What's new

Characters Screwed by 9/30 Patch

xKMMx

Banned
Let’s be honest. This whole game is dogshit. Low pokes don’t jail shit. This games rewards ducking. It is ugly to play. All these combos that start high aren’t even being used. I know everyone is on meth or adderall, but come on. Who in the fuck has the reaction time of a robot? Don’t say the pros, tell me you haven’t thought this for a second yourself. Everyone needs an overhead, to open people up. If you are going to animate moves that look like an ovehead but they hit mid, then you are living a lie and charging through the teeth for it. Don’t even get me started on the drip feed DLC either.
Every one needs an overhead? LMAO.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Maybe NRS only takes feedback from the "pros" and ignores everyone else now?
The current NRS community is a fascinating place where you will see someone complaining that they only listen to pros, at the exact time where someone else is complaining that they only listen to casuals, at the same time that someone complains that they don’t listen to anyone at all, at the same time time someone else says that they listen too much and make too many ‘knee-jerk reactions’. I’ve seen all 4 of these comments in the last 48 hours alone :)

On top of that you see someone making a thread saying that NRS shouldn’t ‘recycle’ specials and should only use unused custom moves in the new variations. Then you see a post blowing them up because the unused custom moves didn’t synergize in some variations and they should have combined them with existing moves instead.

Some days you just have to scratch your head. It’s like the Kobayashi Maru in Star Trek where it is set up from the beginning for there to be no way to win.

I would hope that at some point people would see the level of hypocrisy, but it seems like self-reflection is at an all time low. The current mood seems to be ‘gonna complain no matter what’.

Last edited:
I can't speak for all variations, but I'd say for Raiden's 3rd variation there's actually some decent synergy and a nice game plan. Truth & Lightning (T&L) gives up combo damage and corner carry, but theoretically Raiden should gain better setups and harassment with his Lightening Rod move (puts the opponent in an electric bubble on amp which causes a hit if the opponent leaves the bubble, re-directs projectiles). Jo Push lets Raiden side switch if he's in the corner, and has some ok range and works as a potential way to check an opponent who's just walking in. There's a pretty clear game plan in that variation.

The problem is Lightning Rod goes away so fast and Raiden's projectiles have so much startup that there's almost no payoff for actually getting the rod out and set up. You'd need to spend a ton of resources just to maybe get a little bit of chip. It's simply not worth it. To me the bigger problem is that some of the moves for the variations have been toned down too much.
I still think removing fly was an absurd decision. His game plan has always involved putting people in corners.
I agree with your analysis on Lightning Rod; we get to keep Lightning Bolt so we can still shoot the rod while also having Jo Push. But why does it need to replace anything? Why fly?

If we really have to make a choice, why not just keep Jo Push on the same input, but while the rod is planted we just get Bolt back? Or just make it bf2?
Instead, we get to lose a really important and versatile move, I guess to really make this variation defensive and zoney, and we're expected to use our projectiles more yet it's just not feasible with the rod's lifespan.
Should just remove the duration and let us plant the rod for as long as we want, press dd4 or some shit to call it back.

OzzFoxx

Hardcore gaming poser.
Absolutely not.
I realize you have some clout on this topic, but I guess I just don’t see examples like Liu Kang and Kotal Kahn in MKX and Injustice 2. Even characters like Joker have use as counterpicks. To me it seems like after they had that mkx patch that killed armored launchers and other similar things they took a huge step forward in balance. It sure seemed to carry forward to inj2, but for mk11 they changed the game so much that they took a few steps back. As solely a spectator, I mainly base these opinions on the variety of high level player character choices so I don’t mean to be an authority. What is it that I’m missing that makes this logic so unsound?

Maybe NRS only takes feedback from the "pros" and ignores everyone else now?
Chakram needed a nerf most likely but that many nerfs? It used to be a 1 slot move. Make it 2, sure. Make it a little slower, sure. Make it one frame faster than bola? Ok bruh

Was actually referring to Raiden's third though

xKMMx

Banned
NRS officially hates Raiden, but not one buff, lack of buffs in general, shitty KBs, and toned down universal damage on KBs, horribly designed 3rd variation...I can go on but this season I'm done once I reach champion. Sadly I will wind up using him less because nrs insists on shutting on the thunder god
My friend I understand you want to be a character loyalist. But that's the price you pay for being a character loyalist. There are going to be some match ups, possibly a lot of match ups that your character just flat out has to work really hard to win.
Pick someone else up and start enjoying the game more. I never would have thought when this game launched I'd be a Jacqui main cause I HAAAAAATED Jacqui in MKX. But I gave her a shot cause her playstyle fit me.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
Shang probably has both bottom 2 variations in the game now. They completely ignored his abysmal second variation and added the third one with the ninja moves as trash as they were.
You mean that variation that EVERYONE BEGGED THEM TO INCLUDE?
CWYWF.

