What's new

Customize folks with gear and lootcrates? NRS has a base tourney mode for us confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Another question:
Assuming ESL is a thing in Injustice 2, what about gear sets then?

Also I'm all for including them. It would help a lot if weaker characters early on can even the odds by using a gear to help cover their big weaknesses

(Think vanilla bane if he could boost his dashing speed)

Likewise it would add some spice to the lab and the tourney scene. Imagine the hype as a top player throws on what looks like an unconventional gear, but it turns out to be awesome in a unique and different way.

Also anyone else worried they might be ditching traits for gear? Press 4 to activate and so on

trufenix

bye felicia
We gimmicked the WB ID to unlock gear locally in Injustice one though. Folks would make an ID, get costumes on mobile, post the ID to login to and folks would walk away with outfits. If it was FULLY tied to access an ID before loading each time it'd work but if it was a log in once to unlock things as permanent selectables we'd just gimmick that away fast.
Cheaters going to cheat. Gimping all of us to make it a little harder on people who will just look for the next way to skirt the system is an insult to your customers.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Hmm...I hadn't considered that 4 could become a "GEAR" button and replace the Trait activation button. Lots of possibilities here. I gotta say tons of folks play smash with items and custom movesets at home. There are a ton of smashers at tourney for sure but there are FAR MORE CASUALS.

The fighting game genre has been looking for awhile to find a way to increase casual player retention. You can only do season packs of new cast and stuff for so long before the amount of money you make supporting one title isn't as good as what you'd make by doing a sequel considering what it costs to make a character. However, if gear updates can HOOK casuals the way it did for player retention in Splatoon in a fighting game it'd be an entirely new business model. Plus you could run seasons with different gear variations in the standard mode if you wanted to mix it up for tourney folks to keep entry numbers fresh. Sort of like how there was SFIV arcade edition then the 2012 thing. Plus imagine if they had a SFIV Ultra mode for that? Pick the 2017 loadout variation for your character vs the 2018 loadout version of your character in a tourney match. TONS of potential here.

NRS is gonna have a lot of eyes on them going forward with this experiment because if they succeed in making a business model that can easily update with gear on the cheap to retain high casual retention and that could potentially update its meta with gear standards swapping seasonally to keep it going at tournaments without its scene dropping in a few years then it'll be big for improving profits and for fighting games becoming more sustainable. I know that Seth Killian's Rising Thunder team was bought by League of Legends folks so I'm betting they'd be looking HARD at what NRS achieves here because they were custom loadouts and LoL is all about gear.

d3v

SRK
The problem isn't just the fact that there could be broken gear combinations. Rather, it's a bigger issue, one that SFxTekken also had that Keits talks about in this article (when he was still my boss at SRK, before he moved to IG).

In a perfect world, a fighting game would be ready for tournament play right out of the box. Various companies like to force us to unlock characters and stages, and others even force us to buy DLC characters for each tournament setup to ensure that each player has the same options. Marvel vs Capcom 3 forces us to buy Jill and Shuma and play for a few hours to unlock Akuma, Sentinel, Hsien-Ko, and Taskmaster. BlazBlue Continuum Shift requires us to buy three DLC characters. While this sucks, it remains plainly obvious what a tournament director should do: buy the DLC on each copy of the game so that people can make the selections they want to make. This is inconvenient, but simple.

The issue of gem availability should be a lot more clear now. Sure, I can use my gems and FictionalJames can use his when we play each-other online, but when James comes over to my house, he can only use my gems. When I visit him, I can only use his. When the two of us visit a local tournament, which selection of gems will be available on any given tournament station?

If tournament directors decide to allow gems, they will need to make sure that every console has every gem unlocked. Making a decision to only allow certain gems becomes a slippery slope in which one person’s judgement overrules another’s, so, as far as I’m concerned, this is not an option. Only by allowing either all or no gems can a fair decision be made. Without the ability to turn gems off, tournament directors lose this option. Consequently, deciding to disallow gems forces the tournament audience to play the game in a way which was not intended. If the game needs this kind of alteration in order to be enjoyed by tournament players, wouldn’t the best solution be to just walk away and play a better game?

shaowebb

Ya know...considering that "game of the year editions" are expected after folks announce a couple of seasons of new characters and it often hurts folks buying a game at launch I could see switching to a model where you make new gear and release it as more appealing to the market. Plus if you did that update idea where once every other year or so you add different gear loadouts to the standard mode for tourney players it'd completely shake up the tourney meta and breath new attention there. Heck more so than the SFIV updates potentially.

