What's new

Community feedback: future balance issues

Even though we know nothing is finalized yet, I made this thread to get the communities' voice on the subject, with the thought to relay it back to NRS' development team.

My questions to the community are as follows: Based on what's been presented in video footage & demos, what concerns do you have in regards to balance and what adjustments would you make and why? And when it comes to patching, when and how often should it be done and why?

@colt @NRS_JEdwards

Spheris

Noob
It's too soon to talk balance, and it will still be too soon until 6 months after the game is released and people spend enough time in the laboratory figuring out things and strategies. After 6 months in, you can start talking very carefully about balance.

Patching for balance should be done once a year, after each EVO (not EVO 2015 in this case, but the consecutive ones), based on the tournaments results of the whole year and ONLY top players feedback.

E

Eldriken

It's too soon to talk balance, and it will still be too soon until 6 months after the game is released and people spend enough time in the laboratory figuring out things and strategies. After 6 months in, you can start talking very carefully about balance.

Patching for balance should be done once a year, after each EVO (not EVO 2015 in this case, but the consecutive ones), based on the tournaments results of the whole year and ONLY top players feedback.
Only top player feedback? Uh, that's not a good idea at all. They aren't the only players that can give valid and much needed feedback, you know.

Spheris

Noob
Only top player feedback? Uh, that's not a good idea at all. They aren't the only players that can give valid and much needed feedback, you know.
You're right about that, but what I mean is to only take advice from people that has spent time in the game and really knows what they're talking about, and I don't see any other way of doing this but taking advice only from top 8 players at tourneys, offline or online tourneys.

I wouldn't like to see any other Sub-Zero MK9 situation in MKX. It was sad to see that happening, because ignorance won knowledge.

Last edited:

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
They also shouldn't listen to (M2Dave voice) online scrubs. So there should be a middle ground.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
As far as I know, the jurisdiction behind NRS's patching comes down to how in line a move works as the designers foresee it. I.E. Kano's upball being an anti-air option rather than a spammable safe way out of pressure in close quarters. It's an admirable philosophy, but probably not the best in terms of where their priorities should lie.

Also I have no sympathy for "what happened" to Sub-Zero in MK9. Ain't my problem that Sub-Zero players banked the farm on playing a poor man's game of hide and seek. And I'll be here gloating when it turns out it doesn't work for Grandmaster Sub-Zero in MKX either. :DOGE

Mortal Komhat

Worst Well-Established Goro Player Ever
there's gonna be that one character that has an instant air fireball half the cast won't be able to deal with if we look at mk9 and igau.

other than that game will probably be fine. there'll be zoning rushdown footsies whatever the hell you crazy folks want.

DOOMSDAY-15RUS-

i'LL DESTROY YOU ALL
i just hope that people will not cry after the first week, because to learn really main character and all match ups need at least 2 mouths of practice, and to discover all character potential need much more, year or maybe years

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
I thought the general consensus was that if it's not your main, you cry to get them nerfed by any means neccessary

They also shouldn't listen to (M2Dave voice) online scrubs. So there should be a middle ground.
This community legitimate killed 2 characters and made 3-4 ridiculous ones. All online players did was get a barely noticeable change to Deathstroke

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
there's gonna be that one character that has an instant air fireball half the cast won't be able to deal with if we look at mk9 and igau.

other than that game will probably be fine. there'll be zoning rushdown footsies whatever the hell you crazy folks want.
Instant air fireballs by themselves aren't the problem. How they come into to play with said character's other tools is what should be assessed. Nobody would realistically have given any more of a fuck about Baraka if he was given an IAFB with all the best properties of the other IAFBs in the game.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
How can we give feedback on balances when the game isn't even out yet? Plus what we seen so far we don't even know if it will be in the final build. They've said this many times in the streams, things could change and nothing is final.

As far as how often they should patch things, I really hope they don't go the same route of neutering characters like they did scorpion because of outcry's. But it a thin line to walk because you also have casuals who make up the majority of the sales who might not want to deal with certain things.

ENDeverMORE

The incredible introvert
If people complaining about nerfing character X, or buffing character Y, make sure they understand number notations properly first, if not then disregard their scrubby complaints.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Noone but the testers will know what balance is in the first few months because tech has not been found, characters are not explored and matchups are not being played out.

Don't ask to nerf something fucked up only to discover that other chars also have fucked up tools and that the game was supposed to be played like that.

In Injustice, we have a character with the best air normals in the game, who has been buffed in every single patch ( and indirectly nerfed in a hotfix ) and is able to do 100% resets in the corner at just outside of bottom 5.

Mago for thought.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
NRS should have hired people to balance the game that don't compete, people who are experienced in balancing fighting games and have been doing it for years. David Sirlin's rebalance on Super Turbo with HD Remix should be proof that no matter how many years of tournament experience you have, it has no correlation to how well you can balance a game, even if it is the sae game you played for lik 15 years. Patch the game after Evo (preferably 2-3 months after) and only remove infinites and glitches like mike mentioned.

ando1184

Noob
I just hope that if they release dlc characters they give them the same patch treatment as everyone else. Give us time to learn and discover their ins n outs fully. Both mk9 and injustice, it seemed after the dlc came out they did less patching and in injustice the dlc characters now run the show bc of this.....I just don't wanna see another incomplete game again.

Only patch infinites and glitches. Balance the game after EVO
Fair point. Why should it get patched after Evo? And this is just a guess, but I thought maybe the near 300 people said to be testing the game, would leave it pretty balanced by it's release? Because I've asked what the process is for testing a fighting game before and no one ever replied.

Although I understand how 300 testers is different from putting a game in the hands of the rest of the world.

But I made this thread with the intention for everyone to allocate their critiques on character movement shown so far, into one thread (or OP if desired). Maybe they've seen move/s that in their opinion looks over powered for whatever reason. And I guess in some way I'm trying to avoid a broken tier character like Kabal for example, that never got fully patched.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
I thought the general consensus was that if it's not your main, you cry to get them nerfed by any means neccessary

This community legitimate killed 2 characters and made 3-4 ridiculous ones. All online players did was get a barely noticeable change to Deathstroke
K good point.