What's new

General/Other - Commando Commando Variation Discussion Thread

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
So apparently if you block a special move that you can punish (I.E, Sub-Zero slide, or Scorpion teleport) you can actually do any string into a command throw and it'll hit WHILE THEY'RE STILL STANDING.

I found this out while playing one of my friends, I mis-inputted rib cage strike when he did a bad teleport and it still linked. :REO

Rager Da Prince

I can't help my Fiction addiction.
So apparently if you block a special move that you can punish (I.E, Sub-Zero slide, or Scorpion teleport) you can actually do any string into a command throw and it'll hit WHILE THEY'RE STILL STANDING.

I found this out while playing one of my friends, I mis-inputted rib cage strike when he did a bad teleport and it still linked. :REO
Thank you so much. I keept doing this when I was learning about the counters. I didn't want to post misinformation.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
So wait, counterhits are actually a thing in MKX? :eek:

Viridian7

Ear to Ear.
Hi all! Just joined so I can be part of the Commando Kano main community and help us all make Com Kano look good (Or if NRS is reading this, bad, very bad, he needs buffz). Anywho I wanted to post some musings I had on the utility of air ball as it applies to Kano. We have no true overhead string, and it's the first week and we've all seen the posts of "omg evury1 blocks low i cant punish". You'd think that Kano in a neutral jump is a huge telegraph of impending only way of overhead. Especially after a KD where we get to play our oki game. Since we know that Air ball from close range crosses up, it can possibly mess with inputs, and also get people antsy to stuff, making them more susceptible to being baited into a high counter. Has anyone tested if we can do a safe air ball cross to punish uppercuts?

Just some thoughts on progressing to make the most of our tools. :D

On a side note, also noticed a lot of pointing out how we don't have the flashy high damage combos of other characters, and while I'd like to see one of our throws be MB combo extender, gotta remember that while we don't do it all at once a pair of tick throws will push easily into the high 30%'s of damage, while at the same time make people anxious to spam wake up, into our waiting, manly Kano arms.

Anyways, nice to meet everyone and I look forward to being the representatives of this character with you all. :D

Brutal Chimney

vaporus punching bag
Commando trades big dammage for consistent dammage or he would if I could consistently hit the command throws -_-

I'm going to see if any of the control options can help me out. I'm used to half circles and analog so this down,left,right stuff is really messing with me.

Viridian7

Ear to Ear.
Commando trades big dammage for consistent dammage or he would if I could consistently hit the command throws -_-

I'm going to see if any of the control options can help me out. I'm used to half circles and analog so this down,left,right stuff is really messing with me.
In that case I would really consider using the alternate controls options that bring the diagonal rolling motions into the mix. I know a lot of people making the switch also find that they pull things off easier if they turn off release check.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now

If you treat it like a half circle backwards then forward it will still register the move, try it out.

Btw it brings a tear to my eye to see that you guys are already finding all of this stuff with commando! i worked hard on this variation.

Brutal Chimney

vaporus punching bag
Yeah was going to try changing it when I got home today. not sure why I've waited so long as I've lost so many matches becuase of that.

Viridian7

Ear to Ear.
I´m new in Command Kano... can he parry enhanced or armored moves? Thanks ;)
From what's been gathered so far he can counter pretty much anything thats not a projectile or true jump in, and some vertical ports like Goro stomp. So go head and let them burn that meter on wake up. :D

Edit: Also he can't counter backwards, so if you have scorpion-esque port to deal with, its better to anticipate this and punish accordingly.

Gengar

Hypnosis > Dreameater (its a reset)

yeah ive had this happen to me before too, is it only on punish on whiffed/blocked specials or is it for normals too? when I had it happen to me i threw out 112 but only the 2 hit into rib breaker, idk what the opponent was trying to do on wake up tho, be it a special or just throwing out normals. either way tho, counterhits in mkx is awesome, curious if other characters can do it too

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
My execution is still too poor to take commando Kano into the field. I'll be there soon though.

But from what I've seen so far I think people need to focus less on squeaking out damage with ball cancels etc. I'm focusing on using meter for damaging throws with armor, as well as positioning, and conditioning with normals to set it up. Tick throws next, super important! Parry will be the last piece to punish habits and/or button pushers. I can see him being a scrubs nightmare in the right hands.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
Just tested some more on the counter hit special move. Command throws will only link if a special move is whiffed or blocked. You CANNOT link it if you hit the person before their special move comes out (I.E, them trying to throw a projectile and you stuff it)

Also side note, we all realize how small Commando's throw range right? If you R/C into a command throw, you'll have Lackey Torr's throw range. The execution is pretty tough but the throw range is Kreygasm.

LEGI0N47

Just tested some more on the counter hit special move. Command throws will only link if a special move is whiffed or blocked. You CANNOT link it if you hit the person before their special move comes out (I.E, them trying to throw a projectile and you stuff it)

Also side note, we all realize how small Commando's throw range right? If you R/C into a command throw, you'll have Lackey Torr's throw range. The execution is pretty tough but the throw range is Kreygasm.
Im getting choke to connect easily on raw combos, and i'm ok with that since it's an easy hit confirm. Corner carry, damage, a bit of swag, minor opponent humiliation combined with witty Kano comments. have too look at the advantage frames though.

Viridian7

Ear to Ear.
Im getting choke to connect easily on raw combos, and i'm ok with that since it's an easy hit confirm. Corner carry, damage, a bit of swag, minor opponent humiliation combined with witty Kano comments. have too look at the advantage frames though.
I've also been getting choke to connect pretty consistently. Even off nj bounce into a 112-choke in juggle state. (At least in corner, needs testing mid)

LEGI0N47

I've also been getting choke to connect pretty consistently. Even off nj bounce into a 112-choke in juggle state. (At least in corner, needs testing mid)
I've done that combo mid. It's pretty cake. Pay attention to the gravity though or you can miss. But I've connected all cmd grabs off a njp. Just make sure your positioning is good. I was referring to standing. 112 & b31 connect to choke just fine.

Brutal Chimney

vaporus punching bag

R/C?

I noticed that rib breaker will not combo on all blocked specials. You can't combo from erron's slide or Kitana's throat slice.

Unfortunately this looks character specific. Jacquis' forces rush on block can't be punished with any combo into rib breaker. Command grab whiffs. Idk if its a bug or what.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9158

Commando Kano is the shit. I started playing him today and he's a ton of fun

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
Anybody up to the task of writing out some BNBs I can put in the OP?
Midscreen Meterless

112 > Choke
B+1,3 > Choke
B+3, 1 xx Choke

Corner Meterless

B+3, 1, 2 > 3,2 > 1,1 > 1,1,2 Grab that bitch

That's all I got right now. Currently my midscreen game is fucked and I don't have too many 1 bar midscreen combos outside of 1,1,2 > Ex ball (cancel) B+1, 3 > Choke. Been using all my meter to armor command grabs and ex ball for anti-zoning, and knifes because hype.

I need to get a ps4 and this game so I don't have such limited practice