What's new

General/Other - Kano Coach Steve's Kano Change List for Potential New Patch

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Um, did you not read where I clearly stated that I didn't want +2 B1(which was broke), but wanted one with much better recovery? Frame data could be 0, -1, or even the -2 it is now but the recovery change has got to go. Cybernetic is designed to be a Jack of all Trades character that can be up in your face or zone you depending on the MU, now that nearly every dedicated zoner has gotten massive buffs(Liu Kang, Kitana, Kenshi, Shinnok) and HQT Pred. exists so Kano's zoning is hardly anything to write home about.

So his zoning is not impressive, his pressure game is laughable(B1 and B13 guessing game is the most poverty shit ever), and he doesn't do much damage. But wait you might say, 'He has good footsies and movement", yeah well I agree to that and I also say play Cutthroat because it'll actually be put to use. At this point I'm just assuming that you're just saying Cybernetic is good out of pride.

Also @Error We discussed about giving Commando Cutthroat's f212, thoughts?
That's what I'm saying, they had to increase its recovery to stop it from being +2. If they reverted it then it'd be back where it started which was broken. They could try decreasing the recovery frames again but we don't know if that'll trigger the bug again. Jack of all trades? What? His zoning is better than his rushdown, you're telling me his pressure game is laughable but he can be up in your face so what's he going to be up in your face with? That's a really vague statement. He's super defensive, zoning and footsies are what this variation is about. As a variation without 50/50s, staggered blockstring pressure and low or throw are his only mixups which aren't really as good as a 50/50 so I wouldn't say his up close game is that great at all. He's better at zoning than rushdown which is why he beats characters like Cassie. For the record Kenshi and Bone Shaper Shinnok weren't zoners before, Kenshi was and pretty much still is space control and Bone Shaper Shinnok was counterzoning. Necromancer is dedicated zoning.

His zoning isn't impressive yet is the reason he beats some or goes even with some of the popular variations, do you not see where that fails? His zoning isn't the best, no, but you can't tell me the opponent isn't going to respect knives and just keep eating them because they're 'only 5%' or whatever. They're 12 frame mids, that's still something to worry about and get around. Also doesn't do much damage is a bit of an exaggeration, he gets roughly just under 30% meterless and 36%ish for a bar which is below average but not the worst. Frankly it is something I'd like to see buffed though.

I'm not switching to Cutthroat, like hell am I giving up his best anti-air and mid for an overhead. I don't need it. You can make up excuses to pretend my opinion is wrong like I'm just saying it's good "out of pride" (lmao by the way) but the reality is most Kanos play Cybernetic so it can't be as bad as you're making it out to be.
@Youphemism, to me cyber feels more like a pressure/footsie character as well. Yeh knives are a zoning tool but there's absolutely nothing special about them. At his current state he seems like a prototype for what mournful kitana can do. She has has a mid projectile that's OH in the air and allows full on pressure both midscreen and in the corner. Kano can't do any of that right now, he can't even direct his projectiles, cancel them, or do big damage wether they're EX'd or not. So I really don't see him as a zoner at all with his toolkit being more focused on his normals, safe strings, and long range specials. He just feels like he's meant to keep the opponent grounded and in front of him to me. Don't get me wrong, they need to improve on that aspect as well (pressure) because it's sub par compared to real pressure characters in this game (boj Tanya, mournful kit, temp lao). But compared to his zoning, you can't consider him a zoning character because his knives don't function at the "zoning" level as the other zoning characters in this game.
Pressure? What pressure? As for nothing special about knives lmao, come on. Also what the hell are you talking about? Knives don't function at the zoning level? You're not making any sense. Of course knives are for zoning, he's a defensive/zoning variation. Just because his projectile doesn't do the most damage doesn't mean it's not a zoning tool.
B1/B23 1+3 being -2 to 0 on block would be what he needs
1+3 ender isn't -2 anyway, it's full combo punishable.

MrInsaynne

PG Coach Steve
Kano's B1 recovery frames only appear to be changed because they changed the move to be -2 on block. On hit the move recovers like it used to, same as on whiff. It has 9 frames of recovery. Always did.

