What's new

Match-up Discussion Community Sonya MU Chart

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Im somewhat tired of people judging KLs bad matchups simply based on a character having a small hitbox/hurtbox.

No good KL just walks up and immediately goes into 1121, 24, 21, etc...

KL-Sonya is 5-5.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
Reptile vs Sonya could be closer to a 7-3 than a 6-4.

But I don't want to ensue a shit storm so 6-4...
Reasoning? I've never really had any trouble with Sonya. (Just her d4 :/) EX Forceballs work well, from a distance anyways.

vs Scorpion 7-3: His tools are simply not up the task. It would be 8-2 in my opinion if it weren't for the fact he can do some damage with Hell Fire, with the right spacing can stop her divekick with Spear, and the whole "slot machine" on vortex/void is character independent.

vs Sektor 6-4: The match migth seem even because Sektor can stop her footsies with Flame Burner (and with UM to an extent), has a faster jab, and he punishes hard. However, Sonya has a divekick and a small hurtbox. Try to Flame? Divekick to the face! AA attempt? Divekick to the face! Counter poke? Divekick to the face!

vs Kung Lao 6-4: Lao definitely has the tools to face her mano-a-mano, divekick to whiff punish, high and low hat to create distance when needed, mobile armor that can beat hers, his X-Ray. However, the fact she has a small hurtbox puts a dent on Lao's gameplan because it deprives him of his meter builiding and puts him at big risk.
her hitbox isnt that bad compared to other low htibox characters. standing 2 connects which is great.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I play reptile and scorp so I'll only vouch for the match ups vs them. I think they're accurate.

Sonya vs Liu Kang is 6-4 in favor of Sonya.

Last time I talked to XBlades he said that matchup was 5.5-4.5 in favor of Liu Kang. Not sure if he's since revised that or not.

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
I definitely agree that Sonya vs Rain is a 6/4 match-up. She has the slight advantage because of better air-control and pokes.

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
Death you wanna get a few games in? Sonya may be free against Freddy but I gotta see how free.

BTW Totally agree with the Raiden MU, stupid bitch can barely get wiff punished for that stupid cartwheel.

Shady

Noob
Death, okay, as promised, here are my 2c. Oh, and I can't do match-ups w/o .5s.....

Baraka: 6-4
Cage: 5-5
CSZ: 6.5-3.5
Cyrax: 6-4
Ermac: 5-5
Freddy: 4-6
Jade: 6-4
Jax: 5-5
Kabal: 3-7 (2-8 on larger stages)
Kano: 6.5-3.5
Kenshi: 3-7 (2-8 on larger stages)
Kitana: 6-4
Kung Lao: 6.5-3.5
Liu Kang: 6-4
Mileena: 7-3
Nightwolf: 8-2
Noob: 6-4
Quan Chi: 6.5-3.5
Raiden: 6.5-3.5
Rain: 6-4
Reptile: 6-4
Scorpion: 7-3
Sector: 6-4
Shang: 5-5
Sheeval: 7-3
Sindel: 6-4
Skarlet: 4-6
Smoke: 6-4
Stryker: 6-4
Sub-Zero: 5-5

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
Sonya is really that overpowered. The only one I question is the Rain MU, he is difficult to play footsies with, he has full armor on his Roundhouse Kick combo launcher which functions the same as Sonya's Ex Cartwheel and if he has extra meter he can Ex Bubble drain her meter into massive combos. He is just as ridiculous like Sonya, he's like safe on everything and you will only get lucky on a blocked Bubble or Lightning up close, good luck trying to punish his other strings and special moves up close.

People are sleeping on Rain, and Rain players don't know how lucky they are with this character compared to most.

NKZero

Noob
Death you don't have to take my opinion into consideration but I thought I'd share some of my thoughts if you don't mind :p.

I agree with Sonya beating Sektor 6-4. I'm not sure about Sub Zero though I'd say it is closer to 5-5 than 6-4 because Sub Zero has the tools to negate some of Sonya's armour for example, the corner game can be devastating and he has a fast D4 that helps.

Anyone care to explain how Sonya beats Sektor? Always thought it was even. If played right, he can outfootsy her.

