What's new

CrimsonShadow Introduces MKi - New MK9 Player Rankings

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I think the "who beat who" system is fine, but I just don't think it can work mainly because there is NO WAY that EVERY T.O. is going to log every round of who beat who at every major.
EVO has a bracket, MLG has a bracket, tournaments Phil runs he's been nice enough to send the bracket for, Chef is sending the bracket from SCR, etc.

I understand you are new to this, but almost every TO that runs a big event, uses TIO or challonge to manage the brackets -- and both types of files can be imported directly into the system. This is already covered :D Please read the about info.

McNasty

Moist.
magnificent job CrimsonShadow ive been very impressed with our members mathematical prowess and their devotion to solid analysis of competitive mk. This is an excellent idea with incredible follow through. Great work!

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
You don't need to log every round, right? It's just about who won each set.

If nothing else, being able to see an individual player's win/loss history is pretty awesome.
You should consider expanding this to more than just NRS games. People from other communities might be interested in a system like this.
Hey kronspik: for sure -- although I've left the option open to adjust the W/L by how lopsided it is, in the future. I have to figure out the math of how that will work though, so that it's balanced with the tournaments like EVO that don't have scores. So for now, everything is solid W/L.

And certainly -- if any other games are interested in using the system, it's built so that it can accomodate multiple games. The key though, is having someone who knows that community to do things like recognizing when a player used diff. names at diff. tournaments; that's something that's easier to do here, but would need other people to do that for other games.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
You CAN'T be serious. I just do not understand how you can start this based off of 2012 but leave off so many 2012 events. It should start off of 2013 where you can do a better job of knowing who beat who. This makes me tom brady?
That, and you sound just like Tom Brady.

kronspik

Noob
Hey kronspik: for sure -- although I've left the option open to adjust the W/L by how lopsided it is, in the future. I have to figure out the math of how that will work though, so that it's balanced with the tournaments like EVO that don't have scores. So for now, everything is solid W/L.
That's cool. I think you should give a short explanation of how the ratings are calculated on the site. That would also make the numbers more meaningful.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
so in layman's terms, this is pretty much identical to the ranking system some online games use (trueskill)

awesome
Yup 100%, Trueskill and other pvp-type games like SC/LoL usually use an ELO-derived ranking system (with the formula sometimes tweaked or modified a bit) to determine rank. So this is a similar type of setup. Since MK isn't as reliable online, it makes sense for us to use the offline data instead.

inb4 people don't read the post and ask why X player isn't on the list

This is a great proof-of-concept
The real beauty of this will be shown once Injustice drops

ecilA

Noob
Now that you know I'm not tom LOL with him not even top 20. Agree with it or not its still funny as hell to see. Why is xblades so low? I figured him for top 15 for sure. He did get top 8 at EVO and he has won a few west coast events.

Sami

Noob
Any chance of giving more recent matches a higher priority than older ones when working out rankings? Would allow the chart to better reflect who is performing well at the moment rather than across the year as a whole.