What's new

Born On a Monday -- Solomon Grundy General Discussion/QA/Combo Thread

Hey, everyone. These are the highest damaging resets midscreen for Grundy I could come up with. Just to shake the Grundy forums up a little:)

First, the 92% midscreen reset. It requires 4 bars of meter: 51%+41%

And now the same reset with Power Chain Boost which does 104% midscreen!!!!: 61%+44%

So just like Cyrax, Cyrus Gold has a death combo midscreen:)

ll Nooby ll
AK L0rdoftheFLY
BurdManJR270
Mikemetroid
@everyone on Grundy forums

Sorry for shitty quality:)

The reset goes like this:
J2 112 xx MB B3 J3 11 xx MB Swamp Hands MB Grave Rot J2 B1 (this part does 51% normally and 61% with Power Chain Boost) Power Chain Trait Grab (this part does 41% as it is and 44% with Power Chain Boost)

This is actually not that hard to do execution wise! The only real problem would be having that much meter in a match lol...Grundy just eats through that shit
Yeah! It isn't hard at all. Meter is a great problem, but this could change the strategy in some match ups. The main goal will be to get 4 bars even if it means taking damage and than just kill with one touch. You have to account for clash though:/

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Yeah! It isn't hard at all. Meter is a great problem, but this could change the strategy in some match ups. The main goal will be to get 4 bars even if it means taking damage and than just kill with one touch. You have to account for clash though:/
That means that it's probably a way to comeback out of really bad beating more than anything, in certain matchups.
As a note, I could never pull 112~BC, it's like it never connects. What is it that I'm doing wrong?

Oh, and another minor thing, BnB thread suggests to use J2,b1~[MB]Hands after bounce. To me it was easier to connect than 11~... at least. May or may not be better damage-wise as well.

That means that it's probably a way to comeback out of really bad beating more than anything, in certain matchups.
As a note, I could never pull 112~BC, it's like it never connects. What is it that I'm doing wrong?

Oh, and another minor thing, BnB thread suggests to use J2,b1~[MB]Hands after bounce. To me it was easier to connect than 11~... at least. May or may not be better damage-wise as well.
Don't know about 112 not connecting into MBB3. I get it every time. I will look into j2 b1 possibilities for more damage.Thanks!

I also would like to ask the community about B1 xx MB Grave Rot connecting into 112 and not connecting into a Trait reset. I mean the common opinion is that 112 connects because of extra + frames that canceling into MB GR gives you. But if it is the case and you are at more +frames after canceling B1 into MB GR than after just B1, shouldn't Trait throw be inescapable just like after B1 without canceling???but it is escapable, I have been thinking about it a lot and had the idea that properties of MB GR cause 112 to combo afterwards. But there isn't any proof and it doesn't make sense to me. Does anyone know the answer??????

RM NoBrows

Supah hawt fiyah
I also would like to ask the community about B1 xx MB Grave Rot connecting into 112 and not connecting into a Trait reset. I mean the common opinion is that 112 connects because of extra + frames that canceling into MB GR gives you. But if it is the case and you are at more +frames after canceling B1 into MB GR than after just B1, shouldn't Trait throw be inescapable just like after B1 without canceling???but it is escapable, I have been thinking about it a lot and had the idea that properties of MB GR cause 112 to combo afterwards. But there isn't any proof and it doesn't make sense to me. Does anyone know the answer??????
If you do b1 MB GR, you can still do the inescapable reset with trait grab,but it's very strict timing. If you try to b1 again before doing trait grab the can block or dash out.

If you do b1 MB GR, you can still do the inescapable reset with trait grab,but it's very strict timing. If you try to b1 again before doing trait grab the can block or dash out.
I don't think you can do B1 MB GR Trait grab without opponent being able to jump forward or backwards. I tested that on a jumping dumby a lot. But even if it is possible the timing for that is obviously stricter than just doing B1 Trait Grab. But MB GR is supposed to give more plus frames after being canceled into from B1. So that isn't answering my question

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
So I've seen the norm is that when you score a EX WC knockdown, and you wanna do the neutral jump 2 setup, you double dash, stance switch, then do it.

I have been playing around with just doing grave rot, dash twice, and then go into the setup. It worked 100% of the time against Lantern's Might. He was unable to get me. I mean granted, I need to test it with other wakeups, but it seems promising.

Let me know if this is something useful or new. I have been away for awhile.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
i do rot dash dash nj3 11 trait , does over 50%
also nj3, d2, 1 MB swamp hands,ji2, b1 ,works midscreen too

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
Ahhhh so I'm not retarded? Nice.

