What's new

Command Grab - Bomb Trap PATCH?

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Hi Guys.

I have been playing alot with Cyrax online on xbox360, I have been using the command grap bomb trap, and a few guys i have used it against think it will be patched?

Can anyone here find any truth to that?

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Jay

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
I think Tom brady said something about it being patched in the next patch or something, don't quote me on that, since I don't know if it's true/if it's from the right guy.

Eight

I am the salt
I dont know why they'd patch it, all of cyrax's good combos come off of the command grab bomb trap.

If they do, Cyrax is going to be gimped as fuck. :grave:

Sporko

Noob
Thanks, DaiHuu. Jaxel is currently uploading videos of the stream now, and soon both the videos of loser's finals, where Long Island Joe's Cyrax beats Tom Brady in loser's finals, AND the video of an extremely petty, salty Tom Brady commentating on grand finals, will be available on his youtube page

http://www.youtube.com/user/Jaxelrod

Tom Brady really disappointed me tonight, in more than one way. I'd heard rumors he was a very salty loser but I'd never seen it until tonight. Tom Brady is an *amazing* player but he was extremely petty upon losing, blaming his controller, the console (claiming the x-box was already patched to fix what beat him, but that the PS3 wasn't because PSN was down (which, correct me if I'm wrong, does not prevent patches from being downloaded), and claiming, immediately after his loss, that he could beat LIJoe 20-0 if they played again ((not sure if that part will be uploaded)).

I believe it was during Grand Finals that he claimed the next patch would remove Cyrax's ability to do the bomb trap. I'm strongly hoping he was just speaking out of frustration and bitterness, and that's not correct, as losing bomb trap is the difference between Cyrax being top 6 and Cyrax being bottom 6, imho.

So you're saying an offline PS3 is going to download an update from PSN? When would this occur, when booting up the game? I have yet to see anything of the sort on my PS3, even when playing a game I know has received plenty of attention with PSN offline.

Sporko

Noob
I wasn't saying anything of the sort. It's not as if this patch went live a few hours ago, during the tournament, and seeing as how most tourney consoles, in my experience, are just personal consoles that people bring to tourneys to support the scene, it likely would have been hooked up to PSN within the last day or two.

More importantly, however, don't you think if the bomb trap had been taken out on x-box live at any point recently, whether it head been a week ago or even yesterday morning, that somebody would have posted here, or on SRK, that this had occurred? I imagine it would have been pretty big news if a character's primary means of offense was removed, at least big enough news where one person would have posted it somewhere.

Sporko

Noob
I'm sorry, I'd like to apologize, while Jaxel did say the videos from tonight/last night's tournament would be uploaded to his youtube page, I was hasty in stating that he was in the middle of uploading them tonight.

I'd checked his youtube page and saw that videos have been in the process of being uploaded after the last few hours and assumed they were videos from tonight, but they appear to be videos from a previous tournament. I'm sure they will be uploaded at some point in the next few days, though.

Entirely my fault for jumping the gun, I apologize.

They are up, I just watched the LIJoe and Tom Brady match.

Tom did seem off his game, which could have been due to a controller issue. If I was having issues with my controller, I would probably comment on it. Whether or not, it is probably difficult to commentate after losing. As time passed during the GF, you could tell Tom began to commentate more. Not saying LIJoe isn't good, but Tom Brady has looked 10x better. Obviously if you're playing someone good you look more like a scrub, but Tom Brady wasn't on the same game he was when he played PL for PowerUP.

Being a Cyrax main, I don't enjoy the idea of the command bomb being taken out, but it probably should be. It seems a bit buggish, and doesn't seem like something they intended. It will take away from the effectiveness of Cyrax, but it only seems fair. (Note, this IS coming from a Cyrax only player... so i'm not just saying that because I think he is too strong.)

Tom Brady is still a beast, regardless. Had LIJoe not switched to Cyrax, I don't feel he would have won. (Obviously just speculation, but he used the command throw more than i've seen anyone use it yet. One would assume that without it, he wouldn't have been as dominant).

