What's new

Brainiac Matchup Discussion

Where do you think Brainiac currently sits on the IJ2 tier list?

• Top tier

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • High tier

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • Mid-high tier

Votes: 22 44.9%
  • Mid-tier

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • Mid-low tier

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Low tier

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bottom tier

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Ok, so I decided to make a MU list.
This is PURELY for the sake of discussion and not to be taken too seriously. It's just my opinion from my experience.

Sub 6-4
Swamp 6-4
Cyborg 4-6
Cat woman 5-5
Flash 5-5
Green lantern 4-6
Harley 4-6
Batman 4-6
Red hood 5-5
Superman 5-5
Joker 5-5
Atrocitus 5-5
Grodd 7-3
Cheetah 6-4
Dead shot 4-6
Poison ivy 6-4
Star fire 4-6
Supergirl 4-6
Green arrow 5-5
Dr fate 5-5
Blue beetle 5-5
Firestorm 4-6
Aquaman 5-5
Black canary 6-4
Darkseid 4-6
Wonder Woman 4-6
Black Adam 5-5
Captain cold 6-4
Robin 5-5
Scarecrow 5-5
Bane 6-4

8 - advantage
13 - even
11 - disadvantage

jcbowie

...more deadly than the dawn.
How do you play the Robin matchup? I feel like Robin can get away with doing all the unsafe shit he wants because he's got better footsies and better damage for the little ways he gets in.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I just want to say that the stage you play on can dramatically change the matchup.

Background bounce is huge for this character and having options like the unblockables in the Batcave or the Fortress of Solitude stuff goes a long way. Especially in matchups where the approach is tough, background bounces keep him dangerous midscreen and other ones keep his approach from being stale.

I think it's significant enough to affect MU numbers slightly if you are into those.

foxof42

Thanksgiving corner game, going ham and stuffing
Scarecrow main chiming in to this thread to say Brainiac is NOT a 5/5. 6/4 Brainiac easily, possibly worse. My experience mainly comes from Myztery_Bot and a stray match with Scar in ranked. Let me elaborate.

Walk back with trait is an incredible tool for Brainiac in this MU. Jumping is absolutely out of the question. The range of his F1 if not whiffed puts him right where Brainiac seems to do his best work, so good luck walking right into the danger zone and reacting. If F1 whiffs, you played yourself.

F2 is the better option (as usual). But even that requires a lot of conditioning and footsies. If you manage to F2 into his plus frames - and Brainiac doesn't pushblock - welcome to 50/50 town where you can get 140-250 with meter midscreen and he will get DOUBLE with the right read.

One of SC's strong tools is a command grab that is almost unpunishable by most of the cast. Brainiac makes you think twice before going for any of that, or even trying for d1-d1 to bait something.

The only things I will give SC in this MU is instant air fear blast, the range of his F2 to challenge trait calls on block, and a 6f d1 for easy MB divekick punishes.

foxof42

Thanksgiving corner game, going ham and stuffing
Is there something I'm missing about this MU? I would honestly take a Deadshot over Brainiac at this point.

Scarecrow
I play Brainiac and scarecrow is one of the few characters that I don't fear. Just grind the matchup. Make sure you have good reads and don't let him have air space control so your anti-airs will need to be on point. Other than that its a tough matchup for you. Brainiac is good against characters with no zoning ability.

KGA Prosaic

RM Prosaic
As a firestorm player, I'm having an incredibly difficult time against the Brainaic MU. It maybe me personally but I'll explain certain situations that happen frequently.

Trait pressure on knockdown is incredibly difficult to handle. The 50/50s on the knockdown is annoying but the real issue us when I try to wakeup torpedo. I can be punished with a divekick timed correctly.

In the neutral, I'm not able to punish iadk. Frame data says I should have no issue punishing but not even a reversal torpedo can do the job. I also find myself wasting my meter on push block and MB Burst. Firestorms j1 is losing to brainaics j1 and j2 but trades with divekick.

The only advantage I seem to really have is converting off fireballs that anti air and an actually anded mb burst. Then I can start my vortex.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
As a firestorm player, I'm having an incredibly difficult time against the Brainaic MU. It maybe me personally but I'll explain certain situations that happen frequently.

Trait pressure on knockdown is incredibly difficult to handle. The 50/50s on the knockdown is annoying but the real issue us when I try to wakeup torpedo. I can be punished with a divekick timed correctly.

In the neutral, I'm not able to punish iadk. Frame data says I should have no issue punishing but not even a reversal torpedo can do the job. I also find myself wasting my meter on push block and MB Burst. Firestorms j1 is losing to brainaics j1 and j2 but trades with divekick.

The only advantage I seem to really have is converting off fireballs that anti air and an actually anded mb burst. Then I can start my vortex.
I don't have much exp in thr MU but heres some thoughts:

-Delayed wakeup is your friend, but you want to be prepared to challenge with wakeup, especially midscreen. Be very careful waking up in the corner. Be aware of gimmicky setups that you can jump out of and the like but really it seems best to throw off oki timing to mitigate 50/50s and to keep them honest with wakeup.

-Air torpedo should be very effective at stopping Brainiacs air approach.

-Torpedo and fireball may be good at stopping block trait cancels, something like b12~trait.

- Divekick isn't always punishable, and there is pushback. MB divekick is -8 in most situations. You have to practice punishing it in different situations and be aware of when it's safer, such as when it hits low on your character. Don't be mad if you can only get pressure after a divekick, but try to get good at punishing MB divekick.

DavesHotnJuicy

jmack_215
So what can Ivy do against him? I’ve played some brainiacs who don’t play around in the air as much but then there are some who play in the air all game. I’ve tried neutral jumping, d2(which sometimes doesn’t go high enough). I have a hard time even punishing his dive kick with a d1. I feel lost

KGA Prosaic

RM Prosaic
I don't have much exp in thr MU but heres some thoughts:

-Delayed wakeup is your friend, but you want to be prepared to challenge with wakeup, especially midscreen. Be very careful waking up in the corner. Be aware of gimmicky setups that you can jump out of and the like but really it seems best to throw off oki timing to mitigate 50/50s and to keep them honest with wakeup.

-Air torpedo should be very effective at stopping Brainiacs air approach.

-Torpedo and fireball may be good at stopping block trait cancels, something like b12~trait.

- Divekick isn't always punishable, and there is pushback. MB divekick is -8 in most situations. You have to practice punishing it in different situations and be aware of when it's safer, such as when it hits low on your character. Don't be mad if you can only get pressure after a divekick, but try to get good at punishing MB divekick.
Im so bad at forgetting how good delay wakeup is

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Hi lol
So what can Ivy do against him? I’ve played some brainiacs who don’t play around in the air as much but then there are some who play in the air all game. I’ve tried neutral jumping, d2(which sometimes doesn’t go high enough). I have a hard time even punishing his dive kick with a d1. I feel lost