What's new

Both of Jax and Kano's Tournament Variations Revealed (One of Kitana's)

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
Nah dude a lot of these guys gotta play ranked only to practice for all the big money tourneys they’re going to get top 8 in and their online spots at #1 in ranked.
:DOGE
No need to be like that. I play ranked almost exclusively because I don't feel satisfied unless there are some stakes and I know I beat someone who was trying their best to win. Climbing the ladder and knowing that most, if not all, of my opponents are bringing the strongest, cheapest tools they know to the fight is what brings me satisfaction.

Playing in unranked where many of the players are goofing off, experimenting, or building confidence does nothing for me.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
After reviewing both Jax's and Kano's variations, it looks to me like there is one variation focuses on getting in on defense play (Dirtbag and Grinnin' Barrett) and the other focuses on flat out mix-ups. Of course, there will differences from the other characters, but it's a common trend between both of these.

As a Kano main, after the initial shock of seeing what they chose, I think Kano will end up being a strong character. I'm not going to go into to too much because I already did on the Kano Discussion thread, but yeah... both these variations are juuuuuuust fine lol.

Last edited:

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
I don't know about all of you, but I'm just going to chill in Casual with my own variations. Ranked probably won't even be a proper Ranked mode if past NRS games are anything to go off of, anyway (here's to hoping I'm wrong).
Here's to hoping that you're wrong too.

NRS not putting in a proper ranking system at this point would be a huge letdown, especially if this is the last fighting game we'll get from them for a while.

I honestly think they do though. Derek vaguely confirms it in the interview he did.

Last edited:

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
No need to be like that. I play ranked almost exclusively because I don't feel satisfied unless there are some stakes and I know I beat someone who was trying their best to win. Climbing the ladder and knowing that most, if not all, of my opponents are bringing the strongest, cheapest tools they know to the fight is what brings me satisfaction.

Playing in unranked where many of the players are goofing off, experimenting, or building confidence does nothing for me.
Seeing as how the player match matchmaking in this game will be skill based, you’ll inevitably be matched via non-recorded ranking predominantly with people who are actually going to challenge you, so I don’t see that argument.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I actually think NRS has done well with the variations we seen so far (Competitive Vars). Even if I was to pick my favorite 3 moves I'm sure many would like other loadouts and feel certain moves where locked behind casual wall. I don't think anyone could pick the right moves. If they get thier best 3 then the characters will be too OD and if they get only 1 many will feel left out. Personally I think it will be fine since we can master the characters entire moveset and later down the line moves can be slightly adjusted to be more/less viable depending on loadout combinations.
I'm more scared that certain characters will get special treatment like in previous games: Cyrax losing HTB while others keep it. Quan losing HTB while tekada keeps it. Raiden/D'Vorah losing Cancel pressure while Liu Kang and others keep it. There where multiple examples of this in multiple games.
MK11examples are:
Most of the cast not having 50/50 launchers but Liu Kang getting multiple options that corner carry along with great normals and above average zoning.
I hope everything is balanced well in MK11 because I'm seeing favoritism.
No I'm not saying characters shouldn't have cool tools or should be nerfed I just hope they don't have easy openers that are safe and OD.

Blizer

Cheap Kollector Rip Off
Alright, Jade has her up glaive, air glaive, and the one move where if you enhance, you teleport

So, her zoning and keepaway variation, and its ehh

The second one is likely the more rushdown one, so im guessing run, deadly assassin, and another ability (Idk what i would put there, but those two i mentioned are a given for rushdown jade.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
So this 100% confirms that nrs absolutely did not learn from their past mistakes and again are locking away moves behind non competitive play.. how are people not more pissed off about this.. what a joke
NRS has stated that more preset variations will be released to allow all moves to be used somehow.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Didn't they also show Jade's and Cetrions? Or did I miss a note about those not being final.

When they did the Cetrion breakdown they weren't in tournament mode (saying they would do tournament mode later for the matches) and didn't specify if anything was beyond 16 Bit saying "I gave her these earth based abilities". It's possible, but I'd take it with a grain of salt. Only Kitana's first variation was confirmed, and the competitive ones in the battle.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Something I think some people might want to remember:

The goal is to use as many of a character’s equippable moves across these variations as possible (so each one might see tournament play), but the priority will be to make sure these variations give every character a strong toolset. “They're definitely well thought-out, it's not like we just went 'Oh, cool, these three things look cool, slap those in.'” says NetherRealm lead designer John Edwards.

-Gameinformer interviewing John Edwards

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/04/02/how-mortal-kombat-11s-custom-variations-will-work-in-competitive-play

While some of these choices might seem unoptimal at the moment, just know that NRS is balancing each of these variations in relation to everyone else's variations. Also, there might be more that meets the eye when it comes to these choices at first glance.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
So they were able to balance mkx 90+ variations but now it’s just “too hard” gtfo...

Funny how many blind nrs nut riders are here. This is just either A.) lack of preparation or B) plain laziness..
MKX didn't balance 90+ variations.
They had 90+ variations and 90% weren't tournament viable at all.

The game isn't out yet man. We have 2 choices here.

We could either A) Complain or B) Theorize

You've chosen A.
That's fine. I don't mind when people have opinions, but don't just angrily mock everyone else for not joining you with your assumptions.

Last edited:
I am really worried they will not have misery blade in any variation for Scorpion. He will be then worst character ever made in history of nrs

Blizer

Cheap Kollector Rip Off
I mean, I know misery blade was a must for scorpion, but they likely buffed other parts of his kit. The Beta was a old build for the game, so there has been likely a good amount of changes to scorpion

if Misery Blade is still mandatory, NRS fucked up somewhere.

even though the whole variation thing is disappointing, i think theyre playing it right. custom variations are awesome but might break everything, so its great they look into it before just unleashing the beast. the opportunity to add new variations at will, even proven balanced by the community, is great. and still, theres a lot of fun to be had with 50 vars on day one.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
Here's to hoping that you're wrong too.

NRS not putting in a proper ranking system at this point would be a huge letdown, especially if this is the last fighting game we'll get from them for a while.

I honestly think they do though. Derek vaguely confirms it in the interview he did.
I want it too but, Paulo vaguely confirmed secret characters in an interview too and look how that turned out. They just say stuff