What's new

Both of Jax and Kano's Tournament Variations Revealed (One of Kitana's)

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage

Shoutouts to @16 Bit. You KNOW I'm going to screencap and clip this LOL!

Kano
Ripper- Lumbar check/Rack off/Manhandled
Dirtbag- Vegemighty/Molotov/Chemical Burn

Jax

Grinnin' Barrett- Duck and Weave Stance/????/Overhead Combo Starter Special

Hunker Down: Command Grab/ Air Throw?/Overhead Beatdown Move (2 player animation that Tyler loves doing)

Kitana
Reflect/Flutter (double jump)/Grounded Square Boost

Something I think some people might need to hear:

The goal is to use as many of a character’s equippable moves across these variations as possible (so each one might see tournament play), but the priority will be to make sure these variations give every character a strong toolset. “They're definitely well thought-out, it's not like we just went 'Oh, cool, these three things look cool, slap those in.'” says NetherRealm lead designer John Edwards.

-Gameinformer interviewing John Edwards

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/04/02/how-mortal-kombat-11s-custom-variations-will-work-in-competitive-play

Last edited:

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
Man handled was the one gear move I was hoping wouldn’t be paired with command grab and counter cause you can’t do a string without side switching..

Oh well

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
The official names of Kitana's variation moves given on stream: Ground Oar (at least, that's how it sounds to me? Could probably ask Steve on twitter for confirmation. Anyway, that's the Grounded Square Boost), Royal Protection (the projectile absorb, it does not reflect), and Flutter (it's ya double jump/float).

The official names of Kitana's variation moves given on stream: Ground Oar (at least, that's how it sounds to me? Could probably ask Steve on twitter for confirmation. Anyway, that's the Grounded Square Boost), Royal Protection (the projectile absorb, it does not reflect), and Flutter (it's ya double jump/float).
It sounded like ground work to me, which makes more sense.

Guess I can cross Kano off my list of characters that I'm going to try. Neither of his variations have either of his combo extending specials or any of the other moves I was interested in. Can't wait to find out that Baraka doesn't have gutted at all, and that his grab is paired with some crap like blade walk.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
I was definitely interested in Jax already, and I guess I'm pretty happy with these variants. If indeed his second Grinnin' Barrett move is the arm heat self-buff, that kind of feels like a waste--why stop and pop a passive, unsafe move to get a buff that you get naturally by continuing to apply pressure? So meh... but I guess the mix-up you get with duck 'n weave plus the overhead is good enough to make it all decent.

On Hunker Down, yeah, I'm guessing that's the set of extended strings. But do we know what that includes? 16Bit only ever mentioned the 221122 explicitly. Are we sure that overhead beatdown (with KB) is an extended string? Ugh, I'm a bit bummed if it is... I don't really care about the extra throws in that variant but that beatdown is just soooooo good...

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
On Hunker Down, yeah, I'm guessing that's the set of extended strings. But do we know what that includes? 16Bit only ever mentioned the 221122 explicitly. Are we sure that overhead beatdown (with KB) is an extended string? Ugh, I'm a bit bummed if it is... I don't really care about the extra throws in that variant but that beatdown is just soooooo good...
The string extended on Hunker Down is this:

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
I can’t imagine that Mileena stance not being one of Kitana’s tournament variations. They’re probably just not 100% set on what other specials to put with it yet.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
The string extended on Hunker Down is this:
Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of. I don't remember anyone saying for sure it was a variant move, and I was holding out hope it was one of his base strings. sigh Oh well, I guess that's a good reason to try both variants.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Soooooo...War Hero, the most exciting version of Jax I've ever seen in all my days, isn't happening in tournament?

So much for that idea.
Isn’t Hunker Down the exact same as War Hero?

War hero was the variation he showed first on Jax’s reveal KK.

It had Quan slam, Burning Hammer, and that extended string where he punches the shit out of your head and it Krushing blows at full heat.

That’s what Hunker Down has.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
If Baraka doesn't have gutted im going to be a sad panda.

Still though, since I haven't played or seen Shao Kahn yet I have no particular hopes for him which is kind of good in a weird way lol and I really want to try out Kollector.

Thingy

Retired account
So this 100% confirms that nrs absolutely did not learn from their past mistakes and again are locking away moves behind non competitive play.. how are people not more pissed off about this.. what a joke
I am okay with it. Custom variations seemed like a disaster waiting to happen. If it turns out to be balanced, then I will bet we see competitive rules change in the near future.

So NRS couldn't balance a 3 variation game, I am totally cool with competitive play being limited to 2 variations. If you do not like the competitive system, PLAYER MATCH all day. Prove that custom variations are okay for competitive play. If custom variations prove to be fine for competitive play, then by all means, let the outrage shine. Until then, just wait to see the final product before being a drama queen.

I am okay with it. Custom variations seemed like a disaster waiting to happen. If it turns out to be balanced, then I will bet we see competitive rules change in the near future.

So NRS couldn't balance a 3 variation game, I am totally cool with competitive play being limited to 2 variations. If you do not like the competitive system, PLAYER MATCH all day. Prove that custom variations are okay for competitive play. If custom variations prove to be fine for competitive play, then by all means, let the outrage shine. Until then, just wait to see the final product before being a drama queen.
I agree with the previous poster. Some moves will never see the light of day until they are allowed in tournament. They could buff nerf just by changing the weight cost of the move. Just seems a waste to leave some moves only for casual matches. I mean why not at least ranked? Fine for actual tournaments but not ranked? Why not prove custom variations are NOT ok?

dribirut

BLAK FELOW

So other games having 50+ characters

it seems like most of us here do not agree with your opinion.. no drama queens.. reality