Good fights either way, and props to LIJoe and Reo for GF.

Sporko

Noob
I'd have to disagree. Bomb trap seems to me to have been something intentionally implemented, otherwise the ridiculously long hit stun of the command throw (let alone their decision to give Cyrax the game's only non x-ray command throw) seems completely arbitrary and without purpose.

Given what most characters in this game are capable of, reducing damage of the bomb trap to the 35-40% damage that seems to be the standard for meterless combos (which could be done by means of simply drastically reducing command throw damage and either adding additional damage scaling to bombs or simple reducing damage of either bomb or b+2) would seem to be a far more reasonable solution than simply removing a character's primary means of offense.

Edit: And they *were* good fights, no question. Everybody involved in the top 3 had extremely entertaining matches.

in regards to patches, i just recieved a patch for mass effect 2, while not connected to psn.
taking away cyrax's bomb trap will lose a hell of a lot more cyrax players, then taking away smoke's otg.

Eight

I am the salt
I definitely agree with sporko, the command bomb should not be removed. It doesn't seem buggish at all to me.

Realistically, the command bomb combos only go to 30-40% meterless. If you watch LIJoe or any other high-level Cyrax, their combos don't get up to the insane levels reached in the lab. I dont think theres a need for a nerf at all, nobody pulls that shit off in tourneys. The command bomb combos really are on a pretty even level with most other characters' combos.

Tom Brady is still a beast, regardless. Had LIJoe not switched to Cyrax, I don't feel he would have won. (Obviously just speculation, but he used the command throw more than i've seen anyone use it yet. One would assume that without it, he wouldn't have been as dominant).
Obviously, LIJoe felt the same, which is why he switched. Its a perfectly valid thing to do. Of course he used the command grab quite a bit, its Cyrax's main offense and using it often is totally analogous to frequent use of any characters' combo starters, exactly like Sub-Zero's iceball or Kung-Lao's spin. Its just one of those moves that is used alot because its effective and can always lead to a combo. It really is not cheap or glitchy.

Edit: Here are the videos we're talking about

LIJoe vs. EMP Tom Brady

Brady commentating on Reo vs. LIJoe (this is where Brady makes his excuses and such)

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
I've had controllers break in the middle of fights and had to use a controller I wasn't familiar with.. You would be surprised how big of an impact that has on your game. I honestly doubt he was making excuses, but the bomb trap in general I dislike. The shit is insanely annoying, and if I kept getting trapped in the fight I'd be frustrated too.

What he said at the start of commentary was out of anger. He isn't a sore loser or a person to make excuses. As the Reo LI Joe match continued he began calming down and started calling the match like he should have.

He even said no one is unbeatable. Besides his 20-0 win remark was out of anger, but if you don't go to a tournament ready to win then there's no point in ever leaving the house. He's a competitive dude. He's been in three tournaments the past week. Traveled an ass load and slept very little. I'd be irritable too.

You gotta respect everything he's doing for this game. He has a major role in the community, and all of this is unhealthy. You know he's gonna be stressed out from all the airport bullshit and lack of sleep.

I'm just saying get to know someone personally before you make assumptions. You'd be surprised. Hell with everything he's done so far he deserves a giant tirade of bitching. He's earned it.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I hope they don't patch it, but Tom says they will. Not much else to say.

nubi

Noob
Obviously, LIJoe felt the same, which is why he switched. Its a perfectly valid thing to do. Of course he used the command grab quite a bit, its Cyrax's main offense and using it often is totally analogous to frequent use of any characters' combo starters, exactly like Sub-Zero's iceball or Kung-Lao's spin. Its just one of those moves that is used alot because its effective and can always lead to a combo. It really is not cheap or glitchy.
^ this, also remember you can tech out of the command throw. Brady had multiple opportunities to escape but didn't due to pad, nerves, stress w/e and after that 3rd round looks like he cracked, no disrespect to the guy though hes a great player and I'm sure he is under a tone of pressure to perform well, cant be easy.