The reason why Kano's B1 shouldn't change is because unlike the moves mentioned above (Predator D1 or SZ D3), this move is a combo starter and starts a true string. The mix ups beforehand were incredibly stupid and obnoxious because it was plus on block. I think the B1 is fine, it's a 9 frame mid. Active for 7 frames. Doesn't need to be tweaked like that imo. The projectile buff I mentioned earlier would suffice for cybernetic

ando1184

Noob
That's what I'm saying, they had to increase its recovery to stop it from being +2. If they reverted it then it'd be back where it started which was broken. They could try decreasing the recovery frames again but we don't know if that'll trigger the bug again. Jack of all trades? What? His zoning is better than his rushdown, you're telling me his pressure game is laughable but he can be up in your face so what's he going to be up in your face with? That's a really vague statement. He's super defensive, zoning and footsies are what this variation is about. As a variation without 50/50s, staggered blockstring pressure and low or throw are his only mixups which aren't really as good as a 50/50 so I wouldn't say his up close game is that great at all. He's better at zoning than rushdown which is why he beats characters like Cassie. For the record Kenshi and Bone Shaper Shinnok weren't zoners before, Kenshi was and pretty much still is space control and Bone Shaper Shinnok was counterzoning. Necromancer is dedicated zoning.

His zoning isn't impressive yet is the reason he beats some or goes even with some of the popular variations, do you not see where that fails? His zoning isn't the best, no, but you can't tell me the opponent isn't going to respect knives and just keep eating them because they're 'only 5%' or whatever. They're 12 frame mids, that's still something to worry about and get around. Also doesn't do much damage is a bit of an exaggeration, he gets roughly just under 30% meterless and 36%ish for a bar which is below average but not the worst. Frankly it is something I'd like to see buffed though.

I'm not switching to Cutthroat, like hell am I giving up his best anti-air and mid for an overhead. I don't need it. You can make up excuses to pretend my opinion is wrong like I'm just saying it's good "out of pride" (lmao by the way) but the reality is most Kanos play Cybernetic so it can't be as bad as you're making it out to be.

Pressure? What pressure? As for nothing special about knives lmao, come on. Also what the hell are you talking about? Knives don't function at the zoning level? You're not making any sense. Of course knives are for zoning, he's a defensive/zoning variation. Just because his projectile doesn't do the most damage doesn't mean it's not a zoning tool.

1+3 ender isn't -2 anyway, it's full combo punishable.
Every zoning character in this game has that something extra. Quan chi can MB rune for hella plus frames and control where it hits, mournful kitana can direct where her projectile travels by holding up or down and can do air projectiles, liu kang can do a low/mid/ or air FB and can cancel in DF variation, shall I continue? Kano has 0 special properties from his projectile, therefore it is a weak zoning tool "compared" to the rest of the zoners in the game which was my argument. Also he has footsies and plays as such using what "little" advantage and "pressure" he has with the "knives". And if you read the second half of my post you would have noticed that I said his pressure isn't as good as most pressure characters either. He suffers on both ends of the spectrum, however his knives and footsies are more useful on the pressure side than the zoning side. That's the point I was trying to make bud.

Last edited:

Youphemism

Every zoning character in this game has that something extra. Quan chi can MB rune for hella plus frames and control where it hits, mournful kitana can direct where her projectile travels by holding up or down and can do air projectiles, liu kang can do a low/mid/ or air FB and can cancel in DF variation, shall I continue? Kano has 0 special properties from his projectile, therefore it is a weak zoning tool "compared" to the rest of the zoners in the game which was my argument. Also he has footsies and plays as such using what "little" advantage and "pressure" he has with the "knives". And if you read the second half of my post you would have noticed that I said his pressure isn't as good as most pressure characters either. He suffers on both ends of the spectrum, however his knives and footsies are more useful on the pressure side than the zoning side. That's the point I was trying to make bud.
Not being able to control the direction of a projectile != weak zoning tool. That's just incorrect logic. What makes a zoning tool a weak zoning tool is if it's slow, doesn't do a lot of damage, is easily avoidable, things like that. The only one of those three that applies to Cybernetics knives is that, in comparison to other projectiles, it doesn't do as much damage. It's NOT a weak zoning tool. In comparison it might seem that way but it's really not. If that were the case he wouldn't beat Cassie, he wouldn't be able to compete with D'Vorah, Jax, Raiden, Sub Zero, you get my point. Why are you only looking at it like there's two parts of the spectrum? Not everything is either zoning or rushdown, there's footsies/the midrange game too which he excels at. He suffers as a pressure character but that's it, his zoning isn't as bad as you're making it sound. It's not always about the frames or the damage, EX knives break armour remember which is very important. Knives and footsies are a part of defence, not offence. Knives are a zoning tool and are important for zoning, controlling space. You can't say he has bad pressure then insinuate his knives and footsies are better for pressure than zoning, that doesn't make sense.

