What's new

Match-up Discussion Community Sonya MU Chart

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
That's exactly what I said, possibly closer to 7-3 than 6-4?
Yeah man there is no way it's a 6-4 I will never see that she does too much that counters him. 7-3 I could justify but I just don't think it's that bad because even though they are limited Reptile still has options.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
Death Sonya is just another cage minus the frame trap madness. Once she gets in, it's just a pain to get her out. I agree with you on the stryker matchup 6-4 in her favor. And sometimes it feels like 7-3. Gunshot and Gun cancel can only do so much. I believe stryker can stuff some of her wake up (not 100% sure)

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
She's 6-4 over Cage because this is one of the few matches that Cage is taking risks in his rushdown.
6-4 Over Kitana because her footsies are better, better projectile for the fight and can punish midscreen fans if she forces them with MSB2.

About the online offline Sonya arguement, try whiff punishing her D4 online -.-

AestheticLove

Staff Tier
I think sonya vs jade is 6-4. Jade can hang with sonya only when she has meter. Also its hard for jade to build meter because jade is playing keepaway.

KamikazeJD

Makes women fap
Ermac.. Man 6-4 at times seems like an understatement. Fighting against her is an upfield battle and you have to make every read a correct one. One wrong tkp and she armors or d4 to MS and shes in on you. She closes distance extremely well and our 'rushdown' game is essentially nullified by her armoring through strings. She zones better because of that ridiculous recovery on her projectile and her dive kick.... dont get me started on that fuckin dive kick..
Lol, but the fight isnt impossible. A patient ermac can outlast sonya. A patient sonya though... She makes this match ridiculous.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
vs Scorpion 7-3: His tools are simply not up the task. It would be 8-2 in my opinion if it weren't for the fact he can do some damage with Hell Fire, with the right spacing can stop her divekick with Spear, and the whole "slot machine" on vortex/void is character independent.

vs Sektor 6-4: The match migth seem even because Sektor can stop her footsies with Flame Burner (and with UM to an extent), has a faster jab, and he punishes hard. However, Sonya has a divekick and a small hurtbox. Try to Flame? Divekick to the face! AA attempt? Divekick to the face! Counter poke? Divekick to the face!

vs Kung Lao 6-4: Lao definitely has the tools to face her mano-a-mano, divekick to whiff punish, high and low hat to create distance when needed, mobile armor that can beat hers, his X-Ray. However, the fact she has a small hurtbox puts a dent on Lao's gameplan because it deprives him of his meter builiding and puts him at big risk.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
I'd think Liu vs. Sonya is 5-5. Liu might be able to zone her effectively, but he doesn't have any GTFO tools. I don't think its that hard to get in on Liu anyways.

Just my two cents.

Shady

Noob
I'll post mine tonight and tomorrow. Thanks for tagging me in this one man. Definitely good to have such extended talk about our very own Ms. Blade.

Z-911-Z

Bone and Metal
Yeah, I'm definitely not going to argue about Sonya being 7-3 against Kano. Once she's in, she's in and she's pretty much never leaving and her marvelous footsies completely wreck Kano's big heap of nothing at mid-screen.

I'd actually argue that it could be 8-2, since Kano's normals are just too damn slow to compete with someone like Sonya or Cage who have freaking lightspeed normals. If any character's going to walk all over him, it's the ones with godlike normals and close the distance quickly.

Also, if I may ask why do you think the Noob matchup is even? I never really got that, it's the same deal with Cage. You only need to blockdash maybe two shadows and you're in, now what does Noob do?

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Yeah, I'm definitely not going to argue about Sonya being 7-3 against Kano. Once she's in, she's in and she's pretty much never leaving and her marvelous footsies completely wreck Kano's big heap of nothing at mid-screen.

I'd actually argue that it could be 8-2, since Kano's normals are just too damn slow to compete with someone like Sonya or Cage who have freaking lightspeed normals. If any character's going to walk all over him, it's the ones with godlike normals and close the distance quickly.

Also, if I may ask why do you think the Noob matchup is even? I never really got that, it's the same deal with Cage. You only need to blockdash maybe two shadows and you're in, now what does Noob do?
Yea I have Sonya v Noob 6-4 in Sonya's favor. I don't know what Noob can do to overwhelm Sonya except zone. All she has to do is dash block..and then once she's in, and she will get in, hes done. Sonya just has to make sure she doesn't whiff anything, or she's gonna eat a shadow/teleport and then she has to chase him again.

I have it as 6-4 Sonya. But it could very well be 7-3 due to the fact that Sonya's armor beats Sheeva's armor most of the time.

Death

Noob
About the Sonya online/offline debate it really depends on the player. If the player just abuses the lag and does D1/D4~cartwheel its obvisouly harder to interrupt that online and if the person throws out D+4s like a crazy person than obviously it will favor them. But her combos are pretty tough to hit consistently especially her 45% bnb and her combos when you do MS F2 after cartwheel, that shit is a pain to hit online.