Shang probably has both bottom 2 variations in the game now. They completely ignored his abysmal second variation and added the third one with the ninja moves as trash as they were.
It's pretty wack that Ermac and Rain moves weren't touched at all.

JGillette

My thirst for knowledge cannot be quenched
When they introduced the game, they said MKX had variations, but they “expanded that idea” for this game and gave us “custom variations” which is not accessible for tournament mode. I mean, personally i dont find it ethic when i dont get something which is promised. As a result, no matter how hard they try they cant make many people happy. Of course there are characters which benefit from the current tournament preset variations and all that, but if custom variations really existed, everything probably would be much better. As you guys know as well, this is the actual reason for more than a bunch of tournament preset variations being nonsense, not having a logical gameplan to be played, the moves were designed to be included in “custom variations”, which is why they don’t feel proper to be mixed in a preset variation. This is what i think.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
When they introduced the game, they said MKX had variations, but they “expanded that idea” for this game and gave us “custom variations” which is not accessible for tournament mode. I mean, personally i dont find it ethic when i dont get something which is promised.

They promised the ability to make custom variations, which is included in the game. They never promised custom variations would be available for tournament or competitive play. They considered it, but never promised it would be a thing. You might not agree with their decision, but they weren't unethical.

but if custom variations really existed, everything probably would be much better.
I think more likely you'd end up with the same amount of unhappy people, just the nature of the complaints would change.

They promised the ability to make custom variations, which is included in the game. They never promised custom variations would be available for tournament or competitive play. They considered it, but never promised it would be a thing. You might not agree with their decision, but they weren't unethical.
I think the bigger issue here is how blatantly the customs system was meant to permeate the entire game and revolve around these variant special moves, but then gate it all off for a niche portion of the community that gets a disproportionate amount of attention. This results in a huge amount of people who aren't even competitive players to perceive customs as a waste of time or "not really there" because the comp scene ignores them.

It's a level of influence that really skews things and harms the game as a whole, not to mention I think it's pretty fucked up to spend the kind of man hours you need for core things in a fighting game like special moves and then just cast most of them aside because they aren't tournament approved.

Now while the argument can be made that the vast majority of players are casual and will stick to casual modes and how niche tournament play is, the only things in the game to receive balance adjustments are what appears in ranked variations. (unless there's a bug to fix)
That just ain't right.

JGillette

My thirst for knowledge cannot be quenched

I think more likely you'd end up with the same amount of unhappy people, just the nature of the complaints would change.
1 - They could have told that it might not be a thing when they released the announce trailer as they did that they said “custom variations are coming”. Additionally, you appear to find some slapped together preset variations very logical and healthy for the balance, of which especially some characters are in need

2 - At least people could figure out something best for the characters they play, because they have been more cautious of not overkilling a character as they have done so many times anymore

I will always just wish they do away with variations and give us all moves. Balance wise it’s easier to fix and someone will always be unhappy with how things are with variations as evidenced by the thread. People will always use one variation over the other want a variation nerfed, buffed etc. there is a reason why most fighting games don’t have variations. Maybe different supers/ultras but variations? I think they understand not to mess with it. If Tekken and soul caliber can manage giving characters 100 moves I don’t see why nrs cant give us all special moves. Ok rant over

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
1 - They could have told that it might not be a thing when they released the announce trailer as they did that they said “custom variations are coming”. Additionally, you appear to find some slapped together preset variations very logical and healthy for the balance, of which especially some characters are in need

2 - At least people could figure out something best for the characters they play, because they have been more cautious of not overkilling a character as they have done so many times anymore

