What's new

Born On a Monday -- Solomon Grundy General Discussion/QA/Combo Thread

Ok, jumping works well. Just seems really weird that I have to be a damn bunny when I play Grundy. Boing boing boing.

Thanks guys!

Btw, DS doesn't need to push block bats as much as other characters, he can interrupt some rush downs with bullets to the face.

RadicalFuzz

Aspiring Fighter
B3/F3 are invincible to grabs during their startup frames, so you could hold a B3/F3 after Grundy's D2 and then, if the grundy goes into something besides the grab, MB it on reaction.

B3/F3 are invincible to grabs during their startup frames, so you could hold a B3/F3 after Grundy's D2 and then, if the grundy goes into something besides the grab, MB it on reaction.
Wow, I feel like such a scrub now, I didn't realise you could choose to MB in the middle of a b3 or f3, I've always done it at the very start. The tactic you suggested sounds like a great way to stop someone from trying to interrupt my rushdown and was exactly the kind of thing i was looking for. Thank you

As pig and fly showed in their video that option is pretty hit or miss. b3/f3 work but its not consistant. If you actually hold the move grundy can grab them. its safer to just always meter burn it.

KingOko

Was it good for you?
Swamp Hands And MB Swamp Hands should track like Aquamans trident. It doesn't make Grundy OP but it makes his projectile a lot more reliable.

Discuss.

PTG Slayer

Behold! The GOD of War!
I definitely agree. I don't main Grundy or anything, but this would definitely make his bad MUs a lot better. On top of that, would definitely not make him OP imo.

Ya this is a pretty good suggestion, not as crazy as some of the other ones ive seen like "make grundy's trait heal him and give him armor" LOL NO

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
Swamp Hands And MB Swamp Hands should track like Aquamans trident. It doesn't make Grundy OP but it makes his projectile a lot more reliable.

Discuss.

I'd rather have that and make it a little faster, than it have armor on it.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I don't know about MB swamp hands. I'd be okay with regular swamp hands though.

MB Swamp Hands ANYWHERE... HAH! I don't mind having a potential 50% anywhere in screen.

Besides, the reason why his trident seems like it racks better is because of two things
1. It hits higher in the air

2. It is a lot faster than swamp hands.

KingOko

Was it good for you?
I don't know about MB swamp hands. I'd be okay with regular swamp hands though.

MB Swamp Hands ANYWHERE... HAH! I don't mind having a potential 50% anywhere in screen.

Besides, the reason why his trident seems like it racks better is because of two things
1. It hits higher in the air

2. It is a lot faster than swamp hands.

Fair enough with the MB Swamp Hands, but honestly wouldn't regular swamp hands being able to track or have a faster start up be a reasonable buff for Grundy?

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
This thread is the main thread you want to use for the following

-Request for buffs
-Request for nerfs
-Discussion

Any other thread in the Grundy sub-forum will be either merged into this thread or will be closed.

D

Deleted member 9158

Buffs? His MB swamp hands needs armour as soon as he starts doing the move, not half way through.

Other than that he's fine imo

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Buffs? His MB swamp hands needs armour as soon as he starts doing the move, not half way through.

Other than that he's fine imo
I don't think this will work because of how the game's MB mechanics work.

Fair enough with the MB Swamp Hands, but honestly wouldn't regular swamp hands being able to track or have a faster start up be a reasonable buff for Grundy?
Yes it would. Not really needed IMO

Nonameformedude

That Yung Big Body
Was gonna post why thats a bad idea, but decided to delete it all just to avoid getting into an argument fueled by rage.
You should have just posted it so I could agree with you and not write my own reasoning on why its bad/not needed

Out of the reasons that make it a bad idea to me, the main problem is that that change would encourage incorrect grundy play. Giving him tracking swamp hands is pushing that tool towards a use that is more like aquamans from the deep. Grundy is an up close grappler, giving him better full screen pressure isnt going to improve his gameplay. This would just have grundys wasting a bar of meter full screen to get in instead of block dashing, and wasting two bars of meter to combo in to pain chain from full screen(giving up a reset and optimal damage). As it is right now the matter of tracking doesnt effect his combos and resets on block or on hit. Really the only thing that it might change is the speed at which they come out since it tracks, and it might change a few cancels into swap hands from being interpretable(something im not for anyway). Now if you just want the move to be better so some links are easier(d2xx11swamp hands hits at more than just the first few falling frames, and it connects when you hit them from a crouching position), and the un MB swamp hands becomes a more reliable tool thats nice..but I feel there are much more impotant changes grundy needs to be able to compete and swamp hands is just something some people want to be better so they dont have to think when they use it. People with parries right now shut him down because you can parry his trait grab. That means his greatest footsie tool outside of standing 2, is UNUSABLE. That would be an example of an important change that would reeeeeeeeeeallly help him compete and strengthen him in MU's

Nerf meter burn trait, that's ridiculous!
Nerf the armour on he's corpse walk, also ridiculous, make it like 2 hits, not time!
Buff nothing because grundy's already too good.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Oh wow....ok so many ideas.

