What's new

Customize folks with gear and lootcrates? NRS has a base tourney mode for us confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
-Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and DC Entertainment today announced Injustice 2, the super-powered sequel to the hit game Injustice: Gods Among Us. The newest game in development from the award-winning NetherRealm Studios features a massive roster of DC Super Heroes and Super-Villains and allows players to build and power up the ultimate version of their favorite DC characters. Injustice 2 will be available for the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system and Xbox One in 2017.

-Injustice 2 offers the latest DC fighting game experience that expands on the previous title’s larger-than-life showdowns. Every battle defines you in a game where players personalize iconic DC characters with unique and powerful gear earned throughout the game. For the first time gamers can take control of how their characters look, fight and develop across a variety of game modes.

-The game boasts the biggest DC roster ever in a fighting game, including Batman, Superman, Supergirl, Aquaman, Atrocitus and Gorilla Grodd. Battles will be states in large iconic arenas including Metropolis, Gotham City and Atlantis.

But we didn’t want to stop there. At NetherRealm, we always want to make games that are fun, challenging and innovative. We strive to give players a level of control that makes playing our games a truly personal experience. For that reason, we have introduced a brand new Gear System, allowing players to build their own version of Superman, their Batman and ultimately, their Injustice Universe.

The Gear System uses RPG-like mechanics to reward you with loot drops every time you play the game. With each loot drop, you will earn character-specific gear to outfit and power up your roster – changing not only the look of each character, but your fight strategy and your personal approach to every match. As you gear up your characters, you’re building a roster of DC Super Heroes and Super-Villains that reflects your choices, and your preferences, which can be vastly different than your opponents. A few play sessions in, you can expect your Aquaman to look and play different than anyone else’s Aquaman you may come across.

Please brainstorm how this might be getting handled objectively without throwing it under the bus and demonizing it because its a really fun single player thing that'd be great if it could fairly come across for tourney somehow. Lord knows Heroes and Heralds mode was incredibly fun.

I am super excited for the stuff mentioned in the announcement. For a single player mode thing lootcrates are addictive and if this is anything like Heroes and Heralds mode, SFxT or Rising Thunder it means there will be just ridiculous amounts of fun here.

However, like Heroes and Heralds and SFxT gems this doesn't make sense for the FGC and tournaments. How do you setup a venue with multiple console setups in such a way that everyone could have their tools for their character at tournament if the tools are lootcrate based?

Please discuss here thoughts on this and how they might get it to work so that the tournies can run smoothly for the game and so it doesn't turn into the haves and have nots on ranked battle or in particular online modes. Do you feel certain modes only should use this? Do you think we'll have some customization but not all for tourney stuff to avoid game breaking stuff or making scenarios where a venue doesnt' have your gear?

****DISCLAIMER****
NRS is incredibly tight with its FGC tourney folks so I highly doubt they'd throw tournies under the bus or players online with a gem system sort of incident. I just want to hear more about this system and how the game plays before I voice an opinion either way.

shaowebb

Maybe the loot/building up stuff is for online only. Offline mode could just have everything available.
I thought about that, but why grind then? Maybe if its like Marvel Puzzle Quest and by playing online and receiving duplicates of a gear you can level it up and unlock more powerful stats for that gear or new abilities for it?

That could work. It'd mean they could save broken tier stuff and that level of customization and "let it rock" stuff for online modes but leave single player offline tournaments whole and safe.

Its a hard concept to nail down. We could really use a gameplay breakdown in the near future to assuage worries because I really did love getting new stuff in HH mode and played the hell out of it. So much customization was incredibly fun and addicting so I'd really like to stop worrying and get excited to grind it out for gear in other modes between grinding my stuff for locals.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
Why don't we wait for the actual game to drop out? I'd worry more about the balance of the default versions of the characters, since, most likely, they're gonna be tournament standard if the customization isn't tournament compatible.

trufenix

bye felicia
Why don't we wait for the actual game to drop out? I'd worry more about the balance of the default versions of the characters, since, most likely, they're gonna be tournament standard if the customization isn't tournament compatible.
it's "funner" to assume the worst about the guys who've been working their hardest to be friends with us for the last 10 years.

shaowebb

Maybe folks will still have variations in the main game used for tourney but the "variations" are several standard gear loudouts that change their movesets? This would be a really quick and easy way to set things up for tournament. Plus if they needed to buff or patch a character they could just change the loadout for them in a patch to different gear.

If this was the case it'd work super easy. Plus you could run really crazy side tourney casuals on stream and such showcasing other loadouts. Imagine the fan begging for patch changing then lol. They'd be begging for certain gear all the time.

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
Characters won't be starting out naked. As the trailer showed, every character has a base costume - this base can be the tournament standard.

Or you could have variations but I hope they don't go down that route again.

Last edited:

PizzaMasta

Hellblazer
My guess it that ranked and tournaments will have vanilla characters with no gameplay modifications whatsoever, but you can still show off your sweet gear for aesthetics. That way you still have an incentive to grind no matter your gameplay preferences, and competitive players are still happy. They can always include another geared up online mode for people who don't mind the 1000+ variables and just want to have some fun, that should be popular as long as no gear is totally OP.

shaowebb

My guess it that ranked and tournaments will have vanilla characters with no gameplay modifications whatsoever, but you can still show off your sweet gear for aesthetics. That way you still have an incentive to grind no matter your gameplay preferences, and competitive players are still happy. They can always include another geared up online mode for people who don't mind the 1000+ variables and just want to have some fun, that should be popular as long as no gear is totally OP.
Id like it if I could still wear gear I got without it affecting gameplay in some modes. I wouldn't likely have that outfit at a tourney venue to use obviously, but say there is a "looks only" tourney style online mode I'd be playing that a lot and grinding vs folks online to get better at the main game. It'd be nice to wear my stuff in there like if for instance I unlocked Red Lantern armor for Supergirl.

Lokheit

Noob
I think it will be like the "pay to unlock the whole krypt" thing so tournament organizers would be able to unlock everything instantly.

Another alternative could be "WBID unlocks" so every player should log in with their account at tournament to access the gear.

portent

Noob
Gonna be simple. Obviously gear is this game's version of variations and costume DLC. The tournaments will either go no gear, or specific gear sets (presets) only.

Think about it, there are generally 4 types of character archetype
Rushdown
Zoning
Grappler
Hybrid

Gear sets could be used to change a character's play style from one archetype to another, or make them a hybrid.

Alternately, there are typical types of gear in games that enhance characters instead of changing how they play.
Power up
Defense up
Poison/Electric "DoT"
Special Dampening (poison, electric, etc)
Cooldown reduction

Lastly, I can also see FG specific types of gear:
Quick Meter build
Meter drain
Special enhancing

This could all lead to tons of broken crap for tournaments and headaches all around. I hope that tournaments do exactly what I said above, go with no gear, or specific pre-set gear sets.

shaowebb

I think it will be like the "pay to unlock the whole krypt" thing so tournament organizers would be able to unlock everything instantly.
Thats a possibility. I wonder if they were intending to do continuing content in the form of gear updates though to keep casuals hooked sort of like how Splatoon managed to keep folks addicted with gear? If thats what its for they probably couldn't do that.

Man...if they manage to make this work and its got the Splatoon numbers for keeping people playing with continuing content in the form of Gear addiction this could be a big thing.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Way too early to even be asking these kinds of questions considering we DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW IT WORKS YET. All we know is that we have Gear we can use to do change our characters in some way, any conclusions drawn from that as of yet are pure assumption. At least wait for a breakdown of the mechanic first...

trufenix

bye felicia

Another alternative could be "WBID unlocks" so every player should log in with their account at tournament to access the gear.
It should absolutely be tied to WBID, then it would be portable and it would save a ton of grief for offline players.

shaowebb

It should absolutely be tied to WBID, then it would be portable and it would save a ton of grief for offline players.
We gimmicked the WB ID to unlock gear locally in Injustice one though. Folks would make an ID, get costumes on mobile, post the ID to login to and folks would walk away with outfits. If it was FULLY tied to access an ID before loading each time it'd work but if it was a log in once to unlock things as permanent selectables we'd just gimmick that away fast.

Its a good concept though for how to make these portable. It doesn't solve the question of how folks can play and prepare in the lab to face various stuff. Maybe a "test mode" thats the new lab that has everything so you can train with or versus it but not actually have it yet? Splatoon lets you do that with weapons you dont own yet.

Good discussion in here BTW folks. Thanks for not throwing this idea away or demonizing it. We dont know how it works yet and this is all healthy talk thats pretty exciting. If some of the stuff mentioned in here is true this could be reaaaaaaaaaaally good and it'd have both hardcore FGC and Casuals all over this game for a long while.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
If there isn't an insane amount of gear then any inappropriate or broken stuff could just be banned. This would stop the whole concept going to waste as if we're forced to choose between presets that aren't even made by us then what's the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.