What's new

{Completed] ELEAGUE Mortal Kombat 11 Showdown

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
Wait, the winner went in with an account he set up to get matchups with shitty players? That seems a bit fraudulent for a real money tournament.
also gave him less declines, & placing came down to the last second...he did only lose once though, but mustard who got 2nd only lost once also...it was pretty fun to watch though.

gitblame

Noob
A few words about matchmaking. I am suprised that NRS implemented matchmaking in this beta kasual mode. But yeah, I realised it at some point that my oponnents were mostly arount at the same level as me. It's looking quite promising for new ranked system they talked about.

But I wish I knew that sooner. I spent hours to get matched with my friends who did not have as many games as me and we couldn't. If I knew I would make another account and try to match with them from there.

What a shitty showdown. Unfair and boring to watch. I cant believe Reo set an account with 55 loses and got away with it. It should have been in the rules that everybody starts at 0-0. And i really hope there is a way to hide your online record when the game comes out. It was really pathethic seeing people decline matches because they were worried about their beta online record.

haketh

Noob
A Twitch Rivals Style tournament is great for stuff like Apex & Fortnite but I dunno if it works for FGs

What a shitty showdown. Unfair and boring to watch. I cant believe Reo set an account with 55 loses and got away with it. It should have been in the rules that everybody starts at 0-0. And i really hope there is a way to hide your online record when the game comes out. It was really pathethic seeing people decline matches because they were worried about their beta online record.
I applaud reo for this strat.

Orochi

Scorpion Scrub
I'm sure in ranked play there won't be a decline option unless it's a really bad connection, this was casual play in the beta it was def an oversight on the organizers. I would've had them start with a 0-0 account.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
This was....interesting....Good concept but it had waaaaaaay too many damn commercials. It was seriously a commercial every 10 mins. It was ridiculous to the point where I kinda didnt even wanted to watch anymore. And it seemed a bit unorganized. It did give the competitors good shine to show off more of the game, but the execution could have been better.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I enjoyed it. Nice chance for some players to showcase their streams. I wish David and Mr. Aquaman would have had a chance to do a little more analysis, but overall I had a fun time watching.

Reo just made an issue apparent. Don't hate the player. Also tournament rules should have had the foresight for this as well.

REO 200iq
I don't know. Proper manners would have him pointing out this exploit to the organizers so that they could correct the oversight before the tournament began so that nobody would be able to take advantage of it and they all need to use their main accounts or they all need to use a new account which starts at 0-0.

The E-League offered money to professional players so that they could showcase an actual competition between top gamers. That wasn't what they got in exchange for their money. Instead what they got was a couple of people exploiting a hole in a new code base. The fact that you can exploit something doesn't make it less immoral or less worthy of derision when you do so.

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
I don't know. Proper manners would have him pointing out this exploit to the organizers so that they could correct the oversight before the tournament began so that nobody would be able to take advantage of it and they all need to use their main accounts or they all need to use a new account which starts at 0-0.

The E-League offered money to professional players so that they could showcase an actual competition between top gamers. That wasn't what they got in exchange for their money. Instead what they got was a couple of people exploiting a hole in a new code base. The fact that you can exploit something doesn't make it less immoral or less worthy of derision when you do so.
You can make an argument that if REO thought about it beforehand and not like the day of there may be enough time to amend the rules. I'm not sure if he did know this beforehand long enough for them to make a change, but if he did and told them it would be maximally ethical. But most of the fault relies on whoever organized this not having good rules. If you want to run an event for an incomplete product you need to have foresight. It helps if you actually played the game you wanted to run an event for and knew dodging was not a trivial problem.

This is also a social problem, even if REO had an 0 win record people could have dodge him because he was on wi-fi or had ass ping or whatever. It's not Reo's fault people are pussies about their w/l in a beta. The whole format thing is fucking stupid and they shouldn't have had money for it. They just aped off of what Battle royal games do when they bop scrubs, very random and hard to come up with a ruleset that covers all grey area situations.

So all in all I don't really care that Reo took advantage of this. Good lesson for people making events like this.

Last edited:

ColdSpine

"I wore those colors before you"
Im confused, is this event finished? or? as i understood its gonna start in about 45mins?

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
You can make an argument that if REO thought about it beforehand and not like the day of there may be enough time to amend the rules. I'm not sure if he did know this beforehand long enough for them to make a change, it would be maximally ethical.
Well, I mean... he did it long beforehand to a point, where he had time to lose 55 matches. That strikes me as plenty of time.

This is also a social problem, even if REO had an 0 win record people could have dodge him because he was on wi-fi or had ass ping or whatever. It's not Reo's fault people are pussies about their w/l in a beta.
I personally don't even think any of this is an issue. REO exploited an oversight by ELEAGUE. If the other competitiors had been smart enough, they would have done the same thing. When there are no rules in place and 2500$ are on the line, you better make sure to get dat money, son.

The "right" thing to do was not just to create a new account (0-0). The "right" thing to do was to lose a bunch of matches, so that less people would decline you. Mustard had a 0-0 account at the beginning, where REO had a 0-55 account. After 30 wins, Mustard was at 30-0 and REO was at 30-55. Who is more likely to get declined by their opponents based on the stats alone? Mustard of course.

Xelz

Go over there!
Congrats to REO and I'm in the camp that he played by the rules laid out in the tournament, so he deserves the win. This just showcases the problems with running a real money tournament during a beta with no lobbies or ranked matches. And frankly it was hard watching streams since it took streamers sooooo long to find an opponent willing to play them on their regular account. I really can't blame them for using fake accounts just to avoid waiting an eternity for a match. Thankfully this won't be a problem in final build.