What's new

General/Other - Commando Commando Variation Discussion Thread

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
The f4-rc-b13. How do you test to ensure that your run cancel is frame perfect and that a Lao player can't spam EX spin after the hit and punish you for it?
I can't tbh, but I tried it a few times and the EX won't even come out. Even so, most jails don't include armor.

I can't tbh, but I tried it a few times and the EX won't even come out. Even so, most jails don't include armor.
Ok, I just tested it against Cassie, recording Kano doing f4-rc-b13, then forced her to take the hit and spammed an armoured flip. It doesn't come out. Her only option is to block.

If something is a true block string, it means by definition it can not be armored out of. The only thing you can do is block.

And yeah, you can just record the string and try to armor through it. I'm pretty sure it is true if you do it right

Also do you OS the forward dash after hit f4? I think reacting to whether f4 hit or not and dashing on the first neutral frame would be tough to do. If you do it any later you are - right next to the opponent... Good luck with that one lol

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
It's a little tricky; but I've just been getting used to confirming it. Miss it sometimes; but oh well. I was just tired of ALWAYS going for F4xxChoke and it just whiffing (even if Miharo found that youre safe after whiffing). Seems like the type of thing you should just only mix in if it's going to whiff often to catch people unaware or whatever.

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
You can do the same thing with b1 on hit. I found that one better cause it puts you in range with out having to run. B1 onhit lets you do anything you want next and they have to hold it. I had found a set up with cyber that was solid.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
The f4-rc-b13. How do you test to ensure that your run cancel is frame perfect and that a Lao player can't spam EX spin after the hit and punish you for it?
The best thing to do to test that in my opinion (this was the method I used to test Ancestral Kung Jin's arrow load cancel frame data anyway) is to have the ai perform the move and you hold up so you jump the first moment you're out of hitstun. Now that you know when the hitstun finishes try as accurately as you can to perform the move on the first frame you're out of hitstun (that you recognised by jumping before). Spamming doesn't really help because it takes you more than one frame to input a move so you could be inputting it on the last frame of hitstun or the second frame out of hitstun.

The best thing to do to test that in my opinion (this was the method I used to test Ancestral Kung Jin's arrow load cancel frame data anyway) is to have the ai perform the move and you hold up so you jump the first moment you're out of hitstun. Now that you know when the hitstun finishes try as accurately as you can to perform the move on the first frame you're out of hitstun (that you recognised by jumping before). Spamming doesn't really help because it takes you more than one frame to input a move so you could be inputting it on the last frame of hitstun or the second frame out of hitstun.
Thanks Youphie

Anyone have tips for the Grandmaster mu? Played @UsedForGlue and that MU seems butt cheeks for commando.
I've been told by Sub players to throw more knives to shatter their clones and halt their keep away game, but I think they may be overestimating the strength of Commando's projectiles, perhaps putting them on par with cyber (who apparently does ok in this match up).

In my experience, Sub's clones and slender girl's hurt box shut down a lot of Commando's options. Go CT or Cyber.

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
absolutely just go cyber. The only other tip I can give is to play the MU like he always has a clone up or will always throw one out on WU. An actual good GM will likely vary this up and go for slide on wakeup if he reads you backing off. But like.... for real. Don't even bother commando in this MU; it's one of the few I actually switch for.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Anyone have tips for the Grandmaster mu? Played @UsedForGlue and that MU seems butt cheeks for commando.
Its cheeks for a lot of the cast. Some characters can't do anything about it, no matter the skill level of the Grandmaster player.

If you can't armour through the klone cancels, or if you can't do anything to stop it without meter, its a bad match. If you have both of those issues, you then you are fucked. For example, Kotal Blood God and Sun God.

Yeah... GM sub zero is one of the MUs I refuse to play commando against. (Cyber has a way easier time)

You have to use knives on reaction to clone. Outside of that.. Just play the zoning war and try to get him to approach. Use ex ball and air kano ball to get in on reaction to clone/ice ball. Then run the mixup game

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Its cheeks for a lot of the cast. Some characters can't do anything about it, no matter the skill level of the Grandmaster player.

If you can't armour through the klone cancels, or if you can't do anything to stop it without meter, its a bad match. If you have both of those issues, you then you are fucked. For example, Kotal Blood God and Sun God.
Lets run Cyber vs GM soon.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
How good is d4 command grab on block? If someone blocks d4 how can they escape the command grab?
Backdash, armor, take the hit, and I think jump(not too sure but it should work).

And D4 command grab is definitely the best tick throw option he has.

RyuuJin882

Twitch.tv/ryuujin882
Backdash, armor, take the hit, and I think jump(not too sure but it should work).

It's his best option and it can be backdashed and jumped out of? That makes me not want to play Commando...

it pretty damn is. best is to stay just out of slide range, Zone with knifes and punish whiffed slides with 32. you can block before you trade with ice most of the time. you can also go for reads on low parry just in slide range. make sure you never get cornered. if you are cornered, dont block but parry. guessing wrong is bad anyway and you will get more from a parry.

It's his best option and it can be backdashed and jumped out of? That makes me not want to play Commando...
It won't be backdashed on reaction, unless you use a traditional tick instead of a cancel. It can be option selected also, making it a very powerful tactic. Mixing your pokes up with a choke cancel will dissuade jumpers, etc.

D1 is also a very good tick. You sacrifice range and start up time, but you gain more hit advantage and a grab regardless of whether they block high or low. It also has a slight edge over D4 in that there is no range that the option select will whiff, whereas D4 absolute max range can cause a problem, and it also ticks into both grabs, not just rib breaker.

Last edited:

Jump works, even though you can end a juggle with a command grab. Don't quite understand how that works on a technical level. If anybody does, I'm interested to know.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
It won't be backdashed on reaction, unless you use a traditional tick instead of a cancel. It can be option selected also, making it a very powerful tactic. Mixing your pokes up with a choke cancel will dissuade jumpers, etc.

D1 is also a very good tick. You sacrifice range and start up time, but you gain more hit advantage and a grab regardless of whether they block high or low. It also has a slight edge over D4 in that there is no range that the option select will whiff, whereas D4 absolute max range can cause a problem, and it also ticks into both grabs, not just rib breaker.
also d1 choke cathes jumps