think I'm kidding leads me to believe you might be a newer fan, which is fine.

The gameplay looks awesome. Their look is absurd. I think it would have been better received if they just gave them different names aside from Cyrax and Sektor.

rifraf

Dojo Trainee
yep, but if they're really looking for that autencity, might as well, grab someone nactive who will have the accent and the imperfect english and look far more genuine
The more I think of it the more I believe her accent is a mistake because it sticks out way too much compared to everyone else. In MK1 we have asian looking people, African, caucasian, aliens, demons, etc. and they all speak perfect English. Well, except Cyrax :confused::laughing:

Vulgar

Dojo Trainee
I'd be willing to bet any amount of money that 9.9 out of 10 actual MK fans would choose the MK3 versions over whatever these new ones are supposed to be. The fact that you think I'm kidding leads me to believe you might be a newer fan, which is fine.

The gameplay looks awesome. Their look is absurd. I think it would have been better received if they just gave them different names aside from Cyrax and Sektor.
I'm not a real fan because I think the live action models look old and dated and think that the new versions are an improvement?

Okay, cop. Sorry for breaking the fandom laws, officer.

Vulgar

Dojo Trainee
expand...
Sure. Very rarely do fighting games accurately depict what characters from different regions around the world actually look and speak like. Unless you think your average citizen of India looks like Dahlsim.

Cyrax, while obviously using a very stock version of what an American might think a native African might sound like, is about on par with anything you'd see in Street Fighter, for example.

It's not that deep.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Sure. Very rarely do fighting games accurately depict what characters from different regions around the world actually look and speak like. Unless you think your average citizen of India looks like Dahlsim.

Cyrax, while obviously using a very stock version of what an American might think a native African might sound like, is about on par with anything you'd see in Street Fighter, for example.

It's not that deep.
Is there anything wrong with a character having an African accent? Of course not. But you have to admit, that it is a bit goofy when characters from multiple countries, races, worlds, timelines and dimensions all speak exactly the same. Yet the one African has this ultra thick, stereotypical accent.

Dude Reptile doesn't even do the thing where he holds his S's anymore.

You know the one character who does have an accent? Kano. And its because being Australian is his personality. This precedence kinda shows you what they're doing with Cyrax.

When this motherfucker speaks clearer English than an African girl, you know some bullshittery is afoot.

Vulgar

Dojo Trainee
Is there anything wrong with a character having an African accent? Of course not. But you have to admit, that it is a bit goofy when characters from multiple countries, races, worlds, timelines and dimensions all speak exactly the same. Yet the one African has this ultra thick, stereotypical accent.

You know the one character who does have an accent? Kano. And its because being Australian is his personality. This precedence kinda shows you what they're doing with Cyrax.

When this motherfucker speaks clearer English than an African girl, you know some bullshittery is afoot.
View attachment 21871
I don't really agree with this. The VA for Reptile is clearly going for a serpentine-esque tone in his voice. Not going to far as to drag the S in words(likely because that would get really obnoxious), but you can tell what he's going for.

Also, I don't really agree that being Australian is his personality, unless all Australians are unwashed, foul-mouthed, pee-in-public, conniving, mercenary crime lords. It's just an additional flavor on top of everything else.

To reiterate: What we've seen of Cyrax so far is no more or less egregious than anything SF has ever done. Unless, of course, we think that Blanka is an accurate representation of Brazil.

rifraf

Dojo Trainee

View attachment 21871
Very well said. I don't want to blow this out of proportion because ultimately I don't think it's a massive issue but I do think it's a bad creative choice from NRS. Why is it a bad choice? Because it's immersion breaking. It makes the audience stop and ask themselves why this character sound so different compared to everyone else when in fact there's such a wild diversity of characters.

It's also so stereotypical that it's borderline.... you know what. When you see it in context it's bad.

LEGEND

YES!
The Sektor design talk has made me realize that I never cared about the specifics of Sektor's costume much. I love the character to death but that has more to do with his in-game animations and style than anything.

Give me some of the moves like MK9 B1, B21, F2, B3, U3->4 or the MK3 throw and I'll be happy.

If they end up being jetpack centric with no teleport uppercut or visceral moves my disappointment will be immeasurable.

rifraf

Dojo Trainee
The Sektor design talk has made me realize that I never cared about the specifics of Sektor's costume much. I love the character to death but that has more to do with his in-game animations and style than anything.

Give me some of the moves like MK9 B1, B21, F2, B3, U3->4 or the MK3 throw and I'll be happy.

If they end up being jetpack centric with no teleport uppercut or visceral moves my disappointment will be immeasurable.
I need that b1 to carry me :D

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist

It's not that deep.
yeah, you guys still think we text from wifis on a tree while hiding from random lions and crocodiles that show up out of nowhere unexplained, that's why africans are always designed they way they're designed