What's new

Characters Screwed by 9/30 Patch

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
The problem with a lot of these 3rd variations is that they aren't variations at all. They're just an amalgamation of leftover moves with no central gameplan. Also I'm not sure why NRS insists on replacing good base kits moves with shit.

I'm happy we got third variations on principle but the execution feels phoned in.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I'm not happy with Raiden's 3rd variation, but on the other hand it is just a game. I plan on giving the 3rd variation a legit try, but if I'm not having fun I'll just change characters or go back to one of his other variations.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
its not about tagging you because of one post or something.
its about that the overall moderation should be stricter.
scrubs would think twice then about shitposting or dont even do it at all.
'Scrubs', we're not here to be an elitist website. New players should have the right to come here to learn too. It's not 'scrubs' that shitpost, it's idiotic trolls. And again, we can't spot all of these posts. So if a thread or a poster isn't flagged, it's easy to miss and it gets drowned in the pages.

It's up to all of us to make this a better place and if we aren't all working as a team, it's not going to work. Stop trying to put the blame on the mod team or the 'scrubs', because a lot of people reply to these trolls and make it worse. So tag us and then block them, that should be everyone's first reaction.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I havent gotten to fully experience all the new shit, but I gotta say...

Sub Zero, Johnny Cage, Geras, Nightwolf, Kano, Kabal, Jacqui and Kitana all got useable, variations. I assume there's more...

People bitched so much about Kollector and Raiden I had to see for myself...yeah, they're bad. Scorpion's doesn't seem good. Kang and Lao just simply aren't necessary. I'm guessing over half of the new variations are just simply there so NRS could use all those moves they designed.

¯\(ツ)

Benlo

PrayforSareena
Some characters, as Kitana, had many abilities, and useful/interesting abilities, left. So it was easier to make a 3rd variations for them. Kitana still have 3 abilities left, for example, what could even be an effective 4th variation (up fan toss, a teleport/dive, an air dash)

But many others characters got the more interesting abilities in their first 2 variations so...NRS should have added new abilities for these characters, instead of just mixing the left ones abilities together.

Or at least, buff/fix these abilities.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
When you’re adding 20+ variations to a game, some of them will be good, some of them will be ‘wait and see’, and some of them will not. I think that’s fairly normal and no one was ‘screwed’ — some people are just happier than others.

As always, it’s a start, not a finish, so they’ll continue to make new changes as they patch the game. The smart people will constructively advocate for adjustments they want to see instead of just whining, trashing the devs and burning bridges.

I was one of those in favor of variations (at least for one year after release) because allowing custom moves with the idea of "make you own fighter that fits your style" is not real, since people will always find a build that is just better, and illusion of variety would be that, an illusion. Nobody is gonna pick weak moves. And also, it will give them time to balance them, and allow them later renewing the game.

But honestly, this "variations" NRS is giving us are underwhelming at least:
  • No synergy between moves
  • No relation
  • No gameplan
Let's compare with MKX, where variations are well implemented. You had Predator, where HishQuTen was no doubt the better variation. But many people (myself included) picked Hunter, because of traps and how drastically they change his gameplay. Moves had synergy, they made sense. All this shlt in Mk11 just feels like we are playing with characters built in a "Create you fighter Edit Mode" for a cheap $ 9.99 game.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
  • No relation
  • No gameplan
I can't speak for all variations, but I'd say for Raiden's 3rd variation there's actually some decent synergy and a nice game plan. Truth & Lightning (T&L) gives up combo damage and corner carry, but theoretically Raiden should gain better setups and harassment with his Lightening Rod move (puts the opponent in an electric bubble on amp which causes a hit if the opponent leaves the bubble, re-directs projectiles). Jo Push lets Raiden side switch if he's in the corner, and has some ok range and works as a potential way to check an opponent who's just walking in. There's a pretty clear game plan in that variation.

