What's new

Clash too common an occurance?

Are multiple clashes and long transitions hype killers?

• Yes. We should reduce the number of clashes and speed up stage transitions

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Clashes are the problem, not stage transitions

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stage transitions are the problem, not clashes

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • No. Multiple clashes and long stage transitions are not a hype killer.

Votes: 36 73.5%

• Total voters

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
I think a big problem to why Injustice is not as appealing to watch as other fighting games is the huge slowdown in the game's pace and tempo due to the game's mechanics.

Several years ago in Soul Calibur 4, a common complaint about the game was the critical finishes ending the game instantly and making the players essentially put down their controllers and watch a mini-movie. No need to look at the clock, lifebar, stage, meter, or anything relating to the game. This was addressed in SC5 when the CFs were replaced with CEs, which resembled traditional super moves. These moves didn't instant kill, but more importantly, kept the suspense alive because all factors mentioned above were still relevant so long as the match continued.

Fast forward to Injustice, a similar problem is occurring. Clash sequences completely kill the tempo of the game and always result in positions being reset. What's worse is when two clashes occur back to back, spectators are literally watching 2 mini-movies that have nothing to do with fighting games. Stage transitions are less an issue, but are a partial problem in that they last a very long time and spectators again stop focusing on the above mentioned factors and instead just focus on the lifebar.

I would like to see a few things happen:
1) Only 1 clash allowed per match when BOTH players are on their last life bar.
2) Speed up the stage transitions.

This thread is to only address game mechanics and not character specific changes. There's enough of those already.

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
2) Speed up the stage transitions.

1) That wouldn't be fair at all. But, this is a problem I predicted the very first time I saw the clash system. I'd prefer the Breaker...
2) I wouldn't mind that actually

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
No, how is it any different from an ultra/super startup and hit in any other fighter except you can gain health or do damage instead of just damage? It's also one of the few times you can stop and think mid match as you don't get "round ends/starts" to do so.

Reedoms

Noob
That would give an unfair advantage to the person who isn't allowed to clash. Unless you mean during the whole 2/3 games in which cast that is just asinine.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
I know people think that clashing only once per match is unbalanced, but think about that for a second. I don't think it is as big an issue as you guys are making it out to be, since the defending player now has an incentive to burn all the meter.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Clashes are fine.

And transitions will start becoming less and less common once people realize how ridiculous the corners are for literally every single character in the game, not just Superman.

The only reason I'd see transition is for the unclashable damage or to get the hell off of a part of the stage because you'd do better on the other side of it.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Uh, honestly I haven't found them to be annoying yet, which was one of my biggest concerns. The only time they can be annoying is when they happen back to back in like 5 seconds, but that's pretty rare.

Stage transitions mask loading, I'm sure some might be able to be sped up, but not really by much, and honestly, it happens like once every 5 or so matches, it's not a huge deal.

Why its not appealing to watch has to do with completely different reason.
Mostly its Black Adam and Superman being lame as shit. There zoning is one dimension, awkward, and just bland. So when every other match features a Black Adam or Superman, it makes the game boring as shit.

PoweredbyProtein

Eternal student
The number of clashes is fine, but I would like an option to bait clashes. That would be a step towards increasing the hype greatly.

Clash heavily promotes zoning. When you knock the opponent on the opposite side of the stage it makes all that hard work mute. Maybe half or 3/4 away but the real issue is that more than the double clashes. Characters like supes and sinestro can get a bar of meter by throwing a bunch of projectiles to rinse and repeat

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
Clashes are fine they take less time then most round breaks and are very make or break to some matches...
Stage changes don't happen enough to be a problem and during the few I have seen the comentary has done a good job of explaining the pros/cons to the upcoming area...
I have only lost hype due to button checks and F23man...

Sent under duress.

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
I will agree that this game just wasn't exciting at evo compared to everything else. I think it was more due to it being a weekend of f23.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
This hasn't really been an issue since the early beta's where you could clash at any time as often as you wanted in my eyes. They're fine now and create HUGE meter games on the final bar of health and they force many opponents to stop going for combos and to go for unclashable damage moves forcing openings in their pressure.

No the big problem is that zoning makes things feels slow and that interactibles/transitions are a bit too damaging. Thats what pushes back the speed/intensity of matches. Interactibles yield so much that folk almost always resort to them if near them and they force people to hang back to react. Single big hits are never as exciting as multi hit combos. Plus Zoning is very strong meaning that a lot of the game is witnessing folks trying to get in and stay in which gets rough due to corner interactibles as well.

Its not the cutscenes that makes it seem slower and that brings it down...its the balance on some of its core mechanics creating less of an opportunity/emphasis on in your phase flurry pacing.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
I have no problems with the clash system, I actually quite like it. It is a bit disheartening though when you're having trouble hitting your opponent, then once you do they clash and receive more health. But hey, that's the name of the game.

I really love the clash quotes though.
"You fight like my grandma!"
"You fought your grandma?"

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
These have never bothered me, tbh. I don't really feel disengaged as a player or as a spectator.

With clahes, I'm obviously thinking about what the wisest choice on both ends is on the health/damage/positioning front.

During transitions I just think about the match as a whole when I'm playing, taking the moment to think about what's been going wrong for me in the match thus far. As a spectator, I think about whether or not activating the transition was advantageous for either player on the basis of damage (ie, did the guy who initiated it do it too late for any meaningful damage?) or the new layout's interactables/screen size...

Jon Berg

Noob
Here is why the clash mechanic is generally anti hype. The clash is this games mechanic to comeback from a defecit. To gain health and stop a combo. However, this comeback mechanic is defensive in nature. Lets look at sf4 and mvc, two generally more exciting games to watch. These games have Ultra meter and x factor. Both of these are offensive mechanics. They allow you to take the reigns and fight back in a bbig wway. This is always more exciting then breaking a combo and regaining health. Its also a ton more satisfying to do and watch.

I'm not really a noob, but just recently figured out what triggers a clash. And it seems like a nice option for when you are trying turn a match around and make a comeback. It's a nice balancer for transitions and supers.

And let's face it, it's pure comic book theater, am I right? What would be the fun of a comics fighting game without the over-the-top drama, the quips, the threats and insults? I love it when WW says, "You fight like a man!" LOL

They are perfectly fine in this game. It adds another thing to keep track of and adds to the mind game/options one can do, as well as help certain characters in unfavorable matchups/situations (aka "Get me the fuck off of Metro Rooftop").