What's new

Clash too common an occurance?

Are multiple clashes and long transitions hype killers?

• Yes. We should reduce the number of clashes and speed up stage transitions

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Clashes are the problem, not stage transitions

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stage transitions are the problem, not clashes

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • No. Multiple clashes and long stage transitions are not a hype killer.

Votes: 36 73.5%

• Total voters

kronspik

Noob
Though clashes do break the gameplay flow, they serve a strategic purpose. I'm not sure how you can maintain that aspect of the game while making them shorter while still making them visually appealing.

stage transition need to be shorter. imo they should have 1 breaker in the first round and clashes second round. first rounds are too random because of lets say supermans high damage and such.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
I love how "slowdown in pace and tempo" is a point for this argument, but Injustice finished more than 30 minutes quicker than EVERY OTHER GAME AT EVO.

smh.
It doesn't take long for Superman to kill an opponent is why. ;)

PANDA

*Supreme Member*
Dude wtf are you talking about...
Clash does not kill the tempo of the match. If anything, it hypes the tempo, because the stage has been reset and anyone can take the match due to regained health etc...
Stop complaining about sequences being boring and deal with it.
If you think clashes are boring, I don't even want to hear what you have to say about Grundy's Pain Chain.

SUPARNOVAX

Low tier? I was born in it, molded by it
Clashing should not reset your position to the center of the map. It should keep you where you clashed IMO.

Like anime burst mechanics. Hell, I wonder how sweet it'd be if we had that kind of stuff in here!

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Clashing should not reset your position to the center of the map. It should keep you where you clashed IMO.

Like anime burst mechanics. Hell, I wonder how sweet it'd be if we had that kind of stuff in here!
A little more like MK9's breakers? A long time ago before they balanced these I brought up in a fan letter to NRS compiling stuff here that the thing that made clashes odd was that they were more to get a do over than to give the player a chance to "create a moment" like other comeback mechanics. Breakers, Mega Crashes, X-factor Cancels, and other comeback mechanics were all setup so that quickly after doing them you had a window to convert your "second chance" into offense and turn the tables where Clashes were designed to put you in neutral corners after some meter changes to start over.

I mentioned then that this mechanic highly favored zoners like so many other tools and didn't allow for players to "create a moment" directly afterwards that would excitedly shift the flow of the match like other comeback tools do and I still hold this to be true. Do clashes break the pacing and make the game too slow now? IMO no, but they still do favor zoners and they still dont allow for players to create their own moment of excitement. Instead you watch the cutscene, take a breather, and try to start over with a fresh perspective which is also good, but not as exciting to watch.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
In my opinion... remove clashes entirely. I worked hard to get in on them and force them into a corner, they should have to deal with it.
Transitions are fine as they are, maybe cut them in half. They shouldn't take twice as long as the loading screen to do the same job, especially when half of the processing is going towards the cinematic itself.

Jon Berg

Noob
In my opinion... remove clashes entirely. I worked hard to get in on them and force them into a corner, they should have to deal with it.
Transitions are fine as they are, maybe cut them in half. They shouldn't take twice as long as the loading screen to do the same job, especially when half of the processing is going towards the cinematic itself.

I think any problems people have with clashes are not a result of clashes at all, but rather the round system in this game. Because of the way rounds are setup, using a clash is very binary. Are you getting hit with a big combo in the second round and you have meter? Cool, clash. Your problem of getting in would be helped a TON with a better round system as well imo, as losing momentum one round or a clash wouldnt be as big a deal in the grand scheme of things. Let me explain my idea.

Both characters have 3 life bars. Grey, some other color, and red. Like standard fighting games, winning a round resets health bars. Player 1 wins the first round, his grey bar is replenished and the opponent is on his next bar. You get ONE clash per side per match. This opens a lot of depth. Having a really close first round where you are up in meter and think you can clash and take that round? Go for it. Down 2 games straight and on your way to defeat so you pop it, win the round and you are right back into it. The current situation where you have leftover life per round really makes comebacks nigh impossible. How often do you see someone win a round with a SLIVER of life only to take another half your health bar with laser spam or one combo or whatever, making the mountain to comeback too large. The 3 health system would raise excitement, deepen the clash metagame, as well as dampen the effects a clash has on rushdown monsters like bane.

This system would also be an awesome way to amp up the character damage system. What we have right now are holes in costumes with exposed flesh that looks like uncooked bacon. Imagine where depending on how many health bars down you are, you have different battle damage levels. A batman down 2 rounds has his mask cracked like the dark knight rises, blood dripping down his mouth a bit and a dented chestplate. Could even take it further for DC fans and tie this into the win pose. Get a standard one if you won by 1 or 2 rounds. But if it was 3-2 win, imagine superman slumped over in front of the sun regaining power as opposed to racing to save the day.

Just some thoughts from an aspiring designer.