The problem is Lightning Rod goes away so fast and Raiden's projectiles have so much startup that there's almost no payoff for actually getting the rod out and set up. You'd need to spend a ton of resources just to maybe get a little bit of chip. It's simply not worth it. To me the bigger problem is that some of the moves for the variations have been toned down too much.

E

Eldriken

Hm. Imagine that. The person calling people names, scrubs, telling people they don't belong here, aren't welcome here, should gtfo, etc is the one who is currently banned!

The fact someone can't see their own behavior as toxic is a real problem.

Sorry any of you had to be subjected to that nonsense. Hopefully his break will clear his head.

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
I was one of those in favor of variations (at least for one year after release) because allowing custom moves with the idea of "make you own fighter that fits your style" is not real, since people will always find a build that is just better, and illusion of variety would be that, an illusion. Nobody is gonna pick weak moves. And also, it will give them time to balance them, and allow them later renewing the game.

• No relation
  • No gameplan
Let's compare with MKX, where variations are well implemented. You had Predator, where HishQuTen was no doubt the better variation. But many people (myself included) picked Hunter, because of traps and how drastically they change his gameplay. Moves had synergy, they made sense. All this shlt in Mk11 just feels like we are playing with characters built in a "Create you fighter Edit Mode" for a cheap $ 9.99 game.
This is the half truth. There are several variations out there with a coherent game plan. There are several variations out there that fit your description and others claiming they're just thrown together. What is angering people like me who haven't really whined about this game all that much until this patch is the consistent favoritism towards certain characters and consistent ignoring of other characters.
From what I gather on twitter this is an NRS tradition. Def will make me reconsider grinding another NRS game after Mk11's lifespan if that's the case.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
NRS officially hates Raiden, but not one buff, lack of buffs in general, shitty KBs, and toned down universal damage on KBs, horribly designed 3rd variation...I can go on but this season I'm done once I reach champion. Sadly I will wind up using him less because nrs insists on shutting on the thunder god

NRS officially hates Raiden, but not one buff, lack of buffs in general, shitty KBs, and toned down universal damage on KBs, horribly designed 3rd variation...I can go on but this season I'm done once I reach champion. Sadly I will wind up using him less because nrs insists on shutting on the thunder god
I'm amazed that they nerfed abilities before putting them into variation 3. Someone at NRS actually looked at the variation and went "This is too strong".

Zer0_h0ur

I'm amazed that they nerfed abilities before putting them into variation 3. Someone at NRS actually looked at the variation and went "This is too strong".
They say NRS doesn't listen but after what they did to kollector they 100% listened to pros whining and complaining to gut that chakram so badly. Saw it coming a mile away

craftycheese

I tried to throw a yo-yo away. It was impossible.
I think it's the Kollector and the shrine, but it wasn't this patch that screwed them. Ever since they added the rewards system, people have had less and less reason too go back to them.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
They say NRS doesn't listen but after what they did to kollector they 100% listened to pros whining and complaining to gut that chakram so badly. Saw it coming a mile away
Maybe NRS only takes feedback from the "pros" and ignores everyone else now?

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
Frost got kinda screwed

They nerfed the shit out of her bomb and her auger.

NRS at this point seem clueless or criminally lazy.
I haven't tested out anything other than the 3rd variation. What changed about her bomb and her auger?

Zer0_h0ur

Honestly, they should just allow custom variations, let the game be broken, UMVC3 was broken and people loved it.
Majority of people think that will lead to everyone using optimal most damaging variation loadout.

Personally, I'd find variations that are fun to play and learn to git gud with them, but think I'm in the minority. The reward for me in this game is learning and getting better with characters I have fun with, more so than just racking up as many W's as possible.

I'd be all for customs, even if I faced the same optimal variation of LK, scorpion, etc. We've faced sick tournament legal OP loadouts since launch, adjusted, and learned the match up, at least to some degree. If Geras infinite Warden was released as a 3rd loadout everyone would be freaking out how ridiculous it is. But since it's been around since launch it's less an issue. Bc we've adjusted to it, at least somewhat. No one here has a 100% loss rate against Geras, I'd bet.