Eight

I am the salt
I've had controllers break in the middle of fights and had to use a controller I wasn't familiar with.. You would be surprised how big of an impact that has on your game. I honestly doubt he was making excuses, but the bomb trap in general I dislike. The shit is insanely annoying, and if I kept getting trapped in the fight I'd be frustrated too.

What he said at the start of commentary was out of anger. He isn't a sore loser or a person to make excuses. As the Reo LI Joe match continued he began calming down and started calling the match like he should have.

He even said no one is unbeatable. Besides his 20-0 win remark was out of anger, but if you don't go to a tournament ready to win then there's no point in ever leaving the house. He's a competitive dude. He's been in three tournaments the past week. Traveled an ass load and slept very little. I'd be irritable too.

You gotta respect everything he's doing for this game. He has a major role in the community, and all of this is unhealthy. You know he's gonna be stressed out from all the airport bullshit and lack of sleep.

I'm just saying get to know someone personally before you make assumptions. You'd be surprised. Hell with everything he's done so far he deserves a giant tirade of bitching. He's earned it.
Of course, we all get that, and I know nobody meant any disrespect to Tom Brady, I definitely did not, he is an excellent player, but his remarks were out of line nonetheless. Thats all I'm saying.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
I have so much respect for Tom Brady, he does so much for the community and pushes the games level of play up very high, and shares that knowledge with everyone instead of keeping it to himself, yes he did become a victim of his own bomb trap, but his attitude and remarks were completely out of line, I was shocked.

Yes, getting caught in the grab everytime can be frustrating, but the majority of the time the grab came after the net, so all he had to do was tech out of the grab, and make cyrax use meter and juggle for less damage.

But if they are going to patch the move and reduce the advantage, then they may aswell get rid of it altogether. What is stopping you from doing the grab, doing a jump punch, having it blocked for another free grab, so all the can do is, block the jump punch and get grabbed again, or not block and have a combo started.

It needs to stay and people need to just deal with it.

sttacos

Noob
the bomb trap shouldnt be patched, the only way around it i can think of is breaking the grab. other than that, it should be in there. If anything is to be done to cyrax, maybe tone down the damage output u get from the trap, that would make more sense than taking the trap out all together

The bomb trap is cool, but it doesn't belong in this game. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it's the only unblockable reset in the game, which is what makes it OP. It would be great in a game like Marvel vs Capcom where half the fun is figuring out unblockable mixups and traps, but it's completely out of place here.

I'm really disappointed to see Tom so salty, because I thought he was a much calmer person than that. "Win a major in your life and then talk to me," he reminds me of Shooter McGavin. The best part is that Tom was doing a quick Q&A with the stream chatters before the tourney, and when someone asked him about the bomb trap he said that it shouldn't be patched, claiming that "Cyrax needs something like that."

Eight

I am the salt
How does it not belong in the game? You can tech the grab to stop it. You can naked crouch and it'll whiff, then you can punish easily. Its not THAT fast, and the range on it isn't very good either. It isn't the invincible sure-kill technique everyone is making it out to be.

The arguments against the grab in here amount to:
I can't do anything about it, so it needs to be taken out. :salty:

Just practice more and stop crying for it's removal.

1. the rumor about the bomb patch i did not hear from nrs, it was just that.. a rumor.

2. i like the bomb trap and want it to stay in.

3. i never eeeeeeeeeeeeevr said if we were on the xbox that something is different.

5. i see you guys trying to blow me up on here, thats cool.. do what you guys want. just remember.. do you guys know how ppl found out about the bomb trap? i posted it day 1 and went in depth about it. i like it and think it has to stay.

Eight

I am the salt
5. i see you guys trying to blow me up on here, thats cool.. do what you guys want. just remember.. do you guys know how ppl found out about the bomb trap? i posted it day 1 and went in depth about it. i like it and think it has to stay.
Yo, like I said earlier, none of us meant any disrespect to you, man. You're a great player and a boon to the community. You apologized for what you said about LIJoe like a man and thats where it should end. We're all human.

You should also probably take better care of yourself, dude. Just saying :).