What's new

Chip damage on normals in Injustice?

Should Injustice feature chip damage on normals?

• Yes

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • No

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • I don't even

Votes: 3 6.0%

• Total voters
We already know that chip damage will be in the game. It will have premises, tweaks and so on to it, but it will be there.

I'm personally against it.
To me it looks like great blocking doesn't get you as far as in other fighting games and that comebacks are much harder. I would like to have chip damage only on normals in Injustice.
If you want to reward aggressive players, then let them simply be the ones who gain meter by doing normal attacks on enemies who are blocking and don't give any meter to the ones who are blocking.
So the advantage still stays there and the ones who are blocking profit more from the blocking.

In a game with only one round / two health bars, which don't recover from adding chip damage doesn't look that appealing.
That was always my main flaw with Injustice.

What's your opinion?

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
i hope chip damage is in, especially since it is back to block, damage should be dealt to defending characters, it forces them to open up to escape, parry or reverse the situation. otherwise throw is the only option to open up a turtling defending character. there should be characters who are proficient at doing block damage, this should be a technique of some characters and another element to the game that us players must learn to counter.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Chip damage in normals defeats the point of blocking in the first place. It's not a big issue for me, but I am definitely not a fan.

There already was a game that rewarded aggressive players and penalized players who just turtled and that was Guilty Gear. It obviously worked for that game because the developers knew what worked and what didn't work on either scenario. Nothing against the fine folks over at NRS, but let's be honest, they aren't ArcSys.

As for there being chip damage or not, I'm against it. And that's mainly because the game so far looks to have high damage output, or maybe I'm just looking at it wrong.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
there needs to be chip damage because otherwise players will just turtle all day long and they won't have a good excuse to stop blocking besides throwing, if i remember correctly even UMC3 had chip damage. i believe it should stay as it forces players to actually fight.

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
i hope chip damage is in, especially since it is back to block, damage should be dealt to defending characters, it forces them to open up to escape, parry or reverse the situation. otherwise throw is the only option to open up a turtling defending character. there should be characters who are proficient at doing block damage, this should be a technique of some characters and another element to the game that us players must learn to counter.
I don't understand why you think back to block means there's an even greater need for chip damage (on -normals-, mind you.). Players will have more opportunities than everto break a block utilizing left-right mixups. Additionally, because of the game's format with no resetting health between pseudo rounds, a player that has a bad start should be able to help to even out the odds with perfect defense. This'd facilitate the -ability- to come back without forcing in some big damage mechanic.

there needs to be chip damage because otherwise players will just turtle all day long and they won't have a good excuse to stop blocking besides throwing, if i remember correctly even UMC3 had chip damage. i believe it should stay as it forces players to actually fight.
Chip damage from specials goes without saying, I think. That's something you see in nearly every game. Chip damage from normals is something that very few games do.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Chip damage is in. I don't know why people dislike it.. It discourages turtling. Combine this with the fact that throw tech'ing is no longer 50/50, and it makes sense to have some disadvantage to not mounting an offense.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Chip damage on normals works in games where you have a block button, like MK. Because it's harder to do high low mix-ups against a block button and cross-ups don't work the same way. Normals doing chip in a game that is back to block would be pretty ridiculous. The pressure game will be insane if Injustice has chip on normals. I actually like that though, coming from a UMK3 background. :p

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
I don't understand why you think back to block means there's an even greater need for chip damage (on -normals-, mind you.). Players will have more opportunities than everto break a block utilizing left-right mixups.
back to block doesnt mean there is a greater need, and i didn't say that. simply a greater want. i want there to be normal chip damage in this game that has back to block.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
i just wish this game had actual rounds....but oh well, maybe it'll be in teh options? o-0

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Honestly, all of this is speculation and theory fighting. We won't really know how anything affects the gameplay until the game has been out for awhile. I welcome everything in the game and have an open mind about it. I'm glad they're not copying any one fighting game and trying new things. We'll see how it goes, nothing so far has me worried.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
Eh, chip on normals might be a bit much on top of worrying about high/lows, crossups, grabs, etc.

I kind of think that chip via special moves is alright. Like with batarangs and stuff, but we'll see how Injustice works. I think it might make some more characters that lack decent crossups and mixups more viable, but it also might propel more characters into Kabal tier if they have buttloads of tools, AND do chip damage from each normal.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
It's gonna be weird when you're getting chipped out and you get blown away to start the next "round".

I prefer chip on normals.

Justice

Noob
A fighting game is all about doing more damage than your opponent whether there's chip damage or not. All chip damage does is discourage excessive turtling and forces players to have a plan of attack for all situations (including when on the defensive).

NRS likes fast gameplay and overall shorter match lengths. This is why MK9 has mechanics like chip damage and armorto counteract the chip mechanic.

I personally feel that chip damage on normals is a little excessive in a game like Injustice, especially with the 2 HP bar system. Also, consider that specials seem to play an important part of gameplay so if only specials have chip, that should more than suffice to keep players from turtling. Chip damage on norrmals would really make a lopsided match that much more lopsided and therefore boring. Skullgirls is an excellent example of how chip on specials makes for an exhilarating experience without making people feel that there is no chance of a comeback.

Seapeople

This one's for you
I haven't played anything besides MK enough to see how no chip damage changes the metagame. But I think good defense also means knowing when to quit blocking, and chip damage makes that pretty important.

Looooooove chip damage. It pushes the pace and forces ppl to do something while awarding aggression.it adds more thought and strategy. It also adds character variety.

PoweredbyProtein

Eternal student
Chip damage should be one specials only. Having them on normals is just stupid.

On a somewhat related note, since we've started to bring up chip damage; the game I think that has a very interesting take on chip damage, as well as one of the best implementations, is P4U. By blocking you take recoverable "blue" damage. If the opponent breaks through your defense you will lose all your blue health and eat the damage from the combo. If you escape the offense your blue health will start to go up slowly, after a period of time, as long as you're not blocking. So even after starting to pressure you still have your lingering blue health as a penalty for blocking for too long.

Actually, I'll just mention all of Arks Chip systems, since I believe they do it best.
In Guilty Gear, you have to use your meter to block chip damage. It makes the player really think about when they want to use it due to meter in GG being more in important, than arguably, even SSFIVAE.
In BlazBlue, there is a separate gauge that is used to stop chip damage, and if emptied you will take extra damage when hit until you're gauge refills above a certain point.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
LOL

go play a game with no chip damage on block.... everything else is SO much harder in regards to OH and Low mixups as well as cross ups.

You're collective bodies just aren't ready.

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
snippity snip
I'll agree about ArcSys's implementations of Chip Damage being among the best.

I like P4U's in particular, and I almost wouldn't mind chip on normals if it worked in the same way - and I'll add that in P4U, you cannot die from chip damage. This means that even at 1 pixel, you can always come back with a perfect defense. Never give up!

Robotic Shark

you can never have too much honey
I'm very new to fighting games but I gotta say chip dmg sounds like a good idea so people couldn't turtle and just wait out the clock as easily