What's new

Complaint thread

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Sindel being evil was just... why??

Also, I was kinda hoping in aftermath that we'd get a scene with Revenant Kitana almost killing normal Kitana, only for Mileena to show up from nowhere and toss a sai on her hand saying something like "only I get to kill my sister!" or some corny shit like that. Man, MK11 had such wasted plot potential...

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
every single male ninja and cyborg should be in every single MK

View attachment 19393
Who's that other green dude?

Edit: it's chameleon, right?
Sindel being evil was just... why??

Also, I was kinda hoping in aftermath that we'd get a scene with Revenant Kitana almost killing normal Kitana, only for Mileena to show up from nowhere and toss a sai on her hand saying something like "only I get to kill my sister!" or some corny shit like that. Man, MK11 had such wasted plot potential...
Speaking of wasted potential... How they never once uttered the phrase "Choose your destiny" in that game is beyond me. It should've been the whole fucking theme of the story.

CipherJ

Noob
The character intros are 42 seconds each. WTH.....who wants to watch something that long to get into the action. I know it can be skipped, but quick character intros and some may be random match up specific ones are the way to go. SF6 rematch option is lightning fast--cycle time is important.

Where is the info on cross-play? I want PC to be able to cross-play console. Ideally make it have a speed test where if players hardware supports fast load they cross play with PS5 and Xbox. If slow they crossvplay with PS4 and Switch.

Last edited:

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I've never played much attention to the story, and didn't really play MK9 much, but I just assumed Sindel wasalways evil... she just looks like a baddie lol

Everyone who shows up to a death tournament is at least slightly evil, do we need the same good vs evil dynamic when everyones ripping heads off?

My complaint is gonna be I can't wait for all the YouTubers and influencers to get into the stress test while I'm on the sidelines as they get to play the game once again. 'Random' maybe the 5 spots you have left after you make sure all your influencers get in are random.
Am I the only person who irrationally hates the youtubers who feast on pre release hype, make videos speculating on info we all already know etc? One named tweedy said “ive never played mk9 but i think skarlet started there” i started with MK1 (the actual first one) so for a youtuber to treat mk9 as old school made me depressed af

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
Am I the only person who irrationally hates the youtubers who feast on pre release hype, make videos speculating on info we all already know etc? One named tweedy said “ive never played mk9 but i think skarlet started there” i started with MK1 (the actual first one) so for a youtuber to treat mk9 as old school made me depressed af
No I'm right there with ya.

Plop

Noob
But how????
I dunno, i just think it suits her. The scenes of her and Shao running around being all evil and lovey-dovey are some of my favourite moments of the entire franchise and I've been a fan since it's inception.

As an avid listener of the Netherkast, I've listened to this retcon being endlessly shat on and I totally get their reasons and why 99% of the fanbase didn't like it...

But I loved it lol

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
hope the stiff animation gets fixed on launch and it would look as smooth as it was in the 12 y/o mk9.
other than that i have no more complaints atm, don't even mind the game being on the slower side anymore so long as fun/versatile combo routes are available.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
I dislike everything about Fatal Blows, especially what I've seen in MK1. I dislike the super flash that looks like it's straight from Injustice, I dislike that it's health-related, I dislike how long they are and how much time they waste, I dislike how "clean" the X-Rays look now (I'm guessing this is to avoid youtube censorship), I dislike how they regenerate and pretty much guarantee we'll see two per match, and I dislike that big dumb explosion at the end. It's just ALL terrible.

Also, the Sindel retcon doesn't work in the old continuity OR the new NRS one since Sindel still had to be brainwashed by Kahn in MK9. It's fine to like evil Sindel, but there's no way to justify "she was evil all along" without admitting that you simply don't care about the character or the story.

... since Sindel still had to be brainwashed by Kahn in MK9.
On the official Discord, there's someone who has a good theory here.

Firstly, he suspects that between Mortal Kombat: Armageddon and Mortal Kombat (2011), there was already a Kronika time reset we never saw. This would explain the inconsistencies in Mortal Kombat (2011) not accounted for by Dark Raiden sending his memories back in time (i.e. the Lin Kuei working for Shang, Mileena being created during the Outworld tournament, etc.).

He asked Dominic Cianciolo if that were the case, and Dominic did not deny it (though he didn't confirm it either).

Assuming the above is correct, that means this is a different continuity proper from the Midway era of games. So in this continuity, Sindel was indeed a psychopath and murdered by Quan Chi in a fashion that looked like Sindel committed suicide.

When Quan resurrects her in Mortal Kombat (2011), he didn't brainwash her to be loyal to Shao (since in this continuity she already was), he brainwashed her to believe the "suicide" and cover up his murder of her.

Again, while not confirmed, it's a theory that does work out, and one I've come to subscribe to myself.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
I dislike everything about Fatal Blows, especially what I've seen in MK1. I dislike the super flash that looks like it's straight from Injustice, I dislike that it's health-related, I dislike how long they are and how much time they waste, I dislike how "clean" the X-Rays look now (I'm guessing this is to avoid youtube censorship), I dislike how they regenerate and pretty much guarantee we'll see two per match, and I dislike that big dumb explosion at the end. It's just ALL terrible.
I also hate the comeback mechanic. I used to argue during MK9 that X-Rays were, in theory, better than Ultras in SFIV because of the separate Revenge meter in SFIV. X-Rays being most devastating moves in the game, but also being tied to the universal resource currency, makes for more interesting meter management. Depending on the character/player, this could change how the game is played significantly.

I say, "in theory" because in execution, I assume it's just too messy to balance X-Rays within that same meter. In MK9, for example, there were only a few characters like Sub-Zero that needed to contemplate Enhanced move vs. Breaker vs. X-Ray. Most of the time, Enhanced move and Breaker were easily more valuable. This continued through MKX.