I feel like some of you guys are treating Kano like Kitana was treated, you're focussing to much on rushdown and how his tools apply to his rushdown when he's super defensive and relies on good footsies and zoning/space control.

ando1184

Noob
Not being able to control the direction of a projectile != weak zoning tool. That's just incorrect logic. What makes a zoning tool a weak zoning tool is if it's slow, doesn't do a lot of damage, is easily avoidable, things like that. The only one of those three that applies to Cybernetics knives is that, in comparison to other projectiles, it doesn't do as much damage. It's NOT a weak zoning tool. In comparison it might seem that way but it's really not. If that were the case he wouldn't beat Cassie, he wouldn't be able to compete with D'Vorah, Jax, Raiden, Sub Zero, you get my point. Why are you only looking at it like there's two parts of the spectrum? Not everything is either zoning or rushdown, there's footsies/the midrange game too which he excels at. He suffers as a pressure character but that's it, his zoning isn't as bad as you're making it sound. It's not always about the frames or the damage, EX knives break armour remember which is very important. Knives and footsies are a part of defence, not offence. Knives are a zoning tool and are important for zoning, controlling space. You can't say he has bad pressure then insinuate his knives and footsies are better for pressure than zoning, that doesn't make sense.

I feel like some of you guys are treating Kano like Kitana was treated, you're focussing to much on rushdown and how his tools apply to his rushdown when he's super defensive and relies on good footsies and zoning/space control.
Dude......you don't read a full post do you? I already mentioned he's a footsie character and I'm not just focused on the 2 sides of the spectrum. I was just chiming in on a topic you were a part of which was pressure and zoning as the subject. Knife is a zoning tool yes but its weaker in comparison with the majority of the zoning characters. Oh and Kano doesn't "excel" at anything, not even the neutral. He has safe footsies and pokes but it's the player that excels at everything he does not Kano. Kano suffers from being purely zoning or purely rushdown but his toolkit in cyber seems to better keep you grounded than a run away knife throwing 3/4-fullscreen style that's all I'm saying.

Youphemism

Dude......you don't read a full post do you? I already mentioned he's a footsie character and I'm not just focused on the 2 sides of the spectrum. I was just chiming in on a topic you were a part of which was pressure and zoning as the subject. Knife is a zoning tool yes but its weaker in comparison with the majority of the zoning characters. Oh and Kano doesn't "excel" at anything, not even the neutral. He has safe footsies and pokes but it's the player that excels at everything he does not Kano. Kano suffers from being purely zoning or purely rushdown but his toolkit in cyber seems to better keep you grounded than a run away knife throwing 3/4-fullscreen style that's all I'm saying.
I did read your post, I replied to everything you wrote. You said "He suffers on both ends of the spectrum", what do you expect me to think you're saying? Insinuating Kano isn't one of the best footsie characters in the game (which is another way of phrasing what you said is HUGE downplaying, he has an 11 frame advancing low crush combo starter, some of the best ranged pokes in the game, a great anti-air normal that converts for full combo and is a 9 frame slightly advancing mid. Combine that with his back walkspeed and his dashes and you cannot tell me he doesn't have some of the best footsie tools in the game. I don't really get what you mean by your last sentence...did you mean he suffers from not being pure zoning or rushdown? I agree he's definitely a character that'll keep you grounded but people aren't going to eat mid knives forever, and if they do that's good for you since you get meter and damage, but he actually does both of the things you said. From midscreen / 3/4 screen to fullscreen he's aggressively throwing knives then from about midscreen and closer he's mixing it up between aggressive knife throwing to bait jumps and catching the opponent trying to whiff punish you by jumping at you (or occasionally armouring through knives).