Yeah, I think they did a poor job marketing it. And I'm not saying trying to make an argument about whether they made the right or wrong decision. I'm just pointing out that what they did wasn't unethical.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
When they introduced the game, they said MKX had variations, but they “expanded that idea” for this game and gave us “custom variations” which is not accessible for tournament mode. I mean, personally i dont find it ethic when i dont get something which is promised. As a result, no matter how hard they try they cant make many people happy. Of course there are characters which benefit from the current tournament preset variations and all that, but if custom variations really existed, everything probably would be much better. As you guys know as well, this is the actual reason for more than a bunch of tournament preset variations being nonsense, not having a logical gameplan to be played, the moves were designed to be included in “custom variations”, which is why they don’t feel proper to be mixed in a preset variation. This is what i think.
yep, 100% agreed , kinda, or you have custom variations already ready for use, with pre established presets (MKX) ... or free custom variations, where you can mixed together anything you want, anything goes ! (what MK11 was supposed to be before release, hehe) :rolleyes:

what NRS did, was a half term, half ass solution, and I have been a critic of this since the beggining ..... you build your character in training mode, and in casual the way you enjoy, only to discover that, for competitive level, you will have some sort of limitation, what the hell ? :mad:

the game is fucking amazing, but this feature is a fucking joke that unfortunatelly, came to stay, so, we can complain, but we cannot change it .... fuck that, lol :p

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Let’s be honest. This whole game is dogshit. Low pokes don’t jail shit. This games rewards ducking. It is ugly to play. All these combos that start high aren’t even being used. I know everyone is on meth or adderall, but come on. Who in the fuck has the reaction time of a robot? Don’t say the pros, tell me you haven’t thought this for a second yourself. Everyone needs an overhead, to open people up. If you are going to animate moves that look like an ovehead but they hit mid, then you are living a lie and charging through the teeth for it. Don’t even get me started on the drip feed DLC either.
Thanks for the laugh. I needed that.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
My friend I understand you want to be a character loyalist. But that's the price you pay for being a character loyalist. There are going to be some match ups, possibly a lot of match ups that your character just flat out has to work really hard to win.
Pick someone else up and start enjoying the game more. I never would have thought when this game launched I'd be a Jacqui main cause I HAAAAAATED Jacqui in MKX. But I gave her a shot cause her playstyle fit me.
Yeah man it sucks lol. I mean Raiden is one of my fav MK characters, he was a secondly used character in the past few games because I only love using Ermac more but you know NRS kind of killed him off too and dissed him lol. I mean redesigned him just to...kill him. That's not a tease lol. But I digress. It just sucks when your fav happens to be dead last lol. I do use LK Wu Shi, Jade(love Jade prob my second most used) and Sonya. Sadly I have to use LK And Sonya more in KL just to compete though most of the time, I've won a lot with jade and raiden but now everyone whores the tops so I have no choice.

MKF30

Chakram needed a nerf most likely but that many nerfs? It used to be a 1 slot move. Make it 2, sure. Make it a little slower, sure. Make it one frame faster than bola? Ok bruh

Was actually referring to Raiden's third though
Yeah I was referring mostly to Raiden lol. Though I have to say Kollector seems pretty damn good if you watch Destroyer's stream and I've played a few really good ones. Raiden though ehh lol.

MKF30

The current NRS community is a fascinating place where you will see someone complaining that they only listen to pros, at the exact time where someone else is complaining that they only listen to casuals, at the same time that someone complains that they don’t listen to anyone at all, at the same time time someone else says that they listen too much and make too many ‘knee-jerk reactions’. I’ve seen all 4 of these comments in the last 48 hours alone :)

On top of that you see someone making a thread saying that NRS shouldn’t ‘recycle’ specials and should only use unused custom moves in the new variations. Then you see a post blowing them up because the unused custom moves didn’t synergize in some variations and they should have combined them with existing moves instead.

Some days you just have to scratch your head. It’s like the Kobayashi Maru in Star Trek where it is set up from the beginning for there to be no way to win.

I would hope that at some point people would see the level of hypocrisy, but it seems like self-reflection is at an all time low. The current mood seems to be ‘gonna complain no matter what’.
Yeah I mean IDK for sure that's why I said maybe, who knows though. I mean if I were NRS I would just listen to the entire fanbase since I mean at the end of the day...hey money is money right?;) So in a way I can understand anyone who paid good money for this game and wants their guy or girl to be viable or something. Obviously different people have different opinions, I've seen tourney players complain about "casuals" too I think NRS IMO should just listen to everyone and do the best they can or not in some cases(coughcoughRaidencoughcough)

I don't think everyone complains but everyone has complained at some point about something for sure if not in the game than about others complaining about the game. It's human nature, but I will say this much. I have not seen this much complaining about a NRS game like ever lol. I know I2 and MK X and MK 9 etc had their complaints but MK 11 seems like every day on here literally. Like some characters, I feel some of the gripes are more viable than others.