What's new

CrimsonShadow Introduces MKi - New MK9 Player Rankings

None of you dumb assholes are reading the thread! all you look at is the rankings and start crying. All of your questions about "why isn't x player ranked here" are answered in Crim's description.

ecilA please read the entire OP and the About section on the website
Sami please read the entire OP and the About section on the website

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Very good work CrimsonShadow! Are you going to try and do the picture + a bio type of thing that NFG does? For like the top 10/20/30 maybe?

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
CrimsonShadow

Mad props for doing this. Quick question I remember hearing yiu were going to talk about this on another thread on pigs stream. I was wondering did this happen? If not I highly recommend you do this/talk about this on stream or maybe the ibs show. :)

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Please don't quote the entire OP, thanks! -FrothyOmen

Dramatica

Forecast calls for missiles
CrimsonShadow Great work, I always thought of doing this, little did I know someone was working on it right under my nose... I'd love to see all the raw data/spreadsheets sometime. Should have had this going since the beginning!

ecilA

Noob
None of you dumb assholes are reading the thread! all you look at is the rankings and start crying. I wish it weren't unethical for me to infract each and every one of you for not reading the OP and polluting this thread with sewage. All of your questions about "why isn't x player ranked here" are answered in Crim's description.

My bad, didn't read it through. Sorry guys

Dramatica

Any chance of giving more recent matches a higher priority than older ones when working out rankings? Would allow the chart to better reflect who is performing well at the moment rather than across the year as a whole.
When calculating the current scores, I doubt there was any time dependency involved, nor should there be. I think that everything included is equally relevant. You *could* implement time dependence, but it would involve adjusting the past changes to your ELO rating, which would require some arbitrary rate of decay, and result in scores going up and down even when matches weren't played. It wouldn't make sense to use for MK

Sami

Noob
None of you dumb assholes are reading the thread! all you look at is the rankings and start crying. All of your questions about "why isn't x player ranked here" are answered in Crim's description.

Hi FrothyOmen

I read the entire OP and the website. Here's some things:

1) The opening line says it's a new ranking system. The other part of the OP says it's a decades old one. I'm assuming it's actually using ELO as the first line was added by STORMS.

2) If using ELO, there are some potential issues when a player wins a lot of games in quick succession and then doesn't play anyone for ages having a (potentially) artificially higher score than their actual current ability.

3) If not actually using ELO, then an actual explaination of the system used (as in maths, not "it compares player wins/loses against other players) would be rather useful.

I understand the OP's desire to have it fully based on math, but if using ELO then there are ways of the results becoming skewed, hence my quite legitimate question about favouring newer results over older ones.

But please, don't be afraid to infract me for it.

edit: added 3)

Fazh

Jax/Stryker
this ranking system is useless. it doesn't count if a player wins a tourney (which matters ). also, it doesn't count if X player defeats top/scrub player...it gives same amount of points. I mean look at PL, he won 2 evos and get barely no points for that. ur using basic math in ur system any1 can do that.

Showtime

Reptile/Sonya
Sorry I never sent my list to ya CrimsonShadow , some matches you have for me are missing like mlg Anaheim stuff, would you still like it or is it to late?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

ecilA

Noob
this ranking system is useless. it doesn't count if a player wins a tourney (which matters ). also, it doesn't count if X player defeats top/scrub player...it gives same amount of points. I mean look at PL, he won 2 evos and get barely no points for that. ur using basic math in ur system any1 can do that.
You brung up a great point with PL why did he get such low points? The more you look into the system the less sense it makes a two time EVO winner should have way more points then anyone

Dramatica

Useless? seriously? this is by FAR the most pure system we've ever seen, even if it doesn't include some big tourneys. Despite trying my best I cannot think of any meaningful reason to have #1 tourney placement increase a score even more. I guess all the consecutive wins that you get when you win a tournament aren't enough? By definition the tournament victor automatically has more wins than anyone else in that tournament and is already being given "extra points."

Dramatica

You brung up a great point with PL why did he get such low points? The more you look into the system the less sense it makes a two time EVO winner should have way more points then anyone
No. Wrong. This is based on wins and losses only. A tournament is just a tournament, the scores don't care what it's called or who's at it. His score already received a huge EVO prize: grand finals wins against REO and CD jr, two top players.

SLy

Noob
So its basically comes down to who comes to these events and grinds the most wins out. As far as this system is concerned the Champs of evo doesn't mean much if their are people with better records out there.. cool

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Useless? seriously? this is by FAR the most pure system we've ever seen, even if it doesn't include some big tourneys. Despite trying my best I cannot think of any meaningful reason to have #1 tourney placement increase a score even more. I guess all the consecutive wins that you get when you win a tournament aren't enough? By definition the tournament victor automatically has more wins than anyone else in that tournament and is already being given "extra points."
Exactly. Not only in pure wins, but if you placed higher, you may have had to beat better players as well. The system automatically puts people ahead who do the best, without needing any extra kind of coercion.

AND in response to what Tom Brady was saying: if you're ranked lower than you feel your skill level is, and thus seeded lower at your next tourney, you will end up playing better plays earlier on. So your rating will auto-correct itself.

You can't run from the ratings; either you're beating good players or losing to them. No extra, no opinions. Just results :)

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
I have a question, there are players in the player list that have more points than others, but they don't appear in the top 100, why's that?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I have a question, there are players in the player list that have more points than others, but they don't appear in the top 100, why's that?
Hey Cossner! I explained that in my topic post here and in the About section, but it's hard for a rating to mean something vs. other people with only 2 or 3 matches. So people are included in the ranking once they have more than 5 matches played in the tourneys that are ranked. You have to play a bit, and have a chance to win and lose, for the rating to mean something.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
So its basically comes down to who comes to these events and grinds the most wins out. As far as this system is concerned the Champs of evo doesn't mean much if their are people with better records out there.. cool
Yup.. I love watching PerfectLegend play, but winning EVO doesn't automatically make him the best MK player alive until the next EVO. It's pretty hard to take REO's accomplishments away from him.

People who did well at EVO received appropriate points anyway -- because of the number and quality of opponents they had to beat to make it far in the bracket. But it's not a "best player forever" pass, and I think the ratings reflect that.

Likewise if MK had been dropped from EVO, or gets dropped in the future, our game will still be valid and we'll still be able to rate people on how they do vs. other good players.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Sorry I never sent my list to ya CrimsonShadow , some matches you have for me are missing like mlg Anaheim stuff, would you still like it or is it to late?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Hey Showtime -- No worries, I'm making a list of anything that needs to be corrected, and I'll update everything. Here's the bracket from Anaheim:

http://s3.majorleaguegaming.com/2012-anaheim-mortalkombat-champ.html

Show me where your name is, and I'll connect it with your other results.

CrazyBread

Princess Diana
Wow this is awesome! Seeding for tournaments won't seem so opinionated when you have the facts right in front of you. This is cool because it's similar to stats, just like in sports and it's a cool way to keep track of all your favorite players tournament wins. Thank you for putting in so much time and effort in for this, much appreciated.