What's new

Strategy Charge Cancelling Discussion (now with poll)

Should Bane have a charge cancel?

• Yes

Votes: 21 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 49 70.0%

• Total voters
Cancel the startup. You people...

Its not about getting in. Its the fact that charge is useless outside of close/mid range. Startup cancel opens mind games and makes people respect it instead of standing there twiddling their thumbs until we cross half screen.

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
If you can only cancel it on startup and you do it full screen, the opponent will have plenty of time to see that coming and not do anything. And even if you bait something, you'll be too far away to punish. Cancelling startup seems like it'd only be useful up close to almost midscreen where they have to jump right after they see the flex. Even then, what do you get from bating a jump-back? I doubt you'd be close enough or recover fast enough to punish it.

SUPARNOVAX

Low tier? I was born in it, molded by it
If you dash cancel the charge forward, you will still be punished in the dash frames and you won't even trade or clip people. If you dash cancel backward, you are still getting zoned out. It's extremely redundant in my eyes to have this on Bane.

Why bother asking for something so useless?

You're not going to fake out good players with this.

It is better that people focus their efforts on other useful tools instead like having double punch ground bounce or making his grabs a little better overall.

Zatoichi

Fabulous Goofball
How about an alternative? Instead of changing Bane's charge and making it cancelable, Bane's forward dash is changed instead? Bane's forward dash gains of benefit of venom armor and projectile invincibility on level 3 Venom?

SUPARNOVAX

Low tier? I was born in it, molded by it
Yeah but what are these proposed changes supposed to alleviate or supplement? Because he's a pretty good/decent character up close and of course getting in will be an obstacle. He is a grappler and they will inheritly be dealt with at a distance. When you put in random stuff like that that serves no other purpose other than to bullcharge into people it just seems completely unplanned or thought out.

Where are the checks and balances for them?

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
How about an alternative? Instead of changing Bane's charge and making it cancelable, Bane's forward dash is changed instead? Bane's forward dash gains of benefit of venom armor and projectile invincibility on level 3 Venom?
Let's take an already bad idea and make it ten times worse. Bravo.

When I first started playing Bane I thought canceling the charge would be a great idea, but over time I realized how broken that could potentially be.

Like doom mentioned earlier, it could create a block infinite or make it insanely difficult if not impossible to keep Bane out of range.

Lets face facts here, Bane is nearly unmatched in close quarters when you consider his reach, constant high/low/throw mix up from sweep range inward, brutal Oki game, and insane pressure with his heavy frame advantage. If you try to go toe to toe with Bane all game, you're gonna have a bad time. If it becomes too hard to keep him out, I honestly believe he will be the new god character. You need to make Bane work to get in to justify his tools up close.

Sent from my Gameboy Color using Tapatalk 2

masuhdunkillyall

Aht Aht Aht!
Imo, the only way to make it correctly (but it would still walk a fine line between broken and balance) would be to make it dash cancel-able where the only way to cancel it is to dash backwards or forwards out of it so that you would lose your armor and have to cancel into another special when your dash is over. Cancelling charge into another special would be completely broken...but having to first dash, then input the special, would be a bit better. I believe if it were implemented this way, the window for when you would have to dash out of charge would be around when Bane takes his first two or three steps of the charge animation. Too soon and its useless, too late and its too good.
As aug said, its more about mind games and the availability of options. Making the opponent respect it from afar because it can be cancelled would be nice. Regardless though, I'd still rather have other things fixed first before this.

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
^ And that would be fairly useless. It wouldn't do much more at all that blocking and dashing doesn't do already. Pretty much everything SUPARNOVA said in post #54. When people see charge coming, they either jump, MB b/f.3 or block if it's too close and they can't react or don't have meter or we're on lvl 3 venom. The most that cancelling into a dash would do is make opponents waste a bar on MB b/f.3.

masuhdunkillyall

Aht Aht Aht!
^ And that would be fairly useless. It wouldn't do much more at all that blocking and dashing doesn't do already. Pretty much everything SUPARNOVA said in post #54. When people see charge coming, they either jump, MB b/f.3 or block if it's too close and they can't react or don't have meter or we're on lvl 3 venom. The most that cancelling into a dash would do is make opponents waste a bar on MB b/f.3.
Then do you feel if it were implemented in the form of being able to dash cancel it anytime it would be overpowered? (as long as you are still on the same side you inputted the charge on, ex: if an opponent jumps over you, you cannot dash cancel, because then if it wasn't like this it would pretty much be unpunishable)

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
Then do you feel if it were implemented in the form of being able to dash cancel it anytime it would be overpowered? (as long as you are still on the same side you inputted the charge on, ex: if an opponent jumps over you, you cannot dash cancel, because then if it wasn't like this it would pretty much be unpunishable)
I don't think dash cancelling at all would make charge overpowered. In fact, I don't think it would change anything or greatly benefit Bane, which is why I don't think he needs it. Even if you do it at the end of the charge, if you dash forward and they were standing still, then you get punished. If you dash forward and they jumped, you either get punished or end up in their face which, depending on character and venom, may be good or bad. If you dash forward and they MB b/f.3, then you get punished. If you dash backwards at all, you don't get anything and could get punished depending on the character and what they were doing. There's mind games there, but you don't get anything from it and could even get punished.

The only time a charge cancel could have use is doing it mid to full screen to try and make the opponent waste meter on MB b/f.3. Certainly not useless, but not enough to warrant the buff IMO.