What's new

General/Other - Commando Commando Variation Discussion Thread

Wait, its not character specific, its based on the special used. What the fuck lol. This is so inconsistent. How does the game determine if rib breaker can be comboed from grounded opponents?

Another issue I've run into, you can't punish any of Kung Lao's spins on block with any command grab but choke. It whiffs during his recovery. You can punish with normals obviously, but if they have meter to break its nice to have an option for breaker immune damage.

Last edited:

Icarus

Need a Light?
I've been doing mostly Cybernetics Kano, but I'm thinking I'm gonna have to give Commando a try. Those are some tasty throws!

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
Anybody got any experience against Bojutsu KJ? I feel outclassed in every part of the game against him - I guess right, I get 20%, he guesses right, he gets 40+. Crushes Kano in neutral, isn't scared at all of his knives, has good answers on wakeup and is basically never forced to spend his meter so he can always armor. Any solutions?

Rager Da Prince

I can't help my Fiction addiction.
From what's been gathered so far he can counter pretty much anything thats not a projectile or true jump in, and some vertical ports like Goro stomp. So go head and let them burn that meter on wake up. :D

Edit: Also he can't counter backwards, so if you have scorpion-esque port to deal with, its better to anticipate this and punish accordingly.
He can counter backwards. It looks weird but he will turn around and still counter the teleport.

Edit: the 2nd post tells all teleports that can countered.

Brutal Chimney

vaporus punching bag
i feel like ive gotten better with his command grabs. messing with the inputs didn't help much instead im pressing the pad differently now. kinda hurts my knuckle but the reward is worth it.

If you have issues with the command grab inputs, turn off negative edge and hold down the button as you input the last direction.

For example, you would do dbf+(hold) 4. It makes a huge difference for me.

Gengar

Hypnosis > Dreameater (its a reset)
Just tested some more on the counter hit special move. Command throws will only link if a special move is whiffed or blocked. You CANNOT link it if you hit the person before their special move comes out (I.E, them trying to throw a projectile and you stuff it).
does this work on normals too? in my example i def didnt block anything, i had to have hit him out of something. It would make sense if counterhit applied for hitting an opponent trying to push buttons. Hitting someone during recovery frames and getting counterhit sounds great, but more research is likely needed. Who knows, maybe this is accidental and will be patched out.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
does this work on normals too? in my example i def didnt block anything, i had to have hit him out of something. It would make sense if counterhit applied for hitting an opponent trying to push buttons. Hitting someone during recovery frames and getting counterhit sounds great, but more research is likely needed. Who knows, maybe this is accidental and will be patched out.
Only special moves unfortunately, I tried whiff punishing normals and blocking them and I couldn't get the command throw to link.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
Anybody up to the task of writing out some BNBs I can put in the OP?
NJP, walk slightly forward, 32, 112~command throw (30% for both throws)

EX Kano ball Cancel, dash forward, njp, R/C~32, 112~command throw (28%, great for if you know your opponent is gonna do something on your wake up.

anti-air 1, R/C~32, 112~command throw (30%)

Gengar

Hypnosis > Dreameater (its a reset)
Only special moves unfortunately, I tried whiff punishing normals and blocking them and I couldn't get the command throw to link.
yeah i found the same with normals, however i was able to snuff specials as opposed to blocking them. I both blocked, jumped over and hit after it was active, as well as just threw shit out and snuffed it way early in start up and it allowed me to link the command throw. I was doing this against quan with skydrop and trance. might be move dependant

Additionally the counterhit state lasts the whole combo, so midscreen if you block a port you can use the ex ball cancel to get some extra meaty damage, around 30%, but if you can get the tight execution on the RC njp combo off the ball cancel then thats more damage and no counterhit required.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
What the hell does and doesn't work on parry...it's so random for me
What do you mean? Give an example of what you're trying to parry. High parry beats mids/highs and low parries beats...lows. High parry also beats special moves (as listed in like the second post) and also counters regular 1+3 throw.

What do you mean? Give an example of what you're trying to parry. High parry beats mids/highs and low parries beats...lows. High parry also beats special moves (as listed in like the second post) and also counters regular 1+3 throw.
Erron blacks drop kick f4..my high counter didn't seem to work

really think I'm onto something with command kano...

right now I'm destroying people less skilled then me as he seems to eat noobies up...armouring command grabs and parrying, most noobs just can't deal with

however struggling with similar skilled opponents....I seem to only get 20% chunks of damage in at a time where as some else will punish me for a 35 plus combo...

you have to be really consistent with commando I feel since you lack crazy combos

what strategies are people here employing ?

demosz

Noob
Something I like to do in the corner when I played grapplers in SF4 was "faking" normals with too long of startup as I was coming down from a jump. Seeing my character start their animation that low to the ground usually made my opponent want to just keep blocking, and then I'd command grab on the first possible moment when I hit the ground, catching their block.

I've been trying this with forward jumping 4. It comes out with a bit of delay, and seeing Kano lift his foot in the air for a brief moment might be enough to keep your opponent blocking for a bit to sneak in a grab.

Viridian7

Ear to Ear.
Anybody got any experience against Bojutsu KJ? I feel outclassed in every part of the game against him - I guess right, I get 20%, he guesses right, he gets 40+. Crushes Kano in neutral, isn't scared at all of his knives, has good answers on wakeup and is basically never forced to spend his meter so he can always armor. Any solutions?
He's a problem. There's a reason he was represented x2 in the fatal 8 out of so many character variation choices. I think you simply have to be better at the mind games. Bojutsu probably give a lot of characters issues right now. :/ cyber probably has it better against him. I've been lucky enough to not run into any good KJs yet so not much I can offer yet.

demosz

Noob
I'm having trouble just landing command grabs. Every time I try it wiffs.
How are you trying to land your grabs? I've had the most success off empty jump ins, jump in attack +tick into grab, and Run Canceling an EX Grab to give them more range.

And then of course I use them after my opponent blocks my pokes to eat up their counter pokes.

My favorite setups are f4 and b1->3. If you connect with either of these, you have enough advantage to tick into a throw. They also cover great range, and leave you at 0 or something negligible on block, so you still have time to spend meter on a grab to eat their counter attack.

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
How are you trying to land your grabs? I've had the most success off empty jump ins, jump in attack +tick into grab, and Run Canceling an EX Grab to give them more range.

And then of course I use them after my opponent blocks my pokes to eat up their counter pokes.

My favorite setups are f4 and b1->3. If you connect with either of these, you have enough advantage to tick into a throw. They also cover great range, and leave you at 0 or something negligible on block, so you still have time to spend meter on a grab to eat their counter attack.
I try to poke using d1 to get them to commit to block, but I notice my fighter pushes back and whiffs when they block d1. When using d3 I noticed a better result command grabbing. But I'm also using the Xbox d-pad unfortunately,so I'm having trouble pulling it off consistently.

demosz

Noob
I try to poke using d1 to get them to commit to block, but I notice my fighter pushes back and whiffs when they block d1. When using d3 I noticed a better result command grabbing. But I'm also using the Xbox d-pad unfortunately,so I'm having trouble pulling it off consistently.
I'm on ps4 dpad so I can't help you there ;w;

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
I'm trying to think about a way to develop an oki flowchart to put in the OP. I feel like there might be too much character specific information to make that possible, but it'd be nice to get down our best ways to blow up universal options (how we punish people for backdashing on wakeup, make them stay on the ground to eat a throw, etc).

Hello Lovelies!

Here's some tech that I was messing around with earlier. It may have been discovered already, but I hope it helps someone. At least conceptually, it seems sound.

Let me know what you guys think! Details are in the description of the video.