What's new

Complete DLC characters on SFxTK disc

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
It's likely none of this stuff is even finished even though it is on disc. Yeah, you see them playable, but it's very likely they aren't even properly balanced and even have unfinished components.

To whoever suggested unlocking characters like the old days...uhhhhhhhh do you realize how dumb that tends to be? Having to spend HOURS to unlock characters just so the game is ready for tournaments. Yeah. No. It's bad enough MK9 STILL went down that road.

Read your EULAs. You aren't entitled to anything on that disk. You pay for the right to access its content, and the content provided can withhold as much as they like. All software is like this, not just games.

I'm not condoning this, but it's seriously been this way for well over a decade.

Tim Static

Adminerator
The question this all begs to be answered is what is DLC exactly now? what does it mean? A couple years ago it was map packs, extensions of the game that was purchased and downloaded via the internet to expand the game you purchased.

Stop calling it Downloadable Content, Capcom. Start calling it Unlocked Content via Another Purchase. UCVAP. there we go.

:facepalm:

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
It's likely none of this stuff is even finished even though it is on disc. Yeah, you see them playable, but it's very likely they aren't even properly balanced and even have unfinished components.

To whoever suggested unlocking characters like the old days...uhhhhhhhh do you realize how dumb that tends to be? Having to spend HOURS to unlock characters just so the game is ready for tournaments. Yeah. No. It's bad enough MK9 STILL went down that road.
Well, for tournaments, it'd be a pain in the ass for sure. I'm just thinking from the perspective of the at-home experience.
If they were to, say, give you the option of either working through the game to earn your characters, or a Scott's Stuff-ish cheat that could open & re-lock them at a moment's notice either due to impatience or need for a full tourney lineup, you'd be set.
That way, if one wanted to commit to a few hundred leg-beatings to complete their roster, or needed it opened in a hurry for a show or a casual gathering, both sides can win.
Whether or not that'd actually be practical, I haven't a clue, I'm just trying to balance the two sides.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
The question this all begs to be answered is what is DLC exactly now? what does it mean? A couple years ago it was map packs, extensions of the game that was purchased and downloaded via the internet to expand the game you purchased.

Stop calling it Downloadable Content, Capcom. Start calling it Unlocked Content via Another Purchase. UCVAP. there we go.

:facepalm:
90's/2000's DLC = DownLoadable Content
2010's DLC = Disc-Locked Content

:cool:

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
I still don't understand the problem. The original roster said 38 characters. Are there 38 characters on your disc? They probably had the game finished and spent a little time on the dlc characters and coded them in before they sent the press orders for the discs. That doesn't mean they're finished. You ever hear of the diff command? They'll probably update the new characters before we have access to them anyway. You know they have like 5 maps from mw2 and 1 on the mw3 disc? OjuggernautO explained it pretty well. You should be happy capcom isn't going to relese super sfxt, super sfxt AE, super turbo sfxt AE, and super turbo sfxt AE tournament edition. And complain all you want, You're getting 12 characters for at most the price you paid for 3 in mk. Oh, and it doesn't matter if someone doesn't have the "compatibility pack" either. You know how annoying it is that people still don't have the comp packs in mk? One person in KOTH takes away Kratos and all the dlc characters for use. Yes, this did happen back when I played mk online.

The example of the car is sooo fucking bad.

A better example would be
If I were to sell you a home and told you it doesn't have a pool for lets say 500k. You come to inspect the home and see a pool that is about to be cemented in. Are you going to tell me that you felt "cheated" and that you deserved that pool because it was there in the first place despite that I advertised the home clearly without a pool? (ps you can upgrade to get a pool for an additional cost). I mean you're still getting exactly what you were told you would get for 500k.

edit
In either case, dlc practices are pretty fucking bad throughout the gaming industry. But I would have to say atleast in fighters its considerably better than most triple AAA games.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
It is a business model. It makes perfect sense. THTB said it best... those characters probably aren't "complete" when it comes to balance and even move lists and how to perform them. Simply put... the "characters" are there in form... but not function. It saves developers time ... because they don't have to go back and do it over. They can use the 6months to iron out the new guys AND the old guys.

Whatever, the case... this model makes a ton of sense in every way. There are WAY worse ways to do DLC and cap com was the worst at it... making complete new games discs just to get new characters and slight nerfs/buffs.

aj1701

Noob
I'm not arguing the pricing, I'm just kinda taken aback at the fact that they have at least 12 characters completely finished and ready to go but are just locking them down and forcing you to pay for them. It's like they finished the game then set aside a few of the finished characters for DLC and called it a day.

Almost as bad as what Bioware is doing with Mass Effect 3.
No one is forcing you to buy anything. You get the game, if you want those characters they are extra. Its their product, they can sell it however they want.

aj1701

Noob
but they are on the disc man. why would we buy them? we already bought them. we are paying to unlock them. theres no reason to buy them.
This is where everyone goes wrong. The disc is meaningless. You're not buying a disc, you're buying content that happens to be on the disc. In this case, you're not buying ALL the content on the disc, just some of it. The rest of it is available for purchase separately. Given that, would you rather have to download some megs worth of data and then not be able to use the character because somone didn't bother to get a compat pack, or would you rather be able to unlock it quickly and not be limited b/c someone else didn't bother to download a free add-on?

I just had to redownload everything again after installing a new drive in my PS3; it was a lot nicer have a 4kb file simply unlock something than having queue up a bunch of installation files.