What's new

Brainiac Combo Thread

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
I haven't seen anyone else mention this but it should be better to end with the hard knockdown so that the plus frames can be used for trait activation set-up. For example:

I also found it useful to change trait to the right bumper if using a controller.

Here are the combo notations In order of the video.

Corner:
Ex DB2(air), f3, BF3, d1xxDF2

(Only use after Dox Drill ender):

Trait (hold), f1 (d1 and df1 work as well)xxBF3, Trait release (release before BF3), d2xxBF3. d1xxDF2

Midscreen:

Trait Hold, any string into BF3, Trait release, 2,3xxDF2

Ex DB2(air), b3, BF3, 3xxDF2
(This switches sides)

After Dox Drill (DF2), Brainiac pretty much gets a free Trait activation to do whatever he wants with.
Do the low starters also combo into trait midscreen? If so, does he have an unseeable 50/50 after any knockdown anywhere on screen?

My first combo with Brainiac using one bar. This is competitive mode so the damage is real. Exploring him I believe that F23 into trait can do some good set ups later I will post if I find good stuff.

I can't see this character being about the damage. To me, Brainiac is like a wall of defense that can zone a little. You can't jump on him and his normals have very good range. This character is the Guile of Injustice imo.

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
I can't see this character being about the damage. To me, Brainiac is like a wall of defense that can zone a little. You can't jump on him and his normals have very good range. This character is the Guile of Injustice imo.
Guile forces everyone to come to him though.

Brainiac has to approach everyone else. To me he's more like Birdie.

Is it possible to stay in the air with the tentacle float thingy
http://xboxclips.com/Peckapowa/ded5b060-8041-4352-b333-c07909670fc2

he can stay int he air forever. The potential for troling the opponent is unlimited with this character.

we could even make a challenge for how many reps you can pull on ranked person - or hwo man y you can do in training mode.

I've stayed in the air for quite some time with him. There's a point where he doesn't get any lower in the ground, it just takes timing.

It's unbelievable hwo funny this character is, diving kicking all over the place and doing shit like this.

If you are just going for damage this combo will do about 20 damage more: MBDivekick, B3, Shoulder Charge, 12~MBTendril Thrash
I know, but that combo is a little more risky due to the frame strict execution required to connect succesfully the 12 after the shoulder charge. Jump in 3 into MB dive kick is really easy to connect, then you can choose how to end your combo, 3 into tendril thrash is the more practical, B12 into Tendril thrash is a little bit more specific timing but no so hard.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I know, but that combo is a little more risky due to the frame strict execution required to connect succesfully the 12 after the shoulder charge. Jump in 3 into MB dive kick is really easy to connect, then you can choose how to end your combo, 3 into tendril thrash is the more practical, B12 into Tendril thrash is a little bit more specific timing but no so hard.
I don't really feel that landing the 12~tendril is that bad in that combo but none the less I like your combo a lot as it has much better corner carry and keeps a good knockdown.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Edit: Damage is now pre patch.

Common BNB's of varying difficulty for people trying to pick Brainy up(damage on Competitive Superman):

Standing 1 punish or clean jump in:

12U2, 12U2, 12~DF2 (217)

12U2, D2~BF3, 12~DF2 (231)

12U2, MB Divekick, B3, (slight walk forward), B12~DF2 (306)

MB Divekick:

MB Divekick, (tiny delay), D2~BF3, 12~DF2 (282)

MB Divekick, B3, JI1, 12~DF2 (329)

MB Divekick, B3, BF3(Side switch), 12~DF2 (372, end in 212 for more dmg and another side switch.)

MB Divekick, B3, BF3(Side switch), 12~MBDB2 (465, 2 bars)

Midscreen F3:

F3, B12~BF3 (247, good for long range F3)

F3, 3~BF3, 3~BF3 (349)

Corner F3:

F3, 3~BF3, 3~DF2(357, 12~DF2 is slightly easier, MBDB2 as ender for 460 dmg.)

Last edited:

ApplePonyEater

Triumph of science or crime against nature?
I'm just experimenting with this character. Does anyone use anything like this?
Makes divekick safe without meterburn.
That's pretty cool, since I started playing Brainiac I never really used his beta except for full screen pressure/chip damage, I didn't consider using it to make the dive safe, nice!

ApplePonyEater

Triumph of science or crime against nature?
As a combo ender, who here prefers which of the following and why?

1. Cybernetic Charge
  2. Dox Drill
  3. Living Metal
Do any of these moves have advantages over the other ones when it comes to ending combos with them?

YoungTeezy 305

Work Hard Play Hard
As a combo ender, who here prefers which of the following and why?

1. Cybernetic Charge
  2. Dox Drill
  3. Living Metal
Do any of these moves have advantages over the other ones when it comes to ending combos with them?
Cybernetic charge leaves me at crossup jump in range, dox drill is great for hit advantage and calling out a drone. Living metal is great for side switching and a little extra damage.

I'm just experimenting with this character. Does anyone use anything like this?
Makes divekick safe without meterburn.
That is the base of a vortexy set up I use- end combo in f23xxtrait charge than either the divekick combo you have shown here back in to f23xxtrait charge, or d+f1 (trait release) xxBF3, trait hits, F23xxtrait charge. And that is without meter. With meter you can do instant air divekick MB, B3, F23xxtrait charge after the trait hits in both combos. If you time the divekick and d+f1 differently it stuffs a lot of wake ups as well, but those are character specific timings.

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
That is the base of a vortexy set up I use- end combo in f23xxtrait charge than either the divekick combo you have shown here back in to f23xxtrait charge, or d+f1 (trait release) xxBF3, trait hits, F23xxtrait charge. And that is without meter. With meter you can do instant air divekick MB, B3, F23xxtrait charge after the trait hits in both combos. If you time the divekick and d+f1 differently it stuffs a lot of wake ups as well, but those are character specific timings.
Gonna try that out. This character seems pretty fun so far, but I really don't like how the trait charge goes awawy when you block something. Been messing with this too..

Gonna try that out. This character seems pretty fun so far, but I really don't like how the trait charge goes awawy when you block something. Been messing with this too..

I was hype for brainiac since the I2 first trailer, really trying to stay loyal to him but he seems to be lacking in comparison to other characters. A Lot of his set ups and combos rely on the trait being charged prior to that. But he can't have it because any character with a projectile can just shut that down most of the time.
I' d say he either needs it not to go away when he blocks something, or he needs to get another tool to extend ground combos, like the tendril harpoon or that beam from his ship. And some of his frames need to be looked at he is like -15 at best after most of his useful strings if he doesn't spend meter, the only safe tool is a properly spaced divekick.

YoungTeezy 305

Work Hard Play Hard
Buff ideas:
• B1 and B1,2 can be less negative on block so that it can be used to stagger.
• Beta bombs should not go away when Brainiac is touched while blocking.
• Make MB dive kick -5 or -6.