What's new

Could NRS implement a tournament standard mode?

Tournament mode

• Total voters

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
I've been thinking... I've been thinking.

Could NRS add a tournament standard mode for both offline AND online. Here are my ideas.

1. 3/5 with GF being 4/7
2. Keeps the winning player locked at the same variation and the losing player can select a new character/variation
3. No blood/fatality in this mode
4. No cutscenes/win poses
5. Right after the match is over, immediately goes to the player select screen and locks in the winning players character/variation.
6. Also, the stage select would be completely random (could have banned stages hotfixed out of this mode)

I think it would be a good add on to both offline and online and make it ALMOST mandatory for tournaments to use 3/5.

Sure there would be options to just have a versus mode for one match but this could speed things up and add to the game online too.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
No, we don't know how the game will pay yet, we don't know how benefic variation will be, there isin't even a rule of character lock yet.

The game doesn't use VS screen codes anymore.
I do believe cutcenes are skip-able at this point.

All stages seems to have same range and are being designed to not disctract the players.

We don't know how long or short MKX battles will be yet, having a pre defined set like 3/5 might be a bad idea, specially if it can't be changed.

Honestly i think this is a waste of slot in the disc that could use more useful space for more useful thing, like more characters, less load time, netcode, better training mode etc etc.

no

insignis

Noob
I thought of it, too, but with different format.

You limit everything too much. I want to perform a fatality and see blood on my hands >.<

It could be done easily:
1) Player creates a tournament
2) Other players signing in
3) Brackets are created randomly
4) After losing you can stay and watch other matches
5) Single elimination FT1 - or make it be capable of regulation.

E

Eldriken

No blood/fatalities? Hell. No.

Sure, if people want to opt out of them, then by all means. But what's more hype than landing a Babality on someone in a tournament? Sure, this can only happen if they're in the game, but I would surely hope so. Nothing's more demoralizing than turning your opponent's character into a baby.

I say make no blood/fatalities an input like it is in MK9.

Art

Grave_Intent
A few points..
First, I like the idea.
Second, Not thrilled with "winning player locked at the same variation", because the whole point of the 3 different variations is to allow the character to be versatile. Now I would say the character over-all is "Locked" but not the variations.
On your 5th idea, I'd say it would have a winner character lock setting in case the match is a first to three for grand finals or something.
I also like that it keeps track of brackets, but I think that would be stretching it a bit in case someone drops for what ever reason.
Other than that it looks good!

SoundsLikePAUSE

Neptune's Beard!!!
I voted "you're a fool" only because there wasn't a third option. I don't actually think you're a fool. I like the idea but I don't think anything should be set in stone until after we see a few tournaments play out.

pherleece

Woolay
A few points..
First, I like the idea.
Second, Not thrilled with "winning player locked at the same variation", because the whole point of the 3 different variations is to allow the character to be versatile. Now I would say the character over-all is "Locked" but not the variations.
On your 5th idea, I'd say it would have a winner character lock setting in case the match is a first to three for grand finals or something.
I also like that it keeps track of brackets, but I think that would be stretching it a bit in case someone drops for what ever reason.
Other than that it looks good!
If winner has to stay with the same character then the variation needs to be locked too. Why should the winner be allowed to counter pick at all?

Goldi

Noob
I liked how they tried to do tournament mode for MK9. I never used it though. I need my meter!

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
If winner has to stay with the same character then the variation needs to be locked too. Why should the winner be allowed to counter pick at all?
It's not counter picking if you move on to the next opponent and you both get to choose your variation.

Art

Grave_Intent
It's not counter picking if you think about it. You just change fighting styles but it's still the same character. This allows the matches to be more diverse.

Last edited:

pherleece

Woolay
@Art maybe we are talking about 2 differnet things. Are you saying after you win against your 1st opponent that you keep character for the your next opponent but change variation cause im talking about if you lose your first match in a 3 outta 5 the winner should be locked unless they lose the match. I dont know if im making sense lol. Im at busy at work tryingto keep up on tym on an aAndroid phone which is a horror

ive been saying this for years, yes i want that.

make it customizable though

2/3, 3/5, any other Format, gets selected when created

brackets get randomized or seeded by rank/trueskill (online) or manually (offline)

and of course double elimination (maybe as option)

character/variation lock for winner is customizable

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
I think with the way that they are setting up variations, the only way to prevent this game from being a counterpicking fest on tournament level is to allow the winner to still change variations after a win while remaining character locked. It's complicated, as this may cause certain more well-rounded characters to be better than others, but in all honesty that is generally how these games work anyway. Additionally, that seems to be the whole point of variations- create multiple ways for a character to be played so that they have a better chance in various matchups by switching to a different toolset. I honestly think this is the best way to do it.
The rest of what you said makes sense, although I personally think you should keep fatalities on just for hype purposes.

RoGE

Noob
If it borrows heavily from Skullgirls tournament mode then yes.

edit: do stuff like
-disable trophies/achievements
-goto assign controllers to a player at the character select
-also do controller config at the start

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
I agree with those saying that this is a waste of disk space. This is something that can be done by the players very easily and it usually is. NRS is better off using that disk space on something else.

Art

Grave_Intent
@Art maybe we are talking about 2 differnet things. Are you saying after you win against your 1st opponent that you keep character for the your next opponent but change variation cause im talking about if you lose your first match in a 3 outta 5 the winner should be locked unless they lose the match. I dont know if im making sense lol. Im at busy at work tryingto keep up on tym on an aAndroid phone which is a horror
I was thinking this...
Match #1.. 1st game winner is character locked but NOT style locked,
Same Match #1.. Say you both go 1W 1L who ever won the 2nd game is now character locked for the final game in the 1st match, but NOT style locked.
Same thing for all matches...

I think the styles should never be locked, reason being is that it allows a certain adjustment to be made as a reward to the winner of each game. This also allows for a match to become more divers and makes for a huge variety of play-styles to be shown and will ultimately make a match super awesome to watch even as just a casual spectator.

pherleece

Woolay
I was thinking this...
Match #1.. 1st game winner is character locked but NOT style locked,
Same Match #1.. Say you both go 1W 1L who ever won the 2nd game is now character locked for the final game in the 1st match, but NOT style locked.
Same thing for all matches...

I think the styles should never be locked, reason being is that it allows a certain adjustment to be made as a reward to the winner of each game. This also allows for a match to become more divers and makes for a huge variety of play-styles to be shown and will ultimately make a match super awesome to watch even as just a casual spectator.
i cant agree with this. in MK9 we didnt allow the winner to change their costume cause some costumes change the characters properties and i dont see why this should be anything different. the winner shouldn't be allowed to counterpick at all. @ChaosTheory said it best:

Haven't you heard? It's unfair for a player to win a first match with no added stipulation and then have an opportunity to win a second match with no added stipulation.

You've got to create a handicap to make things fair.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
It's up to community to decide what mode is most competitive/fun/fair/hype/whatever, not NRS.
Option to disable annoying stuff (win poses, fatalities, battle damage, whatever) could be included regardless, no matter what other options you use.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
Nothing's more demoralizing than turning your opponent's character into a baby.

I say make no blood/fatalities an input like it is in MK9.
Even more demoralizing is trying to finish your opponent but cannot because the blood is turned off in options mode - like it was in every other MK game before MK9.