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
Speaking of, exactly what moves does it low crush. I know Erron's sand grenade for sure(assuming Low Crush means what I think it is, and the move in question is F4)

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
If you want a character that can zone and has excellent footsies, Liu Kang will take you further than Cyber Kano.

Jax also excels in the nuetral game with excellent pokes, great footsie tools, advancing armor, unseeable mix ups and fantastic corner carry.

Cyber Kano doesn't do anything that other characters don't do better.

Youphemism's biggest problem is that he absolutely refuses to admit that he's wrong. He's so dead set on "winning" the argument that he can't at least consider the opinions of others.

Even now, he's regurgitating old, out-dated talking points.

Saying Kano's zoning is fine when almost every other zoner does it better is ridiculous.

Knives simply aren't that great anymore. Almost every other zoner gets something more than just some damage with their projectiles.

Kitana's fans keep you from ever jumping, which make them a great conditioning tool on top of being able to convert into big damage off her fans, something Cyber can't do.

Quan's basic skulls and Runes not only deal more damage, but allow for full screen frame traps and 50/50s.

Predator does with his up laser what Cyber wishes he could do. Lasers recover very quickly, he can control running with low lasers and he can bait unsafe movement by pointing the laser in one direction and firing in another. Once he has you conditioned he throws out smart discs that you'll have to block, allowing him ground lasers. And he has + on block pressure and mix ups with lasers that Kano doesn't have.

HQT, in fact, does everything Cyber wants to do, but better.

BS Shinnok has a marginally slower projectile but can use that projectile to condition to set up his unblockable. On top of that, Hellsparks is a very difficult punish max range and not only controls space better than Cyber, but guarantees pressure on block with meter, something Cyber Kano's + on block mb knives don't.

Nearly every character I named does what Cyber Kano does, but safer, better, or for a bigger reward.

Seriously, just play Cutthroat.

Youphemism

If you want a character that can zone and has excellent footsies, Liu Kang will take you further than Cyber Kano.

Jax also excels in the nuetral game with excellent pokes, great footsie tools, advancing armor, unseeable mix ups and fantastic corner carry.

Cyber Kano doesn't do anything that other characters don't do better.

Youphemism's biggest problem is that he absolutely refuses to admit that he's wrong. He's so dead set on "winning" the argument that he can't at least consider the opinions of others.

Even now, he's regurgitating old, out-dated talking points.

Saying Kano's zoning is fine when almost every other zoner does it better is ridiculous.

Knives simply aren't that great anymore. Almost every other zoner gets something more than just some damage with their projectiles.

Kitana's fans keep you from ever jumping, which make them a great conditioning tool on top of being able to convert into big damage off her fans, something Cyber can't do.

Quan's basic skulls and Runes not only deal more damage, but allow for full screen frame traps and 50/50s.

Predator does with his up laser what Cyber wishes he could do. Lasers recover very quickly, he can control running with low lasers and he can bait unsafe movement by pointing the laser in one direction and firing in another. Once he has you conditioned he throws out smart discs that you'll have to block, allowing him ground lasers. And he has + on block pressure and mix ups with lasers that Kano doesn't have.

HQT, in fact, does everything Cyber wants to do, but better.

BS Shinnok has a marginally slower projectile but can use that projectile to condition to set up his unblockable. On top of that, Hellsparks is a very difficult punish max range and not only controls space better than Cyber, but guarantees pressure on block with meter, something Cyber Kano's + on block mb knives don't.

Nearly every character I named does what Cyber Kano does, but safer, better, or for a bigger reward.

Seriously, just play Cutthroat.
Lol why are you even here? You don't play the character any more, move on. It's like you're here just to ride my dick or something, jesus...

