What's new

Current EVO Numbers For MKXL Release, Any Thoughts?

Error404

Noob
The game has been going down hill in views and tournament numbers ever since XL dropped. And since KI went to pc and SFV came out of people just move to either of them.

Imo ESL is the main reason why mkx does not have closer to at least 500 pre regs currently. Evo is the world's championships, an international Competition. Now that we have ESL available to us both in the US as well as Europe I think it will replace evo as the world championship for NRS games.

Lets look at the "pros" comparing ESL to evo in ESLs favor:
-free to compete
-convenient, no travel or travel costs required
-due to new netcode, generally the gameplay is similar enough to offline for most players to be happy with it.
-if you consistently place high you get a free trip to California to compete against the best of the best from NA/Europe for a larger pot then you could win at Evo
-great production values and support from NRS

Now tell me why competitive players with harsh time constraints and tight budgets (which lbsh, is most people) would pay to fly to Vegas, book a hotel in Vegas for several days, pay for evo registration, etc... when they have ESL available to them?

I understand it is the traditional world championship of fighting games but with ESL as an option far fewer players who are on the fence about going to evo are likely to do so. The other games with the large pre register numbers do not have ESL so EVO is still THE event for players of those games.

That's is why I think we are seeing these low numbers
This pretty much sums up my thoughts.
but the thing is ESL is over. You think there will be ESL_mk will run once ESL_ij2 is out? Nup.

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
Block button, brain dead mechanics, over patched, terrible net code are just some reasons I've heard from the FGC.

MK just doesn't have the appeal in FGC like other games do for whatever reason. It's more popular with the casual crowd.

shura30

Shura
same reason as always.. NRS do not allow the games times to grow. MKx is only a year old and they are affectively killing it by releasing injustice2 and stopping patching on MKx.

yeah, you nailed it, this and a few other problems such as stagnant tournament results

the problem might be the playerbase switching from one game to the other as soon as it's announced.
capcom fighting games have wider and almost entirely separate playerbases between each franchise

sadly this doesn't make sense tho
they released kp2 and gave life back with improved netcode..while I understand there's other kind of pressure behind it (wb and this capeshit trend) it's stupid dropping mkx after all the money they did push through the last months and the patching which, considering the netcode addon, something no one believed was even remotely possible, resurrected the game when it would really have died

other games are played for years at majors, we don't have time to learn and adjust and explore the game the next one is inbound
basically the fastest and more dedicated individuals sweep in and collect all the prizes then move to the next game, rinse and repeat

haketh

Noob
This should be a status update but I need more characters:

It's hilarious seeing every non NRS player on twitter rationalize this with "over-patching." Please, stop. You want day 1 Raiden to be given 6 extra months just for the sake of avoiding "over-patching?"

It's been 3 games already. The cycle is the same. And we all know what's really up.
It's a combination of the two, characters being ridic & things get to g patched so fast. Yes the patching needs to happen but that's not a good look.

Also I really doubt ESL is a big reason for the large drop off, a part of it but not a big one. Maybe people just don't like it at a competitive level which makes me sad because I really enjoy it.

coolwhip

Noob
It's not so much a lot of patching as people getting tired of the bullshit. Esl is definitely a factor too
But which one is it?

On one hand, you have so many people complaining about broke stuff (mainly those who play the game), and you have those who claim they stopped playing it because of the patching.

Aren't these two directly contradictory? If you don't patch, there will be more broke stuff, and literally nobody wants that.

Anyway, what really bothers me is the bullshit narratives going on on twitter right now being spread by Capcom guys like gospel. Most recent one is NRS games are broke because testers are tournament players so they won't say that a character is broke in hopes of using said character in tournament. That's what Capcom heads with large following and influences are saying.

This also ignores that the main testers aren't allowed to compete. But whatever man, UltraDavid knows what's up.

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
I mean anyone who's played NRS games now since 2011 the answers are kinda obvious at this point. DLC characters and their respective balancing, patching is a complaint but not the main reason.

Fucking over PC gamers and the new netcode not coming out until a year into the game's lifespan IMO would be the biggest complaints and what really nailed the game in player count over time. While I do think it's best if games didn't patch every single month (NRS has to do this with only two years to work on a game) not having a good/great netcode at launch was killer. Gotta convert casuals into tournament players if people want numbers to grow.