-I don't want 2x on every trait option that would be broken...but, having the ability to get 2x on one trait OR linking two different traits to be able to get 1x on two different traits would be fair.

-To the grave AA should be unclashable throw

-MB version of To the grave to pop up and be clashable.

-Take out the reset from b1 to trait...BUT if you do this...then do this...
-Increase link time from b1 mb grave rot for practical combo potential to increase damage at the cost of a bar.

-Regular grave rot should have a blockable hitbox on startup that is +1 on block. Dont change anything else about the move except a hitbox on startup. On hit it pushes them back with minimal hitstun...maybe 8-9 frames.

To help with Characters that stay in the air:

...without adding brand new moves, I don't know what to do without breaking him. If certain characters get nerfed this wont matter.

D

Deleted member 9158

I can agree with the reset going out but he would have to be buffed significantly then. Clashing a trait grab is ONCE in a match. You guys are underestimating the importance of the reset.
yeah, don't get rid of the b1 reset, he actually needs it

Nonameformedude

That Yung Big Body
Oh wow....ok so many ideas.

-I don't want 2x on every trait option that would be broken...but, having the ability to get 2x on one trait OR linking two different traits to be able to get 1x on two different traits would be fair.

-To the grave AA should be unclashable throw

-MB version of To the grave to pop up and be clashable.

-Take out the reset from b1 to trait...BUT if you do this...then do this...
-Increase link time from b1 mb grave rot for practical combo potential to increase damage at the cost of a bar.

-Regular grave rot should have a blockable hitbox on startup that is +1 on block. Dont change anything else about the move except a hitbox on startup. On hit it pushes them back with minimal hitstun...maybe 8-9 frames.

To help with Characters that stay in the air:

...without adding brand new moves, I don't know what to do without breaking him. If certain characters get nerfed this wont matter.

How can anyone who plays grundy say to get rid of the reset. That is his damage. That is his vortex. Taking away the b1 reset completely kills the characters viability(hell ill say it, it kills the character). I feel the grave rot change is just an ease of use change to make putting grave rot on easier, he already has set up that let him put grave rot on for free, and in your buff it would still go away once he is hit so you just want to be able to cancel anything into a positive on block damage buff for free? Naw man.

He will never be able to control airspace. If someone can hit him from teh air and stay there he only has three options.
1.Hope they come close enough to anti air grab
2. block until the moment they get down then do a 50%+ combo with his reset and put defense chain on. Now they have to come to you in a way that you can fight them
3. pick a different character

Nonameformedude

That Yung Big Body
The only way to remove the reset would be to give him unclashable trait back....... which never should of left.
Would still kill the character IMO. Just think about this for a second
A clash will give you, with no meter use from the opponent, a max of 33% life back.
A raw grundy pain chain is 31%, and any combo into pain chain is >33% . That means when someone clashes grundy they just wasted 4 bars to get back what he does in a trait grab. The best thing about clashing grundy is it puts him full screen. I have found the best way for grundy to build meter is in fact his reset, doing a 3 bars of resets takes away 100%+ and gives him a bar of meter back. A dead guy in two bars, while getting a bar back and you want to take his reset away?!?!

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Would still kill the character IMO. Just think about this for a second
A clash will give you, with no meter use from the opponent, a max of 33% life back.
A raw grundy pain chain is 31%, and any combo into pain chain is >33% . That means when someone clashes grundy they just wasted 4 bars to get back what he does in a trait grab. The best thing about clashing grundy is it puts him full screen. I have found the best way for grundy to build meter is in fact his reset, doing a 3 bars of resets takes away 100%+ and gives him a bar of meter back. A dead guy in two bars, while getting a bar back and you want to take his reset away?!?!
You do realize that the "reset" will still probably exist... just not in the capacity that you are wanting it to be

I've lost more games than I can count because most of my damage comes from the clash, and because by that time.... I usually only have a bar left.... so they gain all the health because Grundy needs his meter.

I'd much rather be able to just drop a combo and go into the pain chain knowing they'll die every time. That alone would create more fear and more mistakes. Now that they can clash the pain chain..... there is no fear of guessing wrong in the "vortex"... because they'll be able to clash it no matter what. It used to be you could drop a combo (usually at the MB SH part) and time out the grab so that it didn't combo and gave you a free 31% for the win.

So yeah..... i would def. want the reset gone if I could have my unclashable trait back. He still does 50%+ damage on almost every touch. IF they took away just a few frames of advantage off b1.... you'd still be able to toss out f1,3 and mixup from there.

Grundy was much better when you couldn't clash his trait.