What's new

General/Other - Boneshaper Congrats WoundCowboy! Shinnok mains rejoice!

Well when NRS nerfs Shinnok to the point where he's no longer able to get this so called "free" pressure, makes half of his moves unsafe, you'll soon see why I downplayed him. This is from a Shinnok main and I seriously don't see "top tier" next to Shinnok for too much longer. This is the last patch where he'll be even remotely considered by people as a "top tier".

I don't think Shinnok is the best character in the game.

I still think that Tempest Lao is the best.

Shinnok is at least top 10, if not top 5.
This is what I've said this in this entire thread and half of TYM is coming down on me. I've said he's top 10, and everyone and there mother is chasing me down lol.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
shinnok is #1.
tempest lao is still good,
but BS Shinnok is insane.
he has everything.
Tempest Lao punishes just about everything that BS Shinnok can't, and with spin punishes almost everything.

I would also argue that Tempest Lao's mobility is far better than Shinnok. That said, Shinnok's pressure is probably better because of the 50/50 that Lao doesn't have.

YGDWaffles

Breakfast Lunch & Dinner's for Beginners
just my opinion, but i'd say the top 5 could be mixed and matched in order. they're all great and have broken stuff, so one's not better than the other.

Tempest Lao punishes just about everything that BS Shinnok can't, and with spin punishes almost everything.

I would also argue that Tempest Lao's mobility is far better than Shinnok. That said, Shinnok's pressure is probably better because of the 50/50 that Lao doesn't have.
Tempest Lao gets more punishes? I thought that was Buzzsaw and hat trick Lao.

Tempest Lao has better mobility, yeah.
but Shinnok stops characters mobility and has better zoning.
Does Tempest Lao have bad matchups?
Cause Shinnok doesnt have any bad matchups.

Rude

Tempest Lao gets more punishes? I thought that was Buzzsaw and hat trick Lao.

Tempest Lao has better mobility, yeah.
but Shinnok stops characters mobility and has better zoning.
Does Tempest Lao have bad matchups?
Cause Shinnok doesnt have any bad matchups.
Buzzsaw has more mix ups, but Tempest has all the punishes in the universe.

Also, I don't think Tempest really has any losing match ups. Just even ones.

Shinnok zones possibly the best, but Lao was never a zoner to begin with.

It's a tough call but I would place BS at 2nd or 3rd.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Well when NRS nerfs Shinnok to the point where he's no longer able to get this so called "free" pressure, makes half of his moves unsafe, you'll soon see why I downplayed him. This is from a Shinnok main and I seriously don't see "top tier" next to Shinnok for too much longer. This is the last patch where he'll be even remotely considered by people as a "top tier".
He won't be nerfed that badly. They gave him buffs pretty much every patch, and clearly gave him too much. They'll likely tone it down a little but I doubt that they will blow him up.

Most likely it'll be that ridiculous +8 restand beam with a 7f low (like really though? lol) will have the beam less frames to allow armor/Backdash or it'll KD instead of restand. This is as obvious a nerf coming as you will see. The rest of him may or may not get touched but if he is the rest will be minimal. He'll be an actual Top 10 after that, still incredibly strong, just not Top 3 while uber strong and easy to use. If you think that he is "fine" in his current state, with those properties, I don't know what to tell you man lol. Maybe you main'd Kabal and Cyrax lol.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
I do hope either the recovery or the damage of the dark beam gets toned down. It's pretty silly right now.

Personally would prefer the recovery.

Reactions: SPY
Buzzsaw has more mix ups, but Tempest has all the punishes in the universe.

Also, I don't think Tempest really has any losing match ups. Just even ones.

Shinnok zones possibly the best, but Lao was never a zoner to begin with.

It's a tough call but I would place BS at 2nd or 3rd.
what do you mean tempest punishes everything? it seems to me that king lao loses to kitana in mkx. air fans shut down his mobility just like in mk9

Rude

what do you mean tempest punishes everything? it seems to me that king lao loses to kitana in mkx. air fans shut down his mobility just like in mk9

What I mean is, there are moves in MKX that are only punishable by Tempest Spin. So really what i should say is that he full combo punishes stuff that most other characters can't.

Even stuff that can only be punished by a Sub Slide or a Reptile dash can be full-combo'd by Tempest Lao.

As far as Kitana goes, I'm skeptical. I'd like to see it play out though.

What I mean is, there are moves in MKX that are only punishable by Tempest Spin. So really what i should say is that he full combo punishes stuff that most other characters can't.

Even stuff that can only be punished by a Sub Slide or a Reptile dash can be full-combo'd by Tempest Lao.

As far as Kitana goes, I'm skeptical. I'd like to see it play out though.
You are mistaken, tempest got changed to 7 frames when the variation got buffed (from 5 frames) so buzzsaw/hat trick is actually better for punishing since his ex spin moves forward while still being 7 frames. His damage from said punishes are better in Tempest though.

Sorry to derail, congrats to Woundcowboy!

He won't be nerfed that badly. They gave him buffs pretty much every patch, and clearly gave him too much. They'll likely tone it down a little but I doubt that they will blow him up.

Most likely it'll be that ridiculous +8 restand beam with a 7f low (like really though? lol) will have the beam less frames to allow armor/Backdash or it'll KD instead of restand. This is as obvious a nerf coming as you will see. The rest of him may or may not get touched but if he is the rest will be minimal. He'll be an actual Top 10 after that, still incredibly strong, just not Top 3 while uber strong and easy to use. If you think that he is "fine" in his current state, with those properties, I don't know what to tell you man lol. Maybe you main'd Kabal and Cyrax lol.
Honestly, I don't care what they do to Boneshaper Shinnok. Just buff my main Necromancer and we'll be fine. I mained Jade and Kano in MK9, so that should speak some volumes to you. Shinnok is fine as his, not top 3 material at all. He has a lot of even match-ups and maybe the occasional 2-3 good ones in his favor but to out right say he's top 3? No.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Honestly, I don't care what they do to Boneshaper Shinnok. Just buff my main Necromancer and we'll be fine. I mained Jade and Kano in MK9, so that should speak some volumes to you. Shinnok is fine as his, not top 3 material at all. He has a lot of even match-ups and maybe the occasional 2-3 good ones in his favor but to out right say he's top 3? No.
Clearly when people refer to Shinnok being strong to the point of needing adjustments they are talking about BS, not the other two variations.

How do you define "not top 3 material at all"? Having everything be either good or great with no real weaknesses is not top material? Having no bad MU's, or possibly one bad MU at the most is not top material? Being better overall than nearly every variation in the entire game, which is unanimously agreed upon by both spectators and top players is not top material?

BS Shinnok is "Top 10" to you but not Top 5? Seriously? Hall of Fame level downplay. What are nine variations better than BS Shinnok? Maybe you can see how absurd it looks if you try to type it out.

I'm not sure what you are judging by, but again, there isn't an ounce of evidence to suggest that Bone Shaper is not a Top 5 variation in the game at worst, likely a Top 3. Whether he needs nerfs or not or how many nerfs is debatable, but to pretend as if he isn't a hair away from being the best in the game is asinine.

That hell sparks buff though, I'd love to hear the discussion on okaying that buff. I miss watching wound's Shang tear up cyrax es. Those were the days.