This gear idea might be a method of combating "ill wait for the game of the year edition" folks when it comes to NRS titles.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
its defintely too early to say this is a bad or great idea, and i think just being ready to ban it straight up isnt a great idea either (unless theres no way to reasonably regulate it). it would be a huge missed opportunity if this gear system thats apparently their new big feature wasnt available online or in tournaments. NRS has thought of it im sure plus Joshua Gray the ESL guy had the 2 as his twitter avy and has the I2 logo now, so if ESL is planning to have it there has to be some way this works for tournaments, dont freak out yet :)

d3v

SRK
NRS is gonna have a lot of eyes on them going forward with this experiment because if they succeed in making a business model that can easily update with gear on the cheap to retain high casual retention and that could potentially update its meta with gear standards swapping seasonally to keep it going at tournaments without its scene dropping in a few years then it'll be big for improving profits and for fighting games becoming more sustainable. I know that Seth Killian's Rising Thunder team was bought by League of Legends folks so I'm betting they'd be looking HARD at what NRS achieves here because they were custom loadouts and LoL is all about gear.
I'm pretty sure Seth would never allow any sort of level based unlocking in any fighting game he's working on.

shaowebb

What if Injustice has Leagues, like something like Clash of Clans ya know, after certain amount of Gear you fight in that league so you don't get that mean platano ya feel me?
Oh man, now THAT would be really exciting for keeping online going. Every time you accumulate so much stuff you go up a league and the meta is different there.

Fred Marvel

actually after rewatching the trailer im pretty certain that the gear is a mid match thing and not something that you start the fight with since EVERYONE in the trailer starts off in a vanilla costume and Batman does it twice so there is more than just one per fight

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
Maybe the gear is improved netcode? Start out with 500ms ping and work your way down to something semi playable. This loot shart is wank, any way ye want to spin it to kid yourselves. TYM Stockholm Syndrome.

Learn from history fellas, this did not work at all in SFxT. 50/50 my skull.

shaowebb

actually after rewatching the trailer im pretty certain that the gear is a mid match thing and not something that you start the fight with since EVERYONE in the trailer starts off in a vanilla costume and Batman does it twice so there is more than just one per fight
Wait you mean like as a replacement for Clashes? Granted clashes were pointless but does it feel like all this was just about a comeback mechanic?

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Another thing is how do we construct tiers when we factor in gears?

Also the answer to the gem issue is simple:
limit things to stock gems. If the engine lets you slot gems rather than having presets, then it should be a simple ordeal and sets up w precedent for players to practice with

Fred Marvel

Wait you mean like as a replacement for Clashes? Granted clashes were pointless but does it feel like all this was just about a comeback mechanic?
more as a replacement for character trait's but there are multiple options, or maybe conditions that have to be met prior to using

Percimon

Sky above, Voice within
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/injustice-2-dc-comics-coo-ed-boon-reveal-game-secrets-20160608?page=2

Most important:
Every character in Injustice 2 will have "a vast, vast array of what we're calling gear" – costume pieces and equipment that are used to upgrade your abilities – according to Boon. The superhero you start controlling at the beginning of the game won't have the same skills as the one you end with. Players will determine whether they want more speed, more health, more strength, and the like. "There are thousands and thousands of pieces for, let's say, the Flash," he says. "You are in the constant process of making your version of the Flash."

shaowebb

Maybe... and follow me on this one, it's not meant to be for the competitive players.

*BOOM*
The title is likely for everyone. Its doubtful its meant as a casual only title given how closely they follow and support the FGC players. The majority of custom stuff and loot unlocking though I fully expect to be for casual only play though.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
The title is likely for everyone. Its doubtful its meant as a casual only title given how closely they follow and support the FGC players. The majority of custom stuff and loot unlocking though I fully expect to be for casual only play though.
I'm sure they will try to find a way for tournaments to work, but hell this forum sometimes forgets that not all games are for us entirely.

Fred Marvel

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/injustice-2-dc-comics-coo-ed-boon-reveal-game-secrets-20160608?page=2

Most important:
Every character in Injustice 2 will have "a vast, vast array of what we're calling gear" – costume pieces and equipment that are used to upgrade your abilities – according to Boon. The superhero you start controlling at the beginning of the game won't have the same skills as the one you end with. Players will determine whether they want more speed, more health, more strength, and the like. "There are thousands and thousands of pieces for, let's say, the Flash," he says. "You are in the constant process of making your version of the Flash."
so it is something you dont start the match with :)

Status
Not open for further replies.