I think Cage, Ermac and Sub are even, too.

NKZero

Noob
Anyone care to explain how Sonya beats Sektor? Always thought it was even. If played right, he can outfootsy her.

I think Cage, Ermac and Sub are even, too.
No Sonya has better footsies than Sektor. Plus she can negate some of his footsie tools with divekick. She has a very good zoning tool that slows down Sektor's zoning. Sektor also has a tough time getting rushdown characters off him and she is one of the best at that.

What saves him is his ability to punish her harder than most people and to somewhat limit her footsie game because he has good sweep range defensive tools. Things like B1 or B21 are important in this match-up. Oh and Sonya can give Sektor real problems on wake-up. Not to forget she has the best D4 in the game.

Delriach

Sindelly
I'll add something to this after MLG. We don't have any Sonya players in Chicago for me to really make an opinion and I fight them so rarely.

Sonya should not be top 5 if she has 2 3-7 Matchups, yet alone one.

as reo stated as well.

Is there a double standard?

Death

Noob
Sonya should not be top 5 if she has 2 3-7 Matchups, yet alone one.

as reo stated as well.

Is there a double standard?
The thing with Sonya is that she has so many 6-4 MUs in her favor and probably more 7-3s than people would like to admit. I do think shes top 5 but I dont think shes top 3 anymore like I used too. I actually think KL is top 3. Hes a better overall character and his tough MUs arent even that bad. He maybe has 1-2 bad MUs and their no worse than 4-6. Even though he doesnt have as many ADV MUs as Sonya does, I do think his bad MUs outweigh Sonyas and makes him a better character vs the whole cast than Sonya does imo. Sonya still obviously a beast and no Sonya player has even closely scratched the surface with her yet either so who knows.

MaceWind

Crazy 88
I agree with the Sonja v Kano numbers. From my experience, Kano has to rely on parlor tricks to beat Sonja. A patient Sonja will own Kano in every way imaginable. He can't zone her out because her projectile recovers faster and she overwhelms him up close with faster normals and of course her EX-cartwheel. At MLG Columbus, I played Morty as well as I think any Kano could play that MU. I went 0-3 against her. Just won a few rounds is all.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
It's possible that scorpion vs sonya is worse than 7-3.

My reasoning behind scorp vs sonya is the fact that scorpion cant do anything at all really. When it comes to long range (which any good sonya will prevent) scorpion can hellfire trade in his favor with rings, that's pretty much it for long range I'd say that's in scorpions favor.

Mid range scorpion really suffers and I've been saying this since the first time I played riu48's sonya back after that september patch. D+4 outranges all scorpions moves except B2 but the only way you're going to hit that B2 is if you throw it out on a guess and catch her out of d4, if you miss you most likely will lose the round. You can use hellfire from outside her D4 range and try to bait a jump for an AA spear but if sonya jumps from the correct range and dive kicks your spear will whiff and you probably lost the round. Not to mention you will probably lose the round if she jumps a hellfire correctly. This is a fucked up situation, not to mention if she just stays on the ground and moves in you are in trouble. One blocked D4 and you're going to eat a nice amount of chip while she builds a ton of meter.Scorpion has to guess everything while sonya can move in and do everything off of reactions. The only time the guessing game is even is when scorpion gets sonya in the vortex but even then she most likely will have enough meter to break.

This match is all types of fucked up. Up close all scorpion has to get her off is D1 and EX take down (EX take down fails though an EX spear is way too unreliable). After D1 hits she's still in your face with the threat of a safe armor cartwheel and a ton of other options. All scorpion can do after hitting a D1 is maybe 334 or d4 after which is extremely risky for the reward you get compared to what can potentially happen to you.

This is probably an 8-2 match for scorpion, it's worse than vs cage IMO.

Death Slips Evil_Riu48 MITDJT PimpUigi

I'd like to hear what you guys think about this match.

Btw I also think sonya vs reptile could be worse than 6-4. She has a great punisher for dash which is reptiles saving grace vs sonya because she out footsies him otherwise. Not to mention she can armor cartwheel through all his projectiles on reaction from mid range. Also max range if she gets a ring on screen first reptile cant throw anything out without taking damage.