Also, I noticed on Fortress of Solitude if you're getting backed into the right corner, and you get off a EX WC and they are too far to follow up with 1,b2 , you can actually use the laser to continue into a combo. Probably old, because I'm still playing catchup, but I thought it was neat ;_;

Last edited:

fr stack

hey guys wot u think of this as another option to keep people on their toes , say u land a 112 MB swamp hands usually u would go for ji2 b1 into trait (and i reckon most know this) so instead do dash j2 ji3 d2 (if this hits) 1 MB swamp hands again OR 11 trait ... if the ji3 gets blocked do d2 trait OR d2 corpse walk
most good players expect the b1 reset and ive noticed if i fuck it up people are just watching cause its such a long string or they try jump out which this covers as long as u do the j2 late enough

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
hey guys wot u think of this as another option to keep people on their toes , say u land a 112 MB swamp hands usually u would go for ji2 b1 into trait (and i reckon most know this) so instead do dash j2 ji3 d2 (if this hits) 1 MB swamp hands again OR 11 trait ... if the ji3 gets blocked do d2 trait OR d2 corpse walk
most good players expect the b1 reset and ive noticed if i fuck it up people are just watching cause its such a long string or they try jump out which this covers as long as u do the j2 late enough
if you think they're trying to jump out, just do another b1.

Grundy doesn't have the stupideness outside of his chip trait in reality. Even his armor is pretty tame when compared to everything else in the game.
You're better off taking the damage and getting your trait out, then dropping a combo and not getting trait out.

I'm all for gimmicks AFTER the trait is out, but not before. Grundy DEF. loses his MU's when he can't get his trait out. The second you get the chip trait on the screen, MU's turn. Even his WORST MU's become pretty much in his favor.

fr stack

if you think they're trying to jump out, just do another b1.

Grundy doesn't have the stupideness outside of his chip trait in reality. Even his armor is pretty tame when compared to everything else in the game.
You're better off taking the damage and getting your trait out, then dropping a combo and not getting trait out.

I'm all for gimmicks AFTER the trait is out, but not before. Grundy DEF. loses his MU's when he can't get his trait out. The second you get the chip trait on the screen, MU's turn. Even his WORST MU's become pretty much in his favor.
oh definitely trait first its not even that good a gimmick but i find when playin the same person for a while sometimes u need to mindfuck them

fr stack

just found out that if you do 1b2 in the corner you can reverse wake ups , works by doin 1b2 WCC , WCC , to make this practical heres a combo u can do to set it up :
(in corner) 112 bf2 MB , b1 bf2 , 1 db2 MB, dash, nj2 1b2 WCC , WCC ,
also if u just do one WCC at the end and neutral jump it will cross up

HP Hatecraft

I am the beginning, I am the end.
just found out that if you do 1b2 in the corner you can reverse wake ups , works by doin 1b2 WCC , WCC , to make this practical heres a combo u can do to set it up :
(in corner) 112 bf2 MB , b1 bf2 , 1 db2 MB, dash, nj2 1b2 WCC , WCC ,
also if u just do one WCC at the end and neutral jump it will cross up
You can 1b2 forward dash twice and neutral jump to reverse the wake ups as well.

The reset goes like this:
J2 112 xx MB B3 J3 11 xx MB Swamp Hands MB Grave Rot J2 B1 (this part does 51% normally and 61% with Power Chain Boost) Power Chain Trait Grab (this part does 41% as it is and 44% with Power Chain Boost)

I checked and Ji3 1 1 in this reset after MB wallbounce cancel does more damage than ji2 b1. And also this reset can be very paractical because even if you start it with 112 ( without initial ji2 , which is more practical) you still get 101% while being Power Chain boosted.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
So if I were a person looking to pick Grundy up as another character in his man-stable, where should I start?

What are the...how shall I say...fundamentals of Solomon Grundy?

What should ever proper and GOOD Grundy Player be doing?

fr stack

So if I were a person looking to pick Grundy up as another character in his man-stable, where should I start?

What are the...how shall I say...fundamentals of Solomon Grundy?

What should ever proper and GOOD Grundy Player be doing?
i would say learn his walking corpse cancels , learn his corpse walk MB set ups , his b1 reset stuff all variations , get good at blowing up jumpers (you will get a lot )
find a nice high damage combo for those clutch wins
tailer your trait around your playstyle : tyrant uses chip trait cause hes great defence , i use health trait mostly , so i can bulldoze people with WC
for combos and stuff check out the push the damage thread most of his good stuff is in there , also the knockdown throw trap thread :)

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
@ll Nooby ll @RDK|Tyrant @fr stack @Mikemetroid @HP Hatecraft @any other grundy mains

I've been looking into stuffing wakeups w/ Grundy recently, just browsed the forums and didn't see anything about it. Which of Grundy's normals do you think works the best? I'm thinking 1 or 2 maybe, but then F1 might work better against parry wakeups... I dunno. If any of you have any prior research/knowledge, feel free to help a scrub out :)

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
@ll Nooby ll @RDK|Tyrant @fr stack @Mikemetroid @HP Hatecraft @any other grundy mains

I've been looking into stuffing wakeups w/ Grundy recently, just browsed the forums and didn't see anything about it. Which of Grundy's normals do you think works the best? I'm thinking 1 or 2 maybe, but then F1 might work better against parry wakeups... I dunno. If any of you have any prior research/knowledge, feel free to help a scrub out :)
ji3 is so godlike lol too bad its really hard to get anything off of it.