Though ESL > EVO when it comes to representation for NRS titles, not to mention free entry. So there's a lot of reasons but the main ones are already surmised and it's nothing new honestly for these titles with the exception that this time, the drop off was extremely huge compared to past titles.

Last edited:

haketh

Noob
Anyway, what really bothers me is the bullshit narratives going on on twitter right now being spread by Capcom guys like gospel. Most recent one is NRS games are broke because testers are tournament players so they won't say that a character is broke in hopes of using said character in tournament. That's what Capcom heads with large following and influences are saying.
Who? And blame Testers going around saying they did that or getting specific characters nerfed because others would use them. Even if that isn't going on those jokes are a bad look.

Error

DF2+R2
But which one is it?

On one hand, you have so many people complaining about broke stuff (mainly those who play the game), and you have those who claim they stopped playing it because of the patching.

Aren't these two directly contradictory? If you don't patch, there will be more broke stuff, and literally nobody wants that.

This also ignores that the main testers aren't allowed to compete. But whatever man, UltraDavid knows what's up.
If you were having issues with your cellphone that required constant fixing and every time you brought it to be fixed it still turned out to be messed up would you want to keep using that phone?

JesterSMX

It's too laggy to poke...
But which one is it?

Haha that was a retweet of me on twitter and you're taking it out of context. Everyone keeps saying do you want broke shit to stay in the game or do you want the necessary patches. Basically I was saying I don't want either. The broke shit shouldn't exist. NRS QA and testers are flat out not doing their job. I was trying to make light of that and suggest a beta to make everyone a tester.

A lot of individuals are mentioning ESL being the cause of EVO numbers being low. Capcom Cup which run a few premiers and ranking events throughout the year/world still have a big turn out at EVO. Although EVO is still a qualifier for the cup many individuals who already have more than enough points and are guaranteed a qualifying spot still attend EVO.

With that said, is the reward more important than the competitive nature of the game? Being number one at EVO at a particular game is an honor and is compared to winning a championship for any professional sport.

NRS games don't have the same strong offline scene, culture and community leaders like you'll find in the Smash and Street Fighter scene (I'm familiar with some in the latter comunity who help run those events). They have many community events, encourage others to show up to offline events, and most importantly, they speak highly of their game to others that help build community numbers.

It's taken many years and hard work to build those scenes mentioned to where a thousand players showing up to EVO is standard, and the result is they have a large community who show up to events, with or without the company's support who made those games. And to the opinion that NRS games needs support of the company to survive, the Smash scene has been around supporting their game for more than a decade when Nintendo was hostile towards their scene and often threatened to shut it all down. Community support means more than company support. It's best when all support the game, of course.

I think what Mr. Aquaman is doing for the community with his events and his general attitude towards the game is what we need more of to keep community numbers stable at events.

MKX and Injustice are two separate titles. Both of them should be played until their respective sequel comes out. Injustice is not the sequel to MK, so why is Mk dropped on the announcement of Injustice? Anyone who even respects themselves should continue to play due to t he time spent on a title in a year.

MKX should be played until MK11. Injustice should of been played until Injustice 2.

same reason as always.. NRS do not allow the games times to grow. MKx is only a year old and they are affectively killing it by releasing injustice2 and stopping patching on MKx.

My point is that there is no consumer confidence in NRS as a tournament games. No one takes it seriously, so no one dose. Even the "hardcore" nrs players are creaming themselves over injustice 2 right now. When a NRS game can not even last ONE YEAR without dieing, why would it ever attract large groups of players putting in al that time... for what.. nothing.

Added to this is that NRS is always innovating. This sounds good in theory, but each game is affectively a brand new game. Most other games are essentially identical for decades, only small changes and run singular versions of long periods of time.

coolwhip

Noob
If you were having issues with your cellphone that required constant fixing and every time you brought it to be fixed it still turned out to be messed up would you want to keep using that phone?
...except what they're asking for "don't overpatch" would mean don't go and get your telephone fixed in that awful analogy you just given.

