What's new

Can someone confirm bait and switch

jamessmk

I am your god
Can anyone at MLG Dallas confirm that the monitors were Acer or Asus monitors with the names covered with BenQ sticks in them?

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
BenQ sticks?? or stickers?? lol that seems wierd man,

my guess, the stream monitors were BenQ, not sure about the actual tourny monitors that the normal folk played on

4x4lo8o

Noob
The monitors at MLG were Asus monitors with BenQ stickers over the logo. I'll get a picture today.

The mainstage monitors may have been different, I'll try and find out

REYTHEGREAT

wow really? lol damn MLG and their tricky ways haha. Jamesmk will have some blowing up on tuesday!

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
They probably have some kind of deal with BenQ, but wanted to cater to the fighting game players as well. I don't mind this "bait and switch", but that's just me.

i noticed this before play even started, lol. when they were setting stuff up i hit the power button on one of the monitors and one of the guys there was like "nonono dont..." and a huge ASUS popped up on the screen, lol.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Wow thats interesting. At least they are listening to us, and they have to do what the have to do with sponsorships. I wouldn't worry about it.

CYracks

Command Grabber
It's weird, I was wondering if something like this could happen while I was watching the stream. I know from personal experience how much Benq sucks and wondered why they would use such shitty monitors for professional gaming.

It's weird, I was wondering if something like this could happen while I was watching the stream. I know from personal experience how much Benq sucks and wondered why they would use such shitty monitors for professional gaming.
benq doesnt suck, still a good (nearly-)lagless monitor, it's just soooooooo bright and it is oriented a little differently (same hypotenuse as ASUS but it is taller and not as wide), so you have to learn the monitor.

CYracks

Command Grabber
benq doesnt suck, still a good (nearly-)lagless monitor, it's just soooooooo bright and it is oriented a little differently (same hypotenuse as ASUS but it is taller and not as wide), so you have to learn the monitor.
I don't have time to learn the monitor if I'm going to be in the AO for only 2 days. Benq sucks plenty I wasn't the only one complaing. Probably have myself partly to blame though. I play on a zero lag gaming projector, so it feels like every monitor has a little lag.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Because Benq paid them & supplied the monitors

I don't have time to learn the monitor if I'm going to be in the AO for only 2 days. Benq sucks plenty I wasn't the only one complaing. Probably have myself partly to blame though. I play on a zero lag gaming projector, so it feels like every monitor has a little lag.
its lag isnt worse than asus, if you're complaining between .02 and .03 milliseconds you're just being a prick imo. otherwise until you give a substantiated reason why you think it's worse i feel there is no reason to give credibility to your claim.

CYracks

Command Grabber
its lag isnt worse than asus, if you're complaining between .02 and .03 milliseconds you're just being a prick imo. otherwise until you give a substantiated reason why you think it's worse i feel there is no reason to give credibility to your claim.
Lol, do you work for Benq? I'm sorry your product is so shitty that the company you sponsor is embarrassed to use your monitors.

jamessmk

I am your god
While I respect the shady tactics of MLG, it does make me laugh. And this is "supposed" to be a major company doing used car salesman tactics. I mean I am sure BenQ gave a good amount of money to be MLG exclusive monitors. But on a "BUSINESS" aspect, looks like a child like maneuver. I will not put them on blast over this, but just remember the MO, this is the nature of this business. Fucking people over. Nuff said

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
Idk guys sounds like a bunch of unsubstantiated rumors. Anyone who was actually there would tell you the same thing.

CptXecution

Brain Dead Bro
Fucking people over.....by trying to help/level with the FGC, this was probably something they worked out with BenQ where they probably agreed if they covered up ASUS and put BenQ label on it. I like the move by MLG and don't think they should get any crap for this. They know we aren't stupid and the tape isn't invisible, they weren't trying to "hide" anything.