What's new

Could NRS implement a tournament standard mode?

Tournament mode

• Total voters
Overall, a tournament mode is a great idea, but you are making it too limiting. Simply make everything an option up front, it means more work initially, but that can be done off-stream and even saved as a pre-set. And to those saying this "takes up too much space on the disc" seriously? This has got to be the lamest reason not to do something. It is 2014 and we are using Blu-Ray discs, often double density ~50 GB. What are you using, a PS1 CD disc? This is seriously one screen with text, it can't possibly use more than a few megabytes. Most of the functions already exist somewhere in the game, you merely are toggling them on or off.

Preset Tournament Format: 1, 2, 3, or MLG, CEO, EVO (save a name of your choosing)
Single, Double elimination etc.,
Rounds to Win Main Bracket: 2,3,4,5, Different Losers Finals: Yes/No, Winner's Finals: Yes/No, Grand Finals: Yes/No
Blood Yes/No,
Automatic Random Stage Select
Lock Winner's Character: Yes/No
Lock Winner's Variaton: Yes/No
Automatic 15 second button check: Yes/No

Make it editable at any time in case an error is made. You can even pre-type names in for competitors for Top 8 (as an example)

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
i cant agree with this. in MK9 we didnt allow the winner to change their costume cause some costumes change the characters properties and i dont see why this should be anything different. the winner shouldn't be allowed to counterpick at all. @ChaosTheory said it best:
ChaosTheory said it with sarcasm. I don't agree with creating stipulations at all. When two players sit down to play their first match; they both have the freedom to choose whichever character they please. I don't see why that has to change after the first match. It seems to me that from a competitive point of view, you'd want to keep players on an even playing field for the entirety of the set.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
The best thing I think they coudl do would be to allow a console to do like 2 things.
One... create a bracket of like 4/8 people. Custom names (for tags). At the initial screen, you can move your controller to your tag (sort of like the old NBA Jam stuff where you pick teams) and lock it in.

This will allow TO's to stay even more organized. They can assign players to their respective console in pools, rather than have to watch the chaos unfold.
This will also allow the players to know at Tourney's where they are going to be for awhile.
If you have enough consoles, you can even set up the loser's bracket and have them ran in sync as well.

Online, I think having probably more than 8 people would be a tad much connection wise.

Honestly, online, i'd just want an option to play ranked in a 1 match 3 match 5 match version.

d3v

SRK
Variation should't be locked. It has never been locked in any games with similar variations (Melty Blood's Moon Phases, Arcana Heart's Arcanas heck even Ultras in SFIV), dunno why it should start here.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Variation should't be locked. It has never been locked in any games with similar variations (Melty Blood's Moon Phases, Arcana Heart's Arcanas heck even Ultras in SFIV), dunno why it should start here.
I don't think changing ultras in SF can make zoner into rushdown, and rushdown into setup trapper. If that change isn't dramatic enough to be considered at least on par with repicking character in terms on how it affects MU, I don't know what is.
I'm not really familiar with other examples you've brought though.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
I've been thinking... I've been thinking.

Could NRS add a tournament standard mode for both offline AND online. Here are my ideas.

1. 3/5 with GF being 4/7
2. Keeps the winning player locked at the same variation and the losing player can select a new character/variation
3. No blood/fatality in this mode
4. No cutscenes/win poses
5. Right after the match is over, immediately goes to the player select screen and locks in the winning players character/variation.
6. Also, the stage select would be completely random (could have banned stages hotfixed out of this mode)

I think it would be a good add on to both offline and online and make it ALMOST mandatory for tournaments to use 3/5.

Sure there would be options to just have a versus mode for one match but this could speed things up and add to the game online too.
Why not just make a tournament mode where all of those types of options are fully customizable? I think that would be the better way to do it.

eolson3

Noob
How much strain on the disc could it really be? Everything involved is already made, they are just being arranged in a particular sequence.

I think this is poor reasoning.

E

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
MKX will most likely have the instant rematch from the pause menu, so turning blood off/on for tournament play won't be as important, unless it causes extra slowdown. Also means we won't see many fatals or babys.

I still want the option for it though, and to finally be able to turn off battle damage.
That stuff gets old super fast.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
Why not just make a tournament mode where all of those types of options are fully customizable? I think that would be the better way to do it.
Sure, that's why I created this to discuss this stuff and come up with the hypothetical (at this point) tournament mode.

A little off topic but EA UFC has a tournament mode for online for championships. I believe it is a 16 man tounament. It would be cool for MKX.

Also, I like how EA UFC actually matches people up with people of the same "rank/skill" in championships/ranked by having different tiers you are in. All of my fights online have been close in "skill". This discourages people quitting and makes the game enjoyable while still learning the game.

Just some brainstorming to make MKX better and the possibilities at least for online.

d3v

SRK
I don't think changing ultras in SF can make zoner into rushdown, and rushdown into setup trapper. If that change isn't dramatic enough to be considered at least on par with repicking character in terms on how it affects MU, I don't know what is.
I'm not really familiar with other examples you've brought though.
Refer to the other examples. Changing different Moon Phases or Arcanas change the characters in ways similar to MKX.

This isn't some brand new thing that NRS created, but has actually been done before.