What's new

Current EVO Numbers For MKXL Release, Any Thoughts?

Big E posted the current EVO numbers for MKXL. Evo is about a month away. Any thoughts on why the numbers are lower than other big titles out right now? Discuss....

Numbers Game
4,000+ Street Fighter V
2,000+ Super Smash Bros for Wii U
1,500+ Super Smash Bros Melee
1,000+ Pokkén Tournament
600+ Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
600+ Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR-
???? Tekken 7: Fated Retribution
300+ Mortal Kombat XL
??? Killer Instinct

Source: https://www.facebook.com/2BigE3/posts/10153609180915778

Attachments

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
Yep, seems about right. This is what happens to NRS games, it's just natural at this point. Look at the previous years numbers, we go down in numbers every year. IIRC our numbers only increase when a new game is released. And then its numbers go down. And then ggs.
not usually this dramatically. From about 1200 to 300 is the biggest first year to second year drop I can remember

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
I wanna say that it will increase as EVO gets closer, but sheeesh man that's pretty rough lol..

Ahmad

Noob
It might be because constant balance patches turn people off from learning the game or certain characters because then you have to relearn everything again to a certain extent, which is further compounded by the variation system.

And screwing over PC players would have removed a subset of people.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
not usually this dramatically. From about 1200 to 300 is the biggest first year to second year drop I can remember
Yeah that's true. But it's also the only time we've had over 1k entrants. Each time though we usually go from starter number and then to around 300, except MK9 which was the only game to go for 3 years on the main stage and the third year went to 200 and something from 300.

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
Yeah that's true. But it's also the only time we've had over 1k entrants. Each time though we usually go from starter number and then to around 300, except MK9 which was the only game to go for 3 years on the main stage and the third year went to 200 and something from 300.
But it is interesting that this does seem to happen every time. I am curious to figure out what causes the drop, is it a game problem? A developer problem, or even a community problem? Perhaps all of the above...

Scott The Scot

But it is interesting that this does seem to happen every time. I am curious to figure out what causes the drop, is it a game problem? A developer problem, or even a community problem? Perhaps all of the above...
My first guess is that there is roughly 2-300 people who like NRS games that go to evo each year (or sign up and don't play) and the other majority of entrants are just people who played the game for the first year and dropped it for whatever reason. I know people in Scotland stopped playing MKX because there were too many patches being released. God knows what the problem is, man.

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
My first guess is that there is roughly 2-300 people who like NRS games that go to evo each year (or sign up and don't play) and the other majority of entrants are just people who played the game for the first year and dropped it for whatever reason. I know people in Scotland stopped playing MKX because there were too many patches being released. God knows what the problem is, man.
Out of curiosity was the drop in players in Scotland before the XL patch or after?

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
My guess would be people don't want to invest time into a NRS game because of frequent patching the first year on top of some overpowered DLC only to have support dropped and NRS move onto another game a year later. Or people just don't like the direction they took gameplay wise with MKX, it could be a combination of many things.

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
The players who like to play more fundamental, structured fighting games go for games like SF and Tekken.

The players that want to go balls to the wall go for games like Marvel and Guilty Gear.

Smash players are their own entity and don't overlap too much with other FGC games.

NRS games are in the middle, and as a result you get less fans among the tournament scene. Hard to please everyone.

Ahmad

Noob
Well...that seems like a huge factor. I can see why the way NRS does it would discourage people.

Are SF games, eg SFV, pretty balanced at launch? At least compared to NRS games?
Yes I would say that SFV is the most balanced version to date, you see a lot of variety in characters being used in tournaments, and that's at the highest play, so for casuals it's even better. And there aren't any major problems like infinites or unblockables or anything of that nature.

Scott The Scot

From memory there were about 5-6 patches/hotfixes in the first 5 months I think so I can't honestly blame them
Yeah neither can I but it's a shame that scenes can't actually form because NRS patch so much that it stops the players from wanting to play their game. So they get less people playing, but a lot of people paying initially for the game. At least I have a few people that play lol.

Ryu Hayabusa

Filthy Casual
Better question would be what is EVO doing wrong that NRS consumers are not interested in competing.

I mean MKX/XL sold more than SFV in march sales on PS store. MK was in top 20 and 4 out of 10 ad ons were MK related. Which means people are still playing game, why is it they don't want to go to EVO.

Tweedy

Noob
Maybe the game is just less appealing to offline regulars because of the fast patching and SFV?

I say this because of the ESL. The ESL had really good numbers every week for both NA and EU. Even better than previous seasons. People are playing, there's just a very small fraction that actually travels to tournaments.

At least people can't complain about MKX being before Marvel now. We know why. lol