Rude

Lol why are you even here? You don't play the character any more, move on. It's like you're here just to ride my dick or something, jesus...
In lieu of an actual argument, Youphemism resorts to bullshit.

I play Kano still. He's no longer my main but i do still play him.

Youphemism

In lieu of an actual argument, Youphemism resorts to bullshit.

I play Kano still. He's no longer my main but i do still play him.
Because I'm not arguing with someone who hypocritically decides getting better as a player is "sentimental bullshit" yet tells the community to get better as players instead of nerfing Quan's pseudo-unblockables. Not worth the time when I can go and actually contribute something other than pessimism to the Kano forums.

Rude

Because I'm not arguing with someone who hypocritically decides getting better as a player is "sentimental bullshit" yet tells the community to get better as players instead of nerfing Quan's pseudo-unblockables. Not worth the time when I can go and actually contribute something other than pessimism to the Kano forums.
Way to take things out of context, Youph.

Honestly, I've seen less cherry picking with a sex offender at an All-you-can eat virgin convention than what you've put up here.

What is "sentimental bullshit" is you implying that you can outplay every single character in the game with mediocre footsies and 5% on hit knives.

What is "sentimental bullshit" is you living in a constant state of denial to the real problems the character has with shitty arguments.

The fact that you've reached so hard to discredit me instead of the things I've said tells me a lot.

Instead of considering the points of every other player on these forums not named Youphemism, you instead choose to plug up your ears, regurgitate that same tired, ill-founded, out-dated talking points you always have and shout repetitiously, "He's fine, he's fine, he's fine!"

Who are you trying to convince?

Us?

Or yourself?

Rude

But you've got me thinking.

You said you contribute positivity to these forums.

All right. I'll bite.

How?

A cursory peruse from the main board sees no new tech or strats for Cyber Kano posted here.

Maybe you post match footage of your often talked up yet seldom seen offline comp. Surely, us seeing you play Cyber Kano at the highest level would not only help Cyber Kano mains better understand how the character should be played, but provide undeniable evidence toward your claims of Cyber Kano's viability.

So where is it?

How about a match up chart? I'm sure a guy like you who likes to lord over the Cyber Kano forums would have a detailed match up chart to share with the community. Complete with match up breakdowns and strategies.

So where is it?

What do you do here? Because a look at these forums and i see players trying to have an honest discussion about the character until you show up in your tin hat screaming, "He's fine! He's fine!"

What would The Cyber Kano community do without Youphemism?

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
But you've got me thinking.

You said you contribute positivity to these forums.

All right. I'll bite.

How?

A cursory peruse from the main board sees no new tech or strats for Cyber Kano posted here.

Maybe you post match footage of your often talked up yet seldom seen offline comp. Surely, us seeing you play Cyber Kano at the highest level would not only help Cyber Kano mains better understand how the character should be played, but provide undeniable evidence toward your claims of Cyber Kano's viability.

So where is it?

How about a match up chart? I'm sure a guy like you who likes to lord over the Cyber Kano forums would have a detailed match up chart to share with the community. Complete with match up breakdowns and strategies.

So where is it?

What do you do here? Because a look at these forums and i see players trying to have an honest discussion about the character until you show up in your tin hat screaming, "He's fine! He's fine!"

What would The Cyber Kano community do without Youphemism?
*2ndBagOfPopcorn

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
"Honestly, I've seen less cherry picking with a sex offender at an All-you-can eat virgin convention than what you've put up here."1

Yo what does that even mean

Rude

You're right.

Anyway, Cyber Kano has problems that prevent him from being anything more than lower mid-tier.

With the exception of faster, albeit less damaging knives, Cutthroat keeps the footsies Cyber has and adds a better damage reward and a 50/50.

Cutthroat definitely feels like a complete, upper mid tier character than can compete better than it's Cybernetic brother.

I'm starting to think that Cyber might be better suited to Counterzone in match ups where Cutthroat could potentially be out zoned, so it has it's uses.

Not every variation is something you main, but rather you use it to compliment another variation's tools.

I can definitely see a case made for Cyber complimenting Cutthroat.

See? I'm not always negative.

Last edited: