What's new

Colored Version Of Ultimate Battler Achievement!

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Lars and Bob say Hi

Tekken's cast has been built up over like 10 games now and each game in the series has had a very clearly defined top tier. Creating 50 brand new guys right out of the gate would be a balancing nightmare. See: MvC3.
Tekken tag 2 is balanced as fuck, if you think Lars and Bob are OP then you're probably ass or you don't know how to fight them.

I bet you think Christie and Eddy are OP too.

And this is coming from a guy who mains Marduk.

---

Anyway, the only thing that's really shaking my faith on wether or not thats Killer Frost is the fact that the over saturated version makes her skin noticeably violet.

But who the hell has light purple skin and looks like that?

PoweredbyProtein

Eternal student
Balance and no bad matchups are something entirely different.
No, it isn't. The tier for a character is based on how many matchups are in their favor. If there are no horrible match-ups then everyone is around the same, with no one being significantly better or worse than the rest of the cast.
Everyone being around the same tier wise=balance

A way more telling story would be games like KoFXIII, or MvC3, or SFxT or even MK9 that shipped with a ton of new characters and the balance problems were obvious.
My only point is that tekken has proven that you can have an ass load of characters and still have a balanced game.

PoweredbyProtein

Eternal student
Killzone,
re: Ultimate:
Capcom is a pretty shady organization (which they wouldn't be if they'd stop pretending they care about the fans) and there's no doubt they came to the Ultimate decision long before they told us about it, but there's no reason to believe that things didn't go down exactly the way they said which is Tsunami = plans changed. There's way more evidence that they're telling the truth than that they aren't.

re: Balance:
No, UMvC3 is horribly unbalanced and it does not have a lot of good characters at the top tier. If it takes an assist to make your character good, he / she is not good. The assist is. Pair that assist with a better character, and yours becomes irrelevant.

As you say, because its a tag game lots of characters "look good" in the hands of dedicated players (MODOK, Viper, Chris, Ryu, even Thor) but it doesn't change the fact that those characters need specific set ups, specific assists (usually a top tier, ironically), lots of meter, and multiple touches to kill. The real top tiers (Zero, Vergil, Spencer, Doom, etc) need one touch, any time, any where to kill a character and there are only about 8 of them.
I was with you until you had viper in there. Because we don't see Marlinpie do as much damage as Vergil, or get hits in without using assists all the time. Also Zero can't touch of death without the right assists and meter. The characters at the top of the tier list aren't there because of damage. You're making it sound like damage without assists= Position on the tier list.

http://www.eventhubs.com/images/2013/feb/28/rayrays-ultimate-marvel-vs-capcom-3-tier-list/
This is the most recent, and considered one of the most valid tier lists atm.
Note how C. Viper is Doom level.

trufenix

bye felicia
SNARDEater, so you are saying that NRS would include a bunch of nonplayable characters against playables in the opening cinematic. Ok. And as far as Tekken goes, my point is not that Tekken is broken or unbalanced, because its not and I am (or was) a pretty good Tekken player so I don't know why the fuck you have to be a confrontational bitch about everything.

My point is if Namco had gone from the 20+ characters in T4 to the 50+ in TTT2:U in a single game, it would be horribly imbalanced. There has never been a game that didn't. Even games like CvS1, MvC2, numerous KoFs, most MKs, and now SFxT that didn't really try anything new wound up with huge glaring faults. Its just not possible to balance that many variables without a field test.

That's

PoweredbyProtein, I'm not here to start an MvC3 tier war. My point is, several characters LOOK good when you back them with good ones. With xfactor, TAC bullshit, and generally low health, there are really only 3 or 4 characters who absolutely don't work under any circumstances, even when you back them with Hidden Missiles and a fully stocked Vergil. This isn't just about damage, its about meter management, its about mobility, its about being a functional assist. If one character is good at ALL of those things and another is only good at one of them, then that character is lower tier. This is why Viper is not really high tier. Because when push comes to shove, Viper needs a lot of help, even if you're as good as MarlinPie.

