What's new

Boon asks, "You wanna see Watchmen characters in Injustice 2?"

No. No. No. No.

Please respect the Watchmen. They aren't supposed to be Superheroes. DC owns the property now but they really should consider respecting Moore's creation.

Watchmen is an important part of comic history, but it feels like overtime we are forgetting the point of the series. This is just accelerating it. It is thematic vandalization.

DC should do the right thing and transfer the rights back to Moore.

GOOD DRAGON

Awesometacular
No. No. No. No.

Please respect the Watchmen. They aren't supposed to be Superheroes. DC owns the property now but they really should consider respecting Moore's creation.

Watchmen is an important part of comic history, but it feels like overtime we are forgetting the point of the series. This is just accelerating it. It is thematic vandalization.

Watchmen is an American comic-book limited series published by DC Comics in 1986 and 1987, and collected in 1987. The series was created by a British collaboration consisting of writer Alan Moore, artist Dave Gibbons, and colorist John Higgins. Watchmen originated from a story proposal Moore submitted to DC featuring superhero characters that the company had acquired from Charlton Comics. As Moore's proposed story would have left many of the characters unusable for future stories, managing editor Dick Giordano convinced Moore to create original characters instead.

Looks like DC have always owned it.

GOOD DRAGON

Awesometacular
As much as Dr. Manhattan is super awesometacular i think he would be a bit too O.P for the game - they would literally have to limit 80% of his abilities. Rorscharch or the comedian would be more suited me thinks

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
No. No. No. No.

They're also part of the main DCU now, so yeah, not happening.

Watchmen is an American comic-book limited series published by DC Comics in 1986 and 1987, and collected in 1987. The series was created by a British collaboration consisting of writer Alan Moore, artist Dave Gibbons, and colorist John Higgins. Watchmen originated from a story proposal Moore submitted to DC featuring superhero characters that the company had acquired from Charlton Comics. As Moore's proposed story would have left many of the characters unusable for future stories, managing editor Dick Giordano convinced Moore to create original characters instead.

Looks like DC have always owned it.
They own it- the controversy is around how they had to lie to get ownership. Understandably Moore was upset because he specifically wanted Watchmen to be a contained entity and prevent stuff like this from happening.

ttp://www.seraphemera.org/seraphemera_books/AlanMoore_Page1.html

Beyond the legalese though, DC's current use of the Watchmen is so wholly incompatible with the actual Watchmen as they were written, which was as a deconstruction of the classic Superhero narrative.

GOOD DRAGON

Awesometacular
They own it- the controversy is around how they had to lie to get ownership. Understandably Moore was upset because he specifically wanted Watchmen to be a contained entity and prevent stuff like this from happening.

ttp://www.seraphemera.org/seraphemera_books/AlanMoore_Page1.html

Beyond the legalese though, DC's current use of the Watchmen is so wholly incompatible with the actual Watchmen as they were written, which was as a deconstruction of the classic Superhero narrative.
This is extremely interesting. I didn't even know he did V for vendetta and the league of extraordinary gentlemen.
A few points here.

-From what i can see he was the silly billy that didn't read the contract DC put forward to him.

-From what i can gather most of DC's unwanted involvement were to change things that were either too similar to marvel or that they already had the intellectual property for on a different project. (May not be in all cases however)

-Can you clarify- If he wasn't paid correctly and they just made million off his hard work and gave him nothing in return now that's absolutely disgusting. Did they? (Plus huge company vs just 1 man they prob think - Little man fit in pocket)

-The last thing is even if he owned it when it stopped being printed, what was he going to do with it?
I understand that he is more of a underground writer as he completely distrusts the comic industry now (Even though he did go back and work with DC comics again from 1998 to 2009) but surely keeping it on a shelf isnt doing as much good as getting it out there to be re-adapted for new generations.

I feel like through DC the story of the watchmen has been able to reach millions.
The comic itself even got several awards and praise notably the "most significant works of 20th-century literature as a reflection of contemporary anxieties and a deconstruction and parody of the superhero concept"
Which makes more sense when you think about the fact that superman was meant to be a form of propaganda to represent the american military and its power.

d3v

SRK
So, DC Rebirth tie-in where Dr. Manhattan is the game's final boss?
Actually, it may be that Geoff John's direction in DC Rebirth as a whole seems to be a jab at the Watchmen, or more precisely the whole trend that it set off. John's work has been about reconstruction after all. So him getting a chance to work with the characters can be seen as somewhat fitting.

That, and it's also a take that to the Watchmen's biggest fan - Zack Snyder.

Last edited:

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
Actually, it may be that Geoff John's direction in DC Rebirth as a whole seems to be a jab at the Watchmen, or more precisely the whole trend that it set off. John's work has been about reconstruction after all.
This dude gets it!

Reactions: d3v
Watchmen would be cool, I vote yes. Would love to see Rorschach and/or Dr. Manhattan. An eventual enhanced costume DLC for Night Owl / Batman might be cool too...he's probably too similar to Batman to be anything more though. A Watchmen themed stage would also be cool with some of the non-playable characters and other recognizable items things as Night Owl's vehicle or Ozimandias' weird tiger.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I didn't know Dr Manhattan was really a fit for a fighting game. Like he doesn't really fight he just obliterates whatever, you know? What would his strings and normals look like when he doesn't really throw punches or anything like that?

I'd rather have Rorschach but maybe that's just me.