SUPARNOVAX

A little more like MK9's breakers? A long time ago before they balanced these I brought up in a fan letter to NRS compiling stuff here that the thing that made clashes odd was that they were more to get a do over than to give the player a chance to "create a moment" like other comeback mechanics. Breakers, Mega Crashes, X-factor Cancels, and other comeback mechanics were all setup so that quickly after doing them you had a window to convert your "second chance" into offense and turn the tables where Clashes were designed to put you in neutral corners after some meter changes to start over.

I mentioned then that this mechanic highly favored zoners like so many other tools and didn't allow for players to "create a moment" directly afterwards that would excitedly shift the flow of the match like other comeback tools do and I still hold this to be true. Do clashes break the pacing and make the game too slow now? IMO no, but they still do favor zoners and they still dont allow for players to create their own moment of excitement. Instead you watch the cutscene, take a breather, and try to start over with a fresh perspective which is also good, but not as exciting to watch.
Yes but these see once per player so it's more critical when you use it

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

I think any problems people have with clashes are not a result of clashes at all, but rather the round system in this game. Because of the way rounds are setup, using a clash is very binary. Are you getting hit with a big combo in the second round and you have meter? Cool, clash. Your problem of getting in would be helped a TON with a better round system as well imo, as losing momentum one round or a clash wouldnt be as big a deal in the grand scheme of things. Let me explain my idea.

Both characters have 3 life bars. Grey, some other color, and red. Like standard fighting games, winning a round resets health bars. Player 1 wins the first round, his grey bar is replenished and the opponent is on his next bar. You get ONE clash per side per match. This opens a lot of depth. Having a really close first round where you are up in meter and think you can clash and take that round? Go for it. Down 2 games straight and on your way to defeat so you pop it, win the round and you are right back into it. The current situation where you have leftover life per round really makes comebacks nigh impossible. How often do you see someone win a round with a SLIVER of life only to take another half your health bar with laser spam or one combo or whatever, making the mountain to comeback too large. The 3 health system would raise excitement, deepen the clash metagame, as well as dampen the effects a clash has on rushdown monsters like bane.

This system would also be an awesome way to amp up the character damage system. What we have right now are holes in costumes with exposed flesh that looks like uncooked bacon. Imagine where depending on how many health bars down you are, you have different battle damage levels. A batman down 2 rounds has his mask cracked like the dark knight rises, blood dripping down his mouth a bit and a dented chestplate. Could even take it further for DC fans and tie this into the win pose. Get a standard one if you won by 1 or 2 rounds. But if it was 3-2 win, imagine superman slumped over in front of the sun regaining power as opposed to racing to save the day.

Just some thoughts from an aspiring designer.
The only problem I see with some of these ideas is that they take up space on the disk. While that's less of a problem for PS3 users, XBox users only have a DVD drive. At some point you're going to run out of storage space on the DVD, unless you add this stuff via download.

Jon Berg

Noob
The only problem I see with some of these ideas is that they take up space on the disk. While that's less of a problem for PS3 users, XBox users only have a DVD drive. At some point you're going to run out of storage space on the DVD, unless you add this stuff via download.

No doubt its superfluous. I think the main focus I was trying to get at was the round system changes. I just think its a cool opportunity. This would clearly be something down the line in a new game, where space likely wont be an issue.

Stage transitions are unclashable- so one of the things that this thread complains about is litterally lessened by the other thing the thread complains about. It's situational, obviously, but I can't tell you how many times I've seen players risk getting a clash the opponent will win or dropping a combo, when they decide to wail on an opponent in the corner who is frozen, grav-pull stunned, tied in a bola, and ready to be automaticaly finished by a stage transition.

booivi

Good Game :)
Lol quick story about what someone did to me online...My opponent chose the "Joker's Asylum" arena and then we were both near the right corner of the map. He used that interactable that freezes and then he hit confirmed a string into a bounce cancel. He got the stage transition, But It scaled so hard I was laughing.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
The only thing that sucks about clashes IMO is the fact that it gives the advantage back to the zoning characters, zoning is already fairly strong in this game and a good chunk of the cast are designed that way. If you don't have a teleport or a projectile to trade, tied clashes in a very close match kind of screw you over.

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
IMO we should let Injustice be unique. If you don't like watching it don't watch it. If you don't like playing it don't play it. Injustice is not MK9 SSFIV UMVC3 SFxT... It's none of those games. It's Injustice. Your solution is easy. I don't mean to sound like a dick, but people makes their lives harder then it should be. Disassociate yourself from the game if you don't like what's happening.

SUPARNOVAX

I swear people will bitch just to bitch. Clash is fine.
If you don't question or criticize these game sometimes you just end up with something you may not like in the end (MK9) or not like right away (SFxT). People criticize the game because they like it or want to like it a lot more. It's a very long push away from just bashing the game for no reason. I think a lot of things can be improved upon the foundation for the game. Obviously we're not game developers but constant feedback is how NRS is going to balance this game unfortunately.

When I saw and read about the clash, it was cool at first because it reminded me of the anime burst mechanics. Then it kind of went into a grey area for me. I see it's usefulness in this game. I can't see it working out well for other games.