And as far as RayRays list goes, I'm not sure who is "accepting this list". Even if you ignore the part where Ammy, Skrull, and Task are chilling with Haggar and Hsien Ko, any tier list that puts situational top tiers like Phoenix and Strider in the same place as Magneto and Nova, who are good all the time, but leaves situationally bad characters like Strange and Frank in the same place as terrible all the time characters like Ghost Rider and Thor, really misses the point of a tier list.

Fuck this picture!
I first thought it was Ares but today it looks like a shemale and the other one looks like Killer Frost first but now
it looks like Circe and sometimes it starts looking like Poison Ivy. :p
I'm done with this picture, i'll just wait for the full roster to be announced.
Wait...a female character that looks male...OH MY GOD. Granny Goodness confirmed! You heard it here folks!

/troll

Reedoms

Noob
If anyone hasn't noticed, the supposed Raven in this picture doesn't have the giant ass diamond in her forehead.

If anyone hasn't noticed, the supposed Raven in this picture doesn't have the giant ass diamond in her forehead.
Well, some are still saying that the one in the upper right corner is Raven, which, if it is, means that the hood is hiding the diamond. Still...that looks far too "perfect" and too close to the head to be a hood. Looks more like a helmet to me.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
SNARDEater, so you are saying that NRS would include a bunch of nonplayable characters against playables in the opening cinematic.

Yeah, the team behind the Mortal Kombat series would never put unplayable characters in their opening cinematics.

Oh wait.

Shaolin Monks, Goro, Shang Tsung, Raiden, Kano:

Deception, Onaga:

Deadly Alliance, Shao Kahn, Liu Kang:

MK9, Shao Kahn:

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
I think bosses are a bit of a loophole in regards to what the guy was asking, but the MKDA example is quite good (although showing them explicitly dying as opposed to fighting other playable characters might be outside of the scope of the guy's point).

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I think bosses are a bit of a loophole in regards to what the guy was asking, but the MKDA example is quite good (although showing them explicitly dying as opposed to fighting other playable characters might be outside of the scope of the guy's point).
What about Shaolin Monks?

This doesn't matter, I don't even know why I feed into this bullshit.

All that matters here is that we don't know who the hell those two in the picture are for sure but we have good guesses.

PoweredbyProtein

Eternal student
PoweredbyProtein,
I'm not here to start an MvC3 tier war. My point is, several characters LOOK good when you back them with good ones. With xfactor, TAC bullshit, and generally low health, there are really only 3 or 4 characters who absolutely don't work under any circumstances, even when you back them with Hidden Missiles and a fully stocked Vergil. This isn't just about damage, its about meter management, its about mobility, its about being a functional assist.
Neither do I.
I know all of that, I was simply observation, because based on you're last post you made, along with the choices you picked, it sound like damage=tier placement.
If one character is good at ALL of those things and another is only good at one of them, then that character is lower tier. This is why Viper is not really high tier. Because when push comes to shove, Viper needs a lot of help, even if you're as good as MarlinPie.
What? People do touch of death combos with her without assists, kills entire teams when she's the only character left, can open people up as easily as Vergil can, and is widely considered as one of the best characters. Where are you getting your info from?

And as far as RayRays list goes, I'm not sure who is "accepting this list". Even if you ignore the part where Ammy, Skrull, and Task are chilling with Haggar and Hsien Ko, any tier list that puts situational top tiers like Phoenix and Strider in the same place as Magneto and Nova, who are good all the time, but leaves situationally bad characters like Strange and Frank in the same place as terrible all the time characters like Ghost Rider and Thor, really misses the point of a tier list.
On streams, and a majority of SRK and event hubs (though I should say a majority of the comment section, since there are no site wide polls)
...What are you looking at? They're above Haggar and Hsien-ko, and based on your own description of tiers Ammy, Skrull, and Task are where they deserve to be. As for Dr. Strange being with Thor... dude went on a quick acid trip.
Anyways, we're starting to derail the thread a bit too much, I digress.

To be fair though, I would take tier lists of other people over RayRay's list.
I don't think that RayRay is qualified or even experienced enough to come up with a tier list for UMvC3.