I'm fine if people said "too many patches, either get your shit together or I'm done playing this game." Except, what they're saying is "too many patches, leave the game as it is," which is baffling.

I don't mean to be a dick but the example you gave really has nothing to do with anything.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
What are my thoughts?

Game is dead and evo will be last big tournament for it.

That being said, there will still be a group of crybabies saying it isn't dead, but that's normally because it's the only game they were ever decent at (these guys generally main vortex characters and rely on gimmicks) and they will try and prove you wrong everytime a tournament gets more than 50 players.

RIP MKX, pretty fun but fucked like EVERY OTHER NRS title by crybabies and people who claim constant patching overwhelmingly "helps". Remember that most titles on this list with MORE ENTRANTS have either been patched LESS than mkx or have never been patched at all.

Not surprised. Outside of ESL, MKXL is swirling with negativity whether its from the players who play it, or NRS inability to balance characters properly and the PC debacle.

Im not trying to be a dick, but I figured most people here would be happy with the low numbers, cause the turnout could be a way to show NRS that they're doing something wrong with their games. They literally cant pay (pot bonus) players to keep playing.

Maybe the players that don't place consistently are not as good as they think they are and don't understand the game well enough to show their character. I firmly believe the skill peak is no where near its cap. We have to get better with Yomi, and decision making.

then I believe we could use a little of that variety

I can understand why people gets discouraged to invest time and money, players can't even get out of pools because the 2 spots are already taken by seeded players..low mkx numbers won't help with variety

Error

DF2+R2
...except what they're asking for "don't overpatch" would mean don't go and get your telephone fixed in that awful analogy you just given.

I'm fine if people said "too many patches, either get your shit together or I'm done playing this game." Except, what they're saying is "too many patches, leave the game as it is," which is baffling.

I don't mean to be a dick but the example you gave really has nothing to do with anything.
The analogy was awesome
These players aren't saying to never patch the game.
A working phone is pretty much a necessity nowadays, so not getting it fixed isn't an option, so instead of wasting money on a constantly broken phone you'd just buy a different one.
Ignoring the multiple patches isn't an option, and even after the patches come, there's still things in the game these players don't like so the patches seem more like an unnecessary annoyance. That's how "overpatching" and "this game is broken" can both be things that turn someone off from the game.

If NRS did open betas to better test for bugs and patched like 2 times a year these players might stick around.

Frequent patches don't affect tournament numbers. This myth needs to die.
It's not a myth and I bet it does have a large impact. There's a few fgc figureheads who stopped playing injustice and MK because of the frequent patching like PR Balrog, Justin Wong, Fchamp, Sabin, etc. Those are just the big names who stopped competing in NRS titles so surely there's countless less well known players who have stopped playing because of the patching too.

smile

Noob
Whenever I see "overpatching made me quit the game", it translates in my head to "my character got nerfed." Also I think safe armor moves, the amount of 50/50's compared to other games, impossible to AA and/or trip guard some characters, and forward movement being so much stronger compared to backward movement turn people off (and I left out some things too). Why get good at a game when someone less skilled than you can beat you anyway cause they picked a certain character? What do I know though, I'm just a scrub.

shura30

Shura
Maybe the players that don't place consistently are not as good as they think they are and don't understand the game well enough to show their character. I firmly believe the skill peak is no where near its cap. We have to get better with Yomi, and decision making.
sure but the game's lifespan doesn't allow people to learn and git gud
faster learning players and those who actually have a chance at attending offline sessions jump in and win everything, as soon as the others try to catch up the game dies because of the new one
you don't even get to the point where you want to improve yomi or your gameplan
think of someone that wants his revenge on the next major, bam, the game will not be there anymore

this gets more stupid in light of the new netcode
I believe a decent amount of players became better by simply having this incredible new tool at their own convenience

look at esl (at least eu side), new strong players every week and mostly from a pool of people playing online exclusively

It's not a myth and I bet it does have a large impact. There's a few fgc figureheads who stopped playing injustice and MK because of the frequent patching like PR Balrog, Justin Wong, Fchamp, Sabin, etc. Those are just the big names who stopped competing in NRS titles so surely there's countless less well known players who have stopped playing because of the patching too.
Sources please.