Messy or not, I'd rather they keep plugging away at trying to balance the meter that way rather than just create a passive, unmonitored route to your strongest move.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
On the official Discord, there's someone who has a good theory here.

Firstly, he suspects that between Mortal Kombat: Armageddon and Mortal Kombat (2011), there was already a Kronika time reset we never saw. This would explain the inconsistencies in Mortal Kombat (2011) not accounted for by Dark Raiden sending his memories back in time (i.e. the Lin Kuei working for Shang, Mileena being created during the Outworld tournament, etc.).

He asked Dominic Cianciolo if that were the case, and Dominic did not deny it (though he didn't confirm it either).

Assuming the above is correct, that means this is a different continuity proper from the Midway era of games. So in this continuity, Sindel was indeed a psychopath and murdered by Quan Chi in a fashion that looked like Sindel committed suicide.

When Quan resurrects her in Mortal Kombat (2011), he didn't brainwash her to be loyal to Shao (since in this continuity she already was), he brainwashed her to believe the "suicide" and cover up his murder of her.

Again, while not confirmed, it's a theory that does work out, and one I've come to subscribe to myself.
The issue with this theory is that you're doing the writing for the writers. There's also the fact that the writer(s) of MK11 and MK9 are different, so you cannot assume there is any coherent throughline of intent between those games. This theory also doesn't make sense because if Sindel was always evil and always in alignment with Shao-Kahn, there was no need to Quan-Chi to kill her in the first place. It's fine to prefer Sindel as an evil character, but there is no way to justify it in the games because she is an EXPLICITLY good person.

Furthermore, I believe it was Shawn Kittleson who said that if there are any continuity issues in MK11 it's because MK11 is actually not a direct sequel to MKX/9, but is instead an alternate timeline where things are different. If that's not the most bullshit, handwave-y, copout answer to criticism over bad writing, then I don't know what is. It's clear they really don't give a shit about the story, so if you're trying to make something make sense, then you're just wasting your time because they clearly put less thought into it than anyone theorizing about it online.

I don't want to ascribe intent to anyone, but I personally believe that one of the reasons behind MK1's rewriting of the story is to be able to avoid criticism over continuity issues, and to be able to write without being shackled to previous history/lore. Whether that's good or bad is up to you, but there's no denying that the NRS era storytelling is an absolute mess.

The issue with this theory is that you're doing the writing for the writers.
I see what you mean, but keep in mind back with the original trilogy, for example, all we had was some splash screen images and endings and the odd tie-in comic. As the player, a lot was left up to interpretation or impression and thus, you were doing a lot of the writing for Tobias.

There's also the fact that the writer(s) of MK11 and MK9 are different...
The writers have changed hands several times through the franchise, including during the Midway games.

... there was no need to Quan-Chi to kill her in the first place. It's fine to prefer Sindel as an evil character, but there is no way to justify it in the games because she is an EXPLICITLY good person.
There could have been a host a reasons. It's not like Quan and the NetherRealm are loyal to Shao. For Sindel, in this continuity, she's actually not a good person. In the previous continuity she was. Having said that, I'm impartial on whether she's good or evil.

Furthermore, I believe it was Shawn Kittleson who said that if there are any continuity issues in MK11 it's because MK11 is actually not a direct sequel to MKX/9, but is instead an alternate timeline where things are different.
I didn't hear that at all, and the game is clearly part of the modern trilogy.

... but I personally believe that one of the reasons behind MK1's rewriting of the story is to be able to avoid criticism over continuity issues, and to be able to write without being shackled to previous history/lore.
While that's possible, it's also likely they just wanted to do something different.

Anyway, for me, I just enjoy the story's and the fun of them. It's still the best storytelling for the genre today, though of course not up to the level of, say, a quality RPG. But my expectations for the genre and Mortal Kombat story-wise are different then other genres.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
there's no denying that the NRS era storytelling is an absolute mess.
It's crazy that it's so messy. This was their second attempt, but rather than having a few retcons here and there used for fixing old plotholes, or to fill gaps in the story, their retcons added more plotholes and didn't explain anything. And then they retconned some of their retcons creating a new layer of plotholes. The whole thing is just so crazy.

The best part of new story line is explaining why 10 dudes wear the same ninja outfit except with diff bright colors and yet dont like each other. Makes more sense having them all be in a rainbow gang together

I really wish they dont go for the same route of the first soft-rebot. I really like the MK9 idea but for me they got rid of all potential with Sindel killing everyone right next make a time jump on MKX, to me that feel so damn rushed.

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
Not really a “complaint” but questions as why the pc version still has no talk of a beta before pre release for the pc community to try out.

we have no idea how it’ll run on our rigs nor how the online will be.

And If I’m not mistaken I don’t think they’ve answered if pc will be involved in cross play..

For reference sf6 had pc included in ALL betas plus the open demo

tekken 8 has announced pc will be included in the technical test from the jump…so I’m a little confused on what’s going on.

hoping NRS can give us more info or at least let us try out the game

Not really a “complaint” but questions as why the pc version still has no talk of a beta before pre release for the pc community to try out.

we have no idea how it’ll run on our rigs nor how the online will be.

And If I’m not mistaken I don’t think they’ve answered if pc will be involved in cross play..

I bet its because PC version can be hacked and the roster will be extracted somehow

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
I bet its because PC version can be hacked and the roster will be extracted somehow
Which is wild to me, because MK9 had its entire story mode script leaked... because of the ps3 beta. Couldn't NRS just pump up a nice encryption so that the code looks all gibberish to someone who tries to hack into it? Also, was the SF6 roster already revealed before their PC beta? Or it was leaked? Or it wasn't announced and there were no leaks? I genuinely know nothing of